Honda XRV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Ive watched that about 8 times since you posted it, without going all "I remember the times" sort of thing, that really is an example of an art which is being lost. :(

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Ive watched that about 8 times since you posted it, without going all "I remember the times" sort of thing, that really is an example of an art which is being lost. :(
We used to have a chap at work who lettered up all the racks and he used nothing more than a paintbrush and a stick with a leather ball on the end of it. The work looked like printed type. A true artist.

The wheels are away and should be getting soda blasted on Tuesday so time to think about paint. Looking at the power coat process the wheels need to be heated in an oven at 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes so I guess that's not possible with the bearings and seals (not to mention all the grease) in place so I'll probably just end up doing what I've done before and use some silver wheel paint and clear.

I will however give the powder coaters a call and double check though as powdercoating should be much more robust.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I'll save you the cost of the call, powder coating is out with the bearings in place, you mentioned earlier about having to shim them when refitting which is a total bollox so plan on paint would be my call. :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
you mentioned earlier about having to shim them when refitting which is a total bollox so plan on paint would be my call. :thumbright:
Is that bollox in the Irish sense in so much that "It's a bollox of a job to shim the bearings" or in the Scottish sense that "It's a load of bollocks that you need to shim the bearings" in other words it's not true and you don't need to shim them.

One language but that Irish sea has a lot to answer for

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Is that bollox in the Irish sense in so much that "It's a bollox of a job to shim the bearings" or in the Scottish sense that "It's a load of bollocks that you need to shim the bearings" in other words it's not true and you don't need to shim them.

One language but that Irish sea has a lot to answer for
The former!!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Wheels are off the bike and tyres off the rims.

The front was the hardest tubed tyre I've ever had to remove and generated a bit of sweat but its off now and I think the tube is OK.

So off to Keith for soda blasting. I'm not sure what finish (paint or lacquer or both) they will need. Any suggestions?

And they're back.

They have come up well. Especially the front and looks as good as new. The rear is smooth but both still need paint to finish them off.

Plan is to put on an etch primer, a base coat in silver and then a lacquer. All wheel specific paints. I've ordered them and hopefully they will be here for the weekend. As I need somewhere warm to paint I may have to wait till the wife goes out :)

The brake carriers also came up well but for now I'll leave them untreated and see how they fare.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Very smart, soda is amazing for cleaning alloy, look forward to seeing the finished article :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
The wife wasn't too impressed when she came home from work and found me scrubbing the wheels in the kitchen sink. I'd read somewhere if you don't get all the soda off it produces tiny amounts of CO2 which can lift paint and I though better safe than sorry.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
You've heard correctly, wise move. As for scrubbing bike bits in the kitchen sink, that's nothing compared to her arriving home unexpectantly and fining the oven on full blast with your barrels heating up ready for new push rod tubes, DAMHIK!!!! :D

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
The wife wasn't too impressed when she came home from work and found me scrubbing the wheels in the kitchen sink. I'd read somewhere if you don't get all the soda off it produces tiny amounts of CO2 which can lift paint and I though better safe than sorry.
None of her business Gordon! :hitler:

I'm a lodger in my own house these days.....saves all that stress mate! :profileleft:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
You've heard correctly, wise move. As for scrubbing bike bits in the kitchen sink, that's nothing compared to her arriving home unexpectantly and fining the oven on full blast with your barrels heating up ready for new push rod tubes, DAMHIK!!!! :D
Ah, is that where I'd gone wrong... They were a bit of a pain to get in in january at -2 in an unheated shed. :iconbiggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
So I get the heating on full in the garage and I made myself a wheel stand out of a read paddock stand and I'm pretty pleased with it. It allows me to spin the wheels and get to both sides of them

So with that done the garage was like a sauna so I set about getting a couple of coats of etch primer on. Seems to go on well although it it has had a somewhat filling effect and had smoothed out the cast finish of the wheel a little. Something that I was hoping to keep. That notwithstanding I'm happy with the finish.

Now it has to sit for 24 hours to harden before I can get a colour coat on.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Colour coat on. I went for silver

Two good coats on and not enough left in the tin for number three but I don't think it will need it. I'll have a really good look in daylight tomorrow and see if I need another can.

Big question is do I put a clear coat on or not? I have a can here but looking at the colour can it says "for a high gloss finish apply our clear lacquer" (or such thing). The inference is it's optional and I don't want a high gloss finish. I like them just as they are. Clear will certainly add an amount of protection but at what cost to looks?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Any way you can do a test on something? Lacquer will make cleaning much easier but I understand where your coming from on maintaining the original look.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Any way you can do a test on something? Lacquer will make cleaning much easier but I understand where your coming from on maintaining the original look.
I could probably spray the inside of the rim where the tube sits. It's had the same amount of paint as the rest of the wheel and will be out of sight once the tyre is mounted.

Good thought.. I'll give it a go

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you hav any local contacts that could blow over the wheels with some two pack matt clearcoat? It would provide a realy durable finish.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Do you hav any local contacts that could blow over the wheels with some two pack matt clearcoat? It would provide a realy durable finish.
Not really to a tame painter. If I had one of them they would have had the whole job. :).

I did pop out and give part of the inner rim a quick coat of the lacquer I'd bought and it's horrible. It will make the wheels really stand out and that's just what I don't want as there is so much matt alloy on the engine and bevel drive. So, unless I can find some compatible matt lacquer I'll just have to go with what I have and see how it holds up. I suppose at worst I'll have to give it a rub down and stick another colour coat on with lacquer and I'd rather have that than curse the wheels every time I see them.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Not really to a tame painter. If I had one of them they would have had the whole job. :).

I did pop out and give part of the inner rim a quick coat of the lacquer I'd bought and it's horrible. It will make the wheels really stand out and that's just what I don't want as there is so much matt alloy on the engine and bevel drive. So, unless I can find some compatible matt lacquer I'll just have to go with what I have and see how it holds up. I suppose at worst I'll have to give it a rub down and stick another colour coat on with lacquer and I'd rather have that than curse the wheels every time I see them.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

I'd convinced myself yesterday to skip the lacquer but it bothered me that the finish wouldn't be anything like durable enough so this morning I went out and had a good look outside it the test patch I did and it wasn't half as glossy now it had time to dry.

So I've lacquered them. Time will tell if it's been the right choice but they look pretty good if I say so myself.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts