Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: My new project

And here it is after a few days work. I still have to do the fork seals (they have a tiny weep) and the pushrod seals and of course there is the paint but mechanically the bike is sound and I reckon it could pass an MOT.

And a quick blast

BMW R45 / R65 project quick shakedown ride - YouTube

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Wearing the latest in protective gear I see. :mrgreen:

Looking good though, seems to run well.
Of course. nothing but the latest CE approved oily jumper and joggers for me.

All of the gear all of the time. That's my motto :)

As you are an hour ahead of me happy new year by the way

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Right. Although it's not finished to my satisfaction it's now ready for the MOT so I've just insured it.

I have to admit the cost was a bit of a shock..

£26.50 fully comp

Being old has it's advantages :)

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

Right. Although it's not finished to my satisfaction it's now ready for the MOT so I've just insured it.

I have to admit the cost was a bit of a shock..

£26.50 fully comp

Being old has it's advantages :)

Is that you or the bike ?? :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Well it PASSED it's MOT today. So I suppose I can start to spend some money on they thing knowing that at least there is nothing else stopping me using it.

Things left
Fork seals (just a weep and not enough to fail the MOT but they will get worse)
Pushrod seals
Paint

On the latter I think I'll just buy the spanneras general consensus is you should remove the nuts each year and grease and motorworks are selling them for £21 so by the time I take Roger up on his loan offer the round trip postage would pretty much be more than half of the new price.

Before I buy though has anyone got one lying around unused that they wish to sell. I'm looking for this sort of thing.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
On the loan bit, they weigh very little, I'd say large letter post, about £2.50 both ways :)

If your doing the push rod seals you might want to consider doing the tubes as well, the stainless ones available will last for years, much longer than the stock. :) I have a push rod tube tool in the garage you can borrow with an exhaust spanner :)

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts

You can do the push rod rubbers without the tool, but if Thunder is offering:D A very blunt screwdriver does well.
I can't recall, but I think I silicone lubed mine to assist getting them in and protection.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

And if you're doing pushrod seals and tubes, you might as well replace piston rings and big end bearings while it's all open. ;-)
I'm not keeping it that long.

It's only got 24K on it and is pretty smokeless and I can see me putting more than a thousand or so a year on it so bearings and rings can wait till needed. I don't even think I'll do the pushrod tubes unless they are are in a bad way. This bike will never be worth enough to justify non essential expenditure.

Now if it was an old R80GS that would be different :)

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
You can do the push rod rubbers without the tool, but if Thunder is offering:D A very blunt screwdriver does well.
I can't recall, but I think I silicone lubed mine to assist getting them in and protection.
I was talking about the tube tool to get the buggers in, like you I go with lube and a blunt a blunt screw driver.

Now Boris I have a ring compressor you can borrow if you do decide to sort your pistons :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I was talking about the tube tool to get the buggers in, like you I go with lube and a blunt a blunt screw driver.

Now Boris I have a ring compressor you can borrow if you do decide to sort your pistons :)
Ahh I hadn't realised I needed a tool to fit the rubbers. The video I watched on the internet the lad just shoved them onto the barrels 90 degrees out. Pushed the barrels back onto the studs till the seals passed the frame then rotated them back to they were the correct way and shoved the barrels home. Torquing up the head pushed them fully home.

So where does the tool come in?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Ahh I hadn't realised I needed a tool to fit the rubbers. The video I watched on the internet the lad just shoved them onto the barrels 90 degrees out. Pushed the barrels back onto the studs till the seals passed the frame then rotated them back to they were the correct way and shoved the barrels home. Torquing up the head pushed them fully home.

So where does the tool come in?
No the tool is used to fit the push rod tubes, the rubbers themselves just need a bit of guidance to settle them into place.

If your going to change the actual punch rod tubes, the tool can also be used in removing the old ones and install the new. It's nothing more than a machined piece of metal by the way but having changed a number of the bloody things very useful. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

No the tool is used to fit the push rod tubes, the rubbers themselves just need a bit of guidance to settle them into place.

If your going to change the actual punch rod tubes, the tool can also be used in removing the old ones and install the new. It's nothing more than a machined piece of metal by the way but having changed a number of the bloody things very useful. ;)
Thanks that makes sense. Am I likely to need to change the tubes. They look fine from the outside.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
As far as the pushrods tubes go, they are a known issue on airheads, being mild steel and exposed to all the crap that gets thrown round them they are prone to rust. As yours is relatively low mileage they may be fine, personally I'd consider investing the 40 quid a set of stainless ones cost if your going to change the rubbers, it's worth it just for the experience and it can add to the value of the bike when you sell it :)

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

Well it PASSED it's MOT today. So I suppose I can start to spend some money on they thing knowing that at least there is nothing else stopping me using it.

Things left
Fork seals (just a weep and not enough to fail the MOT but they will get worse)
Pushrod seals
Paint

On the latter I think I'll just buy the spanneras general consensus is you should remove the nuts each year and grease and motorworks are selling them for £21 so by the time I take Roger up on his loan offer the round trip postage would pretty much be more than half of the new price.

Before I buy though has anyone got one lying around unused that they wish to sell. I'm looking for this sort of thing.
Oi Boris.

Seen this?

41 - 60 of 198 Posts