Honda XRV Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
With that kit you have no excuse, even the £15 HVLP guns on e bay will do a good job. Water/oil separators are peanuts and with that compressor you could run a power sander.
Vinyl lines and clear over the top would be fine in my opinion.
Thanks Traveller. As I'm new to all this painting malarky I've started a new thread in one of the technical sections http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/mechanical-advice/84551-painting-beginners.html#post667197

keep those tips coming

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT1X-vMMYrY

recent video of casing clean and degrease...

We used to have a chap at work who lettered up all the
racks and he used nothing more than a paintbrush and a stick with a leather ball on the end of it. The work looked like printed type. A true artist.

The wheels are away and should be getting soda blasted on Tuesday so time to think about paint. Looking at the power coat process the wheels need to be heated in an oven at 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes so I guess that's not possible with the bearings and seals (not to mention all the grease) in place so I'll probably just end up doing what I've done before and use some silver wheel paint and clear.

I will however give the powder coaters a call and double check though as powdercoating should be much more robust.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Awful picture of my repainted callipers. Not too happy with the finish as I just cleaned up then re-primered then painted over what was there and it's nowhere near as crisp as the wheels.

I'll probably end up doing them again but next time I'll take them back to bare metal.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
The squeak is no more... :)

I've had a bloody annoying squeak from under the front cover and I couldn't pin it down. A search on the internerd pointed me at the alternator brushes. I couldn't see it myself but as they were well worn I changed them but it made no difference.

So I had another look tonight and there is a little brass bush in with the points and this was as dry as a bone. A little smear of grease and silence.

Anyway hers's a short clip of the bike. The engine has had a application of wonder wheels and it's come up well. I may give it another application to get the last of the grime off.

Not much left but odds and sods and paint now.

No squeak - YouTube

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Fork seals done this evening. Due to the recessed nature of the seals and not being able to use the old seal or socket as a drift I ended up having to make something out of a bit of PVC drain pipe and stretching it with the aid of a heat gun and socket for a mandrel. Worked like a charm.

The forks themselves came to bits no problem and the seals were changed in no time. Oil wise I think they had 20/50 in them and at that about half of the volume in the book. I've refilled with 10W as I though they were a bit springy but in retrospect this was probably down to the lack of oil so only a test run will tell for sure.

And that's it.. As far as putting it back together and getting it back on the road we are done. There's still a bit of cleaning and the paint needs doing but I may have to wait as it's so cold here I can't see me getting any sort of finish but I'm impatient so may end up having a go.

Maintenance wise I suppose I should think about removing the gearbox and checking the clutch and lubing the splines and in time I will do as these are the sort of jobs that keep me out of mischief on an evening.

I suppose I should now take a look at the lad's bike and see why I keep knocking it over :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Admit it, your hooked!!!! :)
Well they are certainly easy to work on and for a 35 year old bike everything came apart without resorting to the torch so that made things easy. Yes there were problems but they were mostly down to parts being interchanged between models. It has been fun to work on and costs wise it's not been too expensive. In fact I think struck it lucky as I paid bottom price for a bike that needed a lot of work and by and large that's all it needed. I reckon I've only spent about £150 including service items (and the exhaust spanner) so I'm well under budget. I still have paint to buy so that will boost costs a bit but by and large I think I've struck lucky.

I do have to admit that if I had more room I'd have another old bike, but I don't, so it will have to be something I really want to come along at the right price before that would happen. I suppose if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse I'd sell the bike now, but I bought it to chug around on a summers day and I've not actually done that yet, so for me to let it go now they would have to be persistent. Let's face it it's never going to be worth a lot but it is a cracking well sorted wee bike.

I still have an old Honda C90 that's taking up room and needs a new clutch so that may be next on the list. Even just to do up and sell which will free up some space. Then of course the XR400 needs fork seals so that's on the list.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
What year is the C90?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
What year is the C90?
I cant remember.. F reg I think so that would be '88. It's a bit of a heap as I used it as my snow and ice bike when I was commuting by bike. It is complete and apart from a duff battery and a slipping kickstart (which I think is down to clutch plates) everything works. Last time I started it I put some fresh fuel in it and pushed it down the drive and it started. Not bad for 5 years in the garden shed.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Hi Gordon,

I have been down in Wells today helping a mate out with his new premises. His dad (Pete) also came to help and he turned up on one of his BMW's

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Ooo that's one of those modern early 80s bikes.. I know someone else in this parish who is also getting one.

Common as muck I tell you :)

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Don't get me started on ukgsers.. :hitler:
I don't go there much and certainly don't subscribe.
Basically a bunch of good folk and some good forums ruined by a handful of complete ****ers and the wannabee ****ers that fawn after them masturbating their fragile egos.

Much as it hurts I just leech of them and won't contribute till the admins give the place a shake and put the idiots in their place.

Damn. I'm started now.
A pretty accurate assessment there Boris ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I enjoyed reading this thread. New boy here just joined. I also have an R45 but it has been converted to 750cc with Guzzi pistons and shortened R80 Barrels and l;eading link forks. Home made exhaust as well. A hoot to ride but being short stroke on the original R45 conrods you need to wring its neck a bit. Call it the bumblebee. Shouldn't fly but it does. I also have an R80 Mono also a wee bit tampered with.
:D
R80 Mono

R45/750

·
Bus Driver
245 Posts
hi all , I've just found this thread on google after buying a 1980 BMW R65, its a bit rough and not a great runner! but we'll get there eventually... Haven't been on this forum for ages, wonder is the virtual jukebox still goin?
DSCF9981.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
hi all , I've just found this thread on google after buying a 1980 BMW R65, its a bit rough and not a great runner! but we'll get there eventually... Haven't been on this forum for ages, wonder is the virtual jukebox still goin?
And I've still not painted the bike... Everything else has been done and I've been using it but this thing is still rattle can black over yellow tartan!

I was waiting till it warmed up and I was planning to paint it myself but it looks like I've missed the boat for another year :)

As for the jukebox. It's still there but someone needs to stick a shilling in it http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/chatter/15709-virtual-jukebox.html

181 - 198 of 198 Posts