Honda XRV Forum banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the and result, wait until the tyres are on though, always looks better :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Today's update.
Managed a few hours this morning and another couple this afternoon.

Stripped and cleaned the carbs and changed the alternator brushes. Had a bit of a scare when I started the bike and it melted through the tie downs. Luckily one strap held long enough to stop the bike falling over.

In the evening I fitted the tyre to the rear rim, fitted the wheel and set about the centrestand bushes which resulted in a bit of deja-vu. Second set of bushes were still wrong and these were the BMW part from a main dealer with the part number taken from their fiche. The ones on the bike were 9.5mm thick (on the axis of the bolt) whereas the new ones 11mm. The other dimension was the same though.

Anyway like the other lot if anyone has an immediate use for them they are free to a good home.

In the meantime I think the stand has a date with the welder.

Did I mention deja-vu?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Today's update.
Managed a few hours this morning and another couple this afternoon.

Stripped and cleaned the carbs and changed the alternator brushes. Had a bit of a scare when I started the bike and it melted through the tie downs. Luckily one strap held long enough to stop the bike falling over.

Woh, woh woh! You started the bike without the wheels fitted and you got a bit of a scare? Jayzuz I bet you did!!!!

Scare can barely describe it, major trouser incident in the rear baggage area is more apt!!! Glad you managed to catch it though. :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing how the wheels worked out. :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Woh, woh woh! You started the bike without the wheels fitted and you got a bit of a scare? Jayzuz I bet you did!!!!

Scare can barely describe it, major trouser incident in the rear baggage area is more apt!!! Glad you managed to catch it though. :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing how the wheels worked out. :D
Thing was I knew they were against the headers but when I tool the wheels off earlier in the week I had no intention of starting it. It was just with doing the carbs and alternator brushes I thought I'd start it and check for leaks and that the bike was charging OK. It completely slipped my mind. Interestingly there was no smoke or burning smell. I let it run for a minute, switched off and popped into the house. By the time I got back one strap had snapped that the other was halfway through. Not a mark on the pipes either so nothing to scrape off.

I did move rather sharpish though and lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Tyres back on and the wheels are mounted. A cursory look at the front tyre revealed why it was such a sod to remove as it's a tubeless jobbie. I kept both in my office to warm up a bit and them both went on without drama.

The other evening task was to spend a bit of time polishing the exhausts and they are coming up rather well. I'm now running the risk of "doing a Thunder" and taking bits off and polishing them.

Someone stop me please!

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
The other evening task was to spend a bit of time polishing the exhausts and they are coming up rather well. I'm now running the risk of "doing a Thunder" and taking bits off and polishing them.

Someone stop me please!
That's relaxation therapy you have discovered, highly addictive once you start :D

Wheels look great, fantastic job :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Starting to look good there. Have you had a go at the front cover or was it that shiny already? :)
A little. the bottom half was actually shinier that the top half as someone had had a go at it before. I gave it a quick once over as I'd had the bike out round the block a week back and the salt had got to it and it was covered in white speckles.

Question.
Should it be polished or should it have the same finish as the rest of the engine? I could get it to a near mirror if needs be but I'd rather keep it looking standard (whatever that is).

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Standard is as the rest of the engine casings, but some owners had them polished or even painted black.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
That's relaxation therapy you have discovered, highly addictive once you start :D

Wheels look great, fantastic job :thumbleft:
The wheels came up very well and I'm glad I used the lacquer as they don't jump out at you too much. I think its also going to be pretty durable as the front tubeless tyre (with a tube fitted) took a fair bit of levering and even without rim protectors (but highly polished levers) the wheel was unmarked.

It's really getting there now.. The thing holding it back is paint and I'm really want to get moving on this asap. I just need to find a painter locally that can do a good job for the right amount of cash.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Any final decisions on colour yet?
I'm leaning back to black. With a gold or silver pinstripe (and maybe a fine red one along side) I know it's not original but an original R45 doesn't really float anyone's boat and at least with a retro paint job it will, superficially at least, make it more appealing to those not in the know.

Not sure about mudguard, sidecases and tail section. All black but will pinstriping these make the whole thing a bit gaudy? My thoughts are..

Tank and tail unit black with single pinstripe defining the side contours
front mudguard gloss black with possibly pinstripes as per tank
Side cases just gloss black and no decals

a bit like this one.

Not sure if the tank would look better with the stripe closing the rectangle instead of disappearing under the tank. What do you think?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Phil Hawksley's site BMBikes Info is a gold mine when it comes to paint details, have a look and you'll be able to find the various colour scheme combinations including details of the actual colour codes used for pin striping, it's anorak heaven :D

To give you an idea of what I mean, that bike you posted a picture of is " Avus Black code 519 ", taking the 519 scheme number and searching the pin stripe section you find that's a white outer with a red inner and the corresponding colour codes. Told you, anorak heaven, you can even find detail shots for the different schemes in some cases. :toothy8:

Ok reproducing those colours exactly is a bit over the top but you can get an idea of what was used originally and take it from there.

As far as striping what bits and whether to close the striping on the tank that's a very personal decision, I tend to go with what I like even though some purists have a fit as it's not original but at the end of the day it's my bike so sod them!

Personally I wouldn't close the stripes on the tank as it's a long rectangular shape and I think it would look wrong, closed striping tended to be on the taller square profile tanks, but thats up to you. :happy2:

Hope that helps :thumbup:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Just occurred to me, Avus Black is the same colour the Bumblebee bike I'm working on uses so here's the paint formula if you want it. :p

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Just occurred to me, Avus Black is the same colour the Bumblebee bike I'm working on uses so here's the paint formula if you want it. :p

I just phone one place locally and he quoted me £350 assuming I do all the rubbing down and prep. He did say there was some negotiation but at that price it will be rattle cans and stick on pinstripes. That almost than half what the bike has cost to date (including purchase)

·
Registered
179 Posts
no too bad considering Over £100 of that will be paint , and its cheap if you want the pinstripes painted , rather than stick on one laquered over. also bearing in mind if you took your bike For a service it would be £50 an hour.

being in the paint trade its always annoyed me that a bafoon can servive a bike for £50 p/h nearing on over £100 p/h for cars yet painters & repairers are being haggled over £25-£30 per hour by the insurance companies . having done both I know which one is more skilled :(

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Paint it yourself. JimJam is right about the cost of a profesional doung the work. They have a wage to earn.
DIY, buy one of these
Apollo Spraymate HVLP Turbine Paint Spray System | eBay
Suprisingly good finish form this. I have an older model and use sometimes it instead of the profesional kit I have. Its High Volume Low Pressure and is very economical on paint.
Celulose paint and consumables including clearcote £60, paint for bikes are not covered by the directive re watebased paints so any paint factor will mix it for you. Half a litre of black is more than enough. Rattle can primer from the paint factor (good quality as professionals use it) and half litre of clear, five litre can of high quality thinners.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I painted the tank on my daughters bike with my apollo sprayer. Not a very clear picture but it was dented and scratched when we bought the bike. It would take more than a second glance to notice it was not original.
Its been on for five years now and still looks fine.
Ps, ignore the daisy stickers on the tank! Not my idea even the MOT tester issued a fail certificate citing too many flowers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Paint it yourself. JimJam is right about the cost of a profesional doung the work. They have a wage to earn.
DIY, buy one of these
Apollo Spraymate HVLP Turbine Paint Spray System | eBay
Suprisingly good finish form this. I have an older model and use sometimes it instead of the profesional kit I have. Its High Volume Low Pressure and is very economical on paint.
Celulose paint and consumables including clearcote £60, paint for bikes are not covered by the directive re watebased paints so any paint factor will mix it for you. Half a litre of black is more than enough. Rattle can primer from the paint factor (good quality as professionals use it) and half litre of clear, five litre can of high quality thinners.
I'm seriously thinking about it and were it not for the pinstriping I would have. I've actually got a big 3hp / 13cfm compressor and reasonably priced hvlp guns aren't hard to come by and I'd probably need to invest in something to pull the moisture and oil out of the air.

Keeping in mind that this bike is restoration on a budget I may well give it a whirl but it will mean vinyl pinstripes under the clear. It would certainly be more satisfying knowing I'd done the whole job in-house.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about it and were it not for the pinstriping I would have. I've actually got a big 3hp / 13cfm compressor and reasonably priced hvlp guns aren't hard to come by and I'd probably need to invest in something to pull the moisture and oil out of the air.

Keeping in mind that this bike is restoration on a budget I may well give it a whirl but it will mean vinyl pinstripes under the clear. It would certainly be more satisfying knowing I'd done the whole job in-house.
With that kit you have no excuse, even the £15 HVLP guns on e bay will do a good job. Water/oil separators are peanuts and with that compressor you could run a power sander.
Vinyl lines and clear over the top would be fine in my opinion.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts