Honda XRV Forum banner
65K views 197 replies 21 participants last post by  Boris 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been sniffing round this bike for a wee while now and I've eventually managed to get it.

It's a BMW R45 fitted with R65 barrels and pistons and It needs a fair bit doing to it as it's been off the road now for about 5 years.

First task is to go over it and see exactly what needs doing. I know the brakes are shot, pushrod seals are perished and the paintwork leaves a fair bit to be desired (it was painted yellow tartan at some point) but on the upside it is complete and engine runs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: My new project

What colour would it have been and do you intend restoring it?

#4 ·

I had a 1979 BMW R45 (BKW 311T :) )for a couple of years in the early '80s. To be honest it was rather crap - heavy and underpowered. The R65 had more power but probably still not enough really. Handling wasn't good, suspension typical BMW - very soft and underdamped, and the shaft tried very hard to climb up the final drive (or was it the other way round?) resulting in the back end rising on acceleration as well as the front - weird. Mine had points and getting ignition timing balanced was an art, as was getting the carbs balanced - out balance and the motor is very lumpy and almost shakes out the frame The brakes were dire. On the upside the finish was good with hand painted coach lines and deep lacquer. Alloy and chrome stood up well to the 3 winters I had.

I don't think they are future classics. I will have a poke about in the garage, I did have some heated grips, crash bars and pannier frames from the bike, but I haven't seen them in years so I probably I scrapped them a long time ago. If I can find them they are yours if you want, but don't be too expectant.

Good luck with it.

#5 ·

I've been sniffing round this bike for a wee while now and I've eventually managed to get it.

It's a BMW R46 fitted with R65 barrels and pistons and It needs a fair bit doing to it as it's been off the road now for about 5 years.

First task is to go over it and see exactly what needs doing. I know the brakes are shot, pushrod seals are perished and the paintwork leaves a fair bit to be desired (it was painted yellow tartan at some point) but on the upside it is complete and engine runs.

Gordon what about, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...v&sa=X&ei=IZTcUNzDIuy20QWAjYDgBQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ

#7 ·
That's one of the options I'm looking at. In reality I was just looking for something to while away the winter months and this came up at the right time. I also don't think it will ever be a classic but I'll get it roadworthy again and see where I go from there. I've never worked on an air head before so lots of learning opportunities.

The good news is I've just got it running again the bad there is a large pool of petrol under the bike and I have a sore head with the fumes.

Fun fun fun

#11 ·

Nice one Gordon,

Is this the baby you've been hankering after some time time now ?
Looks sweet as a nut :thumbup:

Hope you get on better than my beemer project, haven't been near it for a while, working away from home leaves little time for fetishes at weekend :(

But I've made some progress this xmas break, so not all doom and gloom :D

#12 ·

Nice one Gordon,

Is this the baby you've been hankering after some time time now ?
Looks sweet as a nut :thumbup:

Hope you get on better than my beemer project, haven't been near it for a while, working away from home leaves little time for fetishes at weekend :(

But I've made some progress this xmas break, so not all doom and gloom :D
Not really.. That was a R75/5 and mostly due to my ambivalence that one fell through and I've been kicking myself since. This one on the other hand is much less desirable (In saying that the R65 was not a bad bike and this is almost an R65) but it is nearly complete and all major items seem sound.

If I was just to get it back on the road I could probably have it done in a few days but I fancy restoring it some way. Not a factory restoration but I'd like to make it look like a well cared for 30 odd year old bike.

#13 · (Edited)

Well today's update is the braking system has been completely stripped down and rebuilt.

New seals in the master cylinder refitted (and bits of the old seal removed), All brake lines stripped and cleaned. The rubber hoses look to be in good nick but one of them was blocked with crud which even that airline wouldn't move so a length of copper wire was pressed through and then rasped back and froward. Callipers stripped and checked and all found to be ok so just a quick clean and rebuild.

Bleeding the system was on the other hand any thing but quick and simple as I just couldn't get the last of the air out. Using a series of clamps I established it was up near the master cylinder and the only way I could find to bleed was to remove it from the bars and invert it and give it 4 or 5 pumps. This pushed the air into the line and I could bleed as normal from then on. All this ended up taking a good three or four hours so just as well I wasn't charging myself..

Anyway the front end is now mechanically done so time to move rearwards and see what that brings.

I guess I better get that battery ordered now.

As an aside the mainstand seems to sit really far forward and the wheels are just millimetres off the ground. Is that normal? I must admit I haven't even looked at it I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge.

#14 ·
Yeah, the stand thing. I couldn't remember if this was a problem on my R45 or my R80ST. This is a 30 year memory so bear with.... but I seem to recall the stand pivoted on two small bushes that wore out very quickly. If both wheels are touching the ground then that will be the problem. I fixed mine once and seem to remember it being a right PITA (atent centre stand always) and the bushes weren't cheap.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

#15 · (Edited)

Yes, those bushes wear out. These are the ones that came off my GS:

A set of new ones from Motobins should fix that. The ones for my GS were 2 quid each, even a Scot should be able to manage that. :mrgreen:

Nice little project. Keeping my eye on this one... :)

You might want to think about some steel braided brake lines on there by the way. The brakes on these old airheads were never much to begin with especially compared to your 1200, the brakes on these are more a form 27B-6 filled out in triplicate sort of affair. ;-) (It's got 2 discs, at least.)

#17 ·

Yes, those bushes wear out. These are the ones that came off my GS:

A set of new ones from Motobins should fix that. The ones for my GS were 2 quid each, even a Scot should be able to manage that. :mrgreen:
Smashing. That's what I was hoping for.

You might want to think about some steel braided brake lines on there by the way. The brakes on these old airheads were never much to begin with especially compared to your 1200, the brakes on these are more a form 27B-6 filled out in triplicate sort of affair. ;-) (It's got 2 discs, at least.)
I've thought about it but I want to keep it as original as possible. I'll see how bad they really are and then decide.

#16 ·

Just discovered Motorworks are offering free shipping for any orders to UK Mainland placed before the 1st of January so if you need bits could be a good time to get an order together. They have the main stand bushes and also a complete kit including bolts in stainless and springs.

Sadly it don't apply to us sods with a bit of water in the way :(

#22 ·

Just discovered Motorworks are offering free shipping for any orders to UK Mainland placed before the 1st of January so if you need bits could be a good time to get an order together. They have the main stand bushes and also a complete kit including bolts in stainless and springs.

Sadly it don't apply to us sods with a bit of water in the way :(

Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

Went into the garage yesterday, made up a rough shopping list for the old girl, got the reg number etc, phoned up Motorworks ---- bah, closed this Saturday GRRRR :mad:

#19 ·

Well with the 'new' battery fitted it fired right up.. It wouldn't tick over at first but once it had warmed up a bit it settled down. I even managed to have a quick turn round the block and by the time I got back it was ticking over a lot better. I suspect a good carb clean and some fresh fuel would do the world of good.

Both exhausts blowing slightly at the head and a lot of oily smoke hopefully just burning off the cylinders as the bike warmed up.
Clutch seems OK but could do with some adjustment
Gearbox is as smooth and I'd expect with no rattles
Slight weep from the fork seals so something else to add to the list
Might have felt a knock from the headraces on a speedbump so need to have another look at them
Pushrod seals are weeping on one side.
And the engine could do with a really good service as it's a bit tappety.
The front brake light switch is bust and on all the time.

Once it cooled and I had been out shopping with the Mrs <shudder> I came back and took it for another spin and no more oily smoke so hopefully that was just from storage and the exhausts didn't seem to be blowing now.

All in all I'm really pleased. Even the 30odd year old chrome is in reasonable nick

#21 ·

A bit tappety is just what it should be. No such thing as a quiet pushrod twin... Loud valves save lives. If there's no valve noise you have to watch out. ;-)
A couple of questions...

Do the valves clearances close up or open up with wear?

Looking at the Haynes manual it suggests re-torquing the head bolts each service. I'm happy to do it but I cant quite get if it means you loosen each bolt quarter of a turn then re-torque one bolt at a time. or do you loosen all of the bolts a quarter of a turn first and then re-torque them?

Today's lesson is not to unscrew the large screw to remove the top cover of the throttle cables at the twistgrip. It was fun getting it back together again.

#25 ·

Right you lot:D
It is going to cost more than it is worth, but the 65 is a very good bike. I wanted an earlier bike, but Schorsch, my R65, came up and I've spent so much money on it it has to stay. I only named it as I now have Max as well:D Piccies in my signature.
Re main stand, no bushes on a 65. You might get an engineering firm to widen the holes on the frame then get them to make bushes for you.
When the pivot wears, it does make it harder to get on the stand and as you say, only just clears the ground.
To remove the main stand, create yourself a tool. That'll be a 6 mm Allen key with the short end cut even shorter, so that it fits the Allen bolt from the engine side; makes sense when you see it.
Your model is a 1978-80 bike, so 100% definitely unleaded heads. You can put up with carrying additives. Bugger that, I got my heads unleaded and all four guides redone with harder material.
When you have had the heads off and fitted new head gaskets, you need to re-tighten the heads after two hundred miles and boy don't forget it. When I checked my clearances after two hundred miles and re tightening the heads, they were half the gap!
Yes, if you drive carefully and not high speed on motorways, you might get away with not having the heads converted, but I don't want to think about it and I want to ride however I want to.
Whilst you've got the exhausts off, get a Sure-foot side stand, worth every penny, infinitely better than the 65 standard side stand.
Now crack on:thumbup:

#27 ·

Right you lot:D
It is going to cost more than it is worth, but the 65 is a very good bike.
Mine is actually a 45 but fitted with 65 barrels. It cost next to nothing so I'm not expecting much in return.

Re main stand, no bushes on a 65. You might get an engineering firm to widen the holes on the frame then get them to make bushes for you.
When the pivot wears, it does make it harder to get on the stand and as you say, only just clears the ground.
To remove the main stand, create yourself a tool. That'll be a 6 mm Allen key with the short end cut even shorter, so that it fits the Allen bolt from the engine side; makes sense when you see it.
Mine has bushes. I've already pulled the stand (and needed to cut down a allen key to do it). Problem is there is pretty much no wear on them and the new ones listed in Motorworks for the 70-80 bikes look wrong. Mine look more like the 80 onwards ones. I guess the stand could be a later addition

Your model is a 1978-80 bike, so 100% definitely unleaded heads. You can put up with carrying additives. Bugger that, I got my heads unleaded and all four guides redone with harder material.
As I say mine has been retrofitted with 650 bits. Are the heads likely to be the original 45 ones or are they changed as part of the 650 conversion and is there any markings on the head to signify it has the hardened valve seats?

When you have had the heads off and fitted new head gaskets, you need to re-tighten the heads after two hundred miles and boy don't forget it. When I checked my clearances after two hundred miles and re tightening the heads, they were half the gap!
Will do

Now crack on:thumbup:
I have been.... Actually the bike is in much better condition that I first thought with no rust whatsoever. I've given it a once over and apart from a service and the pushrod seals it 'could' be on the road. I've ridden worse bikes as daily transport.

I now need to locate the correct tool for removing the finned exhaust clamps. I could almost swear I've seen one lying around my dad's place. Some report success with a chisel anyone here got advice?

#26 ·

I thought it's the valve seats and not the guides that need to be harder.

At least that was the issue with my old LeMans III.

The OEM Guides worked just fine, but the valve seats got bashed badly without the lead acting as a damper and lubricant.

But that was a Guzzi and everyone knows that an Italian Ingegnere designs everything different compared to a German Ingenieur

#33 ·

One of mine came from Guy Henderson in the US through Adv Rider, he machined a few from billet aluminium, very light and it used the bikes stock wheel not wrench as a handle the idea being it was easy to carry on your travels. Was actually a thing of beauty, it used to sit on my desk as paper weight. :D

#34 ·

Gordon,

I've got one that came with the bike ( along with a full original tool kit :thumbup: :teeth: )

You can have a shot if you wish, I'll need it back at some point to put the old girl back together again.
Get back to me if you wish, but I wouldn't expect to get much sense out of me for the next couple of days or so ;);):D

#35 ·

I know it's a 45, I can read you know!! :D It's only the barrels, carbs and inlet valves that differentiate; I'm pretty sure the heads are the same.
Kjell, yes it needs harder seats, but after 40-50,000 miles, it is probably wise to replace the guides. Quite frankly though, as I was having the unleaded work done and they were replacing both exhaust valves, it made total economic and safety sense to replace the guides and why not all four, the heads are good for another 50,000 miles.
I agree with Thunder about exhaust clamps. If they're stubborn, dremel through, prise and snap off; FARRRRRRR cheaper than new heads.
Oops, forgot about the main stand bushes, but my originals were perfect, even though I fitted new ones, I still think it would be best to drill the frame mounts and fit slightly oversized bushes. You could offset the holes by a mm or so to give good ground clearance.

#37 ·

Just checking genuine workshop manual and it looks like the heads are different.
Reason:
R45 bore = 69.995 - 70.015 mm standard
R65 bore = 81.995 - 82.015 mm standard
Valve size would be a better indication as if they are the same there is a good chance they could be placed centrally enough so the one head could cover both sets of barrels. From what I've read the 45 is little more than a sleeved down 65

#38 ·

R45 inlet 32mm, R65 38mm. R65 inlet may have increased again in 1981.
I cannot find a definitive answer as to whether they use different heads.
Whilst bores are vastly different, I wonder if heads are the same with the squish area taking up the difference.
I'm not going to guess, you're on your own;)

#40 ·

Aha!

They increased the R65 inlet to 40mm after 1981.
Still doesn't say if the heads are different:D
The heads will have to be different if the valves are different sizes. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't interchangeable but Id be surprised if a 65 head fitted on the 45 as the valve would probably hit the edge of the bore.

The 45 heads on the 65 will work and you may well gain low rpm power due to the higher intake speed but at the expense of top end power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.