Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 'R' reg Ducati ST2 in silver with full luggage set ( not fitted) three previous owners

Well I've never owned a duke before so bought a project off the UKGSER website(like you do!)
Came in pieces, I didn';t hear it run before I bought it
With a FDSH up to 28500miles ( its now on 31,000miles after a 2 year stand unused!:rolleyes:

It had stood because the previous owner kept getting water in his petrol tank!
All it was , was a blocked breather/drain on the petrol filler (crap design) so when the bike was left out it slowly fillled the tank with water stopping it running.
The owner gave up ( didn't know what was wrong) and abandoned the bike for 2 years and having paid Ducati dealers more than once to drain the water from the tank you think he'd have sussed the fault.
I've had it running hence decided to get it up back on the road and not break it up:thumbright:

Came with new belts fitted,news clutch, new battery new clutch slave & handlebar master cylinder, BUT needed a better seat(or recover)spare mirror, screen, seat,decals,servicing bits and bobs fastners, better front brake lever and a DEEP clean.......

As for the 'water fault' I've just taken the innards from a later ( St2 ) tank and changed them over and as the tank came with the bike it was ( I have put a new petrol filter in the tank!)

see below

AS BOUGHT

PROGRESSING

Just needs oil/filter service
brake lever fitting
Front fork oilseals fitting
Mirrors repainted & putting back on
and a wee bit of tinkering!
Then MOT time:blob4:

Then I shall move it on as I want another sT2 in RED:thumbup::thumbup:

So watch the sales section

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well all that is left to do now is engine oil/ filter change and front fork oil seals
I'm still on the look out for a new/ better screen but the one fitted will do for now.
MOT NEXT....................
But will I keep it?:D..........?

"Turned out nice ain't it "

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
About time you finished it...it's not like your'e working for a living anymore :lol::lol: BTW it looks nice :thumbleft:
Sounds beautiful and if I can source a set of Baines racing exhausts ( I know where a set are hiding!) who knows I may not sell it for another after all its a V twin:angel2:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well I like the ST Ducati soooooo much I sold the 'Dark Side' 1150GSA and bought the bike below

I rode it 120miles on collection day in pouring rain and spent all today cleaning it:toothy2:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Steve

What about the AT though ?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice one Steve

What about the AT though ?
mmmm it will have to wait a while....but at least the duke is a 'V' twin :blob3:

HTMBO says i have to sell the silver one now....too many bikes again Dooh

The Silver one will beup forsale on Ducasti website soon ....may already be sold !

but now the RED one is home and properly cleaned after 120miles in the rain ( sunday) and here it is for now

I like it , I like it a lot !

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Silver ST2 is now provisionally sold to a mate three doors away ( after he had a test ride on my RED one) and & I'm keeping the minter of a RED ST2 ( non project) Bike:thumbleft:

I may be back on an AT .........when I get bored with the clackaty clack of an ST2 dry clutch :blob2:

TTFN

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks good Steve had one overtake me today sounded the dogs bo&***s defiately not standard cans :thumb:
Even on standard cans they sound Gr8
They are a VERY underrated bike and VERY cheap( much cheaper than At's) for what they are as second hand bikes.
I've even checked the 14yr old RED ones history on the MOT database against its reg/v5c it appears 'genuine' with 4700 kilometers on its last MOT and all previous MOT's back its LOW milage up.
This was a parallel import at first registration hence the kph clock

Perhaps it was the need to believe the milage so I checked
;)
Now I do, she currently stands at 5600 kilometers ( and growing) I think one of the previous owners who kept it standing in a 'conservatory' as an ornament has done it no harm at all.
but it deserves to be ridden:thumbup:
It will continue to be kept mint ( as is my way)

Cheers

Magwa:thumbup:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yep definately is beauty :D its funny with bikes something like yours don't make that much , then something i would say are crap people go mad over and pay over odds for :banghead: i like ccm's white power suspension and brembo brakes etc but they never make alot either i'm looking for bargin bike at minute :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yep definately is beauty :D its funny with bikes something like yours don't make that much , then something i would say are crap people go mad over and pay over odds for :banghead: i like ccm's white power suspension and brembo brakes etc but they never make alot either i'm looking for bargin bike at minute :thumb:
agreed ( I pm'd you)
I picked up a CCM ( SM) for my brother on a 2007 plate under 7000miles ( mint) for £800....
nobody wants them but a great way back into bikes after 25yrs away for him :thumbup:

I just had to fit some front fork black gaiters a new front tyre and set of rear pads ( after these pic's were taken)

so my brother is back in the saddle after 20yrs plus away job done

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well the silver ducati was sold to a mate today so heres the goodbye picture :(:(:(:(

I'm NOT saying Ducati's are CHEAP but both of these bikes together didn't cost a lot, infact far less than a wreck of a AT......yes really !

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And now after two years Ive sold the Red Ducati and bought what will be MY LAST bike....A 2009 Triumph Thruxton. I shall "retire" from riding in about two years as I've got my name down for a new Morgan Threewheeler:thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
That's very nice Steve

Shame you will be retiring from biking in 2 years

Everyone has a plan - hope it works well for you

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's very nice Steve

Shame you will be retiring from biking in 2 years

Everyone has a plan - hope it works well for you
Yes Diabetes has caused me to reconsider biking, I only ride when I feel well and in fair weather so it seems time to get back soley into cars. The nearest thing to a bike is a Morgan threewheeler and as I've had them in the past it was an easy decision. So I'll have a "minter" of a thruxton to sell in two years

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Yes Diabetes has caused me to reconsider biking, I only ride when I feel well and in fair weather so it seems time to get back soley into cars. The nearest thing to a bike is a Morgan threewheeler and as I've had them in the past it was an easy decision. So I'll have a "minter" of a thruxton to sell in two years
You're trying to sell it to me now aren't you Steve, sowing the seed, I can tell !! LOL

Sorry to hear about your condition. Take care.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is nice Steve been thinking about a Bonnie myself :thumbright:
Having now done 200miles on it ( blooming cold out there) I'm a full convert. To be fair Ive had three previous Hinckley Triumphs ( Trophy/ daytona/ Tiger) and a couple of oil leakers from pre Hinkley days. The new Bonnie ( and derivatives) have good build quality and nice neutral handling, good all round bikes. I'd prefer an nice AT over a Scrambles model though if I was going off road :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts