Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine and the white 2013 model I test rode a few weeks ago to show you how different they look.

Back to my new one.

First impressions to follow as I find out more about it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The black one looks better than the white:thumbup:
What's your first impression of the verseys, four cylinders would be better than the Vara for road use , smoother and longer between gears.
Umm I'll have to try one me thinks:rolleyes:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Blimey Ian, that's gonna be weird, you not riding a Honda.

Don't let Pete see that photo of the salt on the downpipes, he'll have a bloddy heart attack :D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a lot lighter than the Varadero. I can push it around like I used to move my AT, no worries about parking facing downhill. It's very good for feet up U-turns, the weight is low down and the engine/clutch very easy to control.

It's got more low down pull than the Varadero, a lot more, but it is buzzier and sounds like it is revving hard at 70mph. However, when I look at the rev counter it is revving lower than the Varadero was at any speed. In fact I have so far been going straight up to 6th gear and trying go up again even in town on 40mph roads. Something to get used to I suppose.

Not keen on a digital speedo, I have got used to working out my speed by the angle of the needle when riding into a bright sun, won't be able to do that now.

Riding position is comfortable, seat slightly narrower than I am used to. Brakes are goodish, I'm gald to be back to non linked type. Tyres seem to have more grip in the current weathery nastiness, but that could be the pure road tyres rather than trail types.

Definitely worth a test ride. Try the new one, it seems better than the earlier one, to me anyway.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blimey Ian, that's gonna be weird, you not riding a Honda.

Don't let Pete see that photo of the salt on the downpipes, he'll have a bloddy heart attack :D
He's seen it, been lying down in a darkened room with a cup of camomile and a lace hanky ever since.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I cant believe how ugly some modern bikes are especially the white version. The silencer is an abomination. it looks like a specials builder has said 'Oh hell I will just lash this on'.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant believe how ugly some modern bikes are especially the white version. The silencer is an abomination. it looks like a specials builder has said 'Oh hell I will just lash this on'.
The exhaust is not Kawasaki's finest moment. When you consider they made some of the most gorgeous bikes in the 70s and 80s, they seem to have lost the knack.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The new front fairing is a lot better compared to the old model.

Have they solved the pannier racks for the new one?
The old one had perhaps not the nicest solution of pannier racks.

Looking forward reading Your impressions after driving it for a while.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new front fairing is a lot better compared to the old model.

Have they solved the pannier racks for the new one?
The old one had perhaps not the nicest solution of pannier racks.

Looking forward reading Your impressions after driving it for a while.
The Kawasaki panniers somehow clip on to the new rear grab rail. I can see lots of slots and stuff cut out of them ready for that.

I prefer to do what a lot of my mates do, have two panniers on the way somewhere like a rally or holiday, then use one as a top box when travelling locally after arrival. That's why I was going for the old fashioned type Givi panniers/topboxes rather than the newer V35 which I had on the Varadero.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
cool looking bike I like the idea of a 4 cylinder well wear with her . the white one don't look a patch on it . I remember when the 2008 fireblade came out first one I seen was white I taught it looked ugly as sin then I saw a black one and it looked the biz I actualy had one for 3 days it was hoot to ride deceptively fast it handled better on worn out tires than any thing else I ever rode on new tyres . no bike for a novice on a wet road just too much power but fair handy yoke for evading high speed pursuit on a dry road in the right hands :toothy9:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from Suffolk where I went to buy one of those weird tanklock mounts and bag. About 85 miles up on the clock now. gearbox is a little looser than when I got it.

The screen definitely keeps the wind off your hands on the lower positions. When I raised it the difference was very noticeable in the current weather.

The front is covered in crud (as are my boots and visor), the rear shock still looks like it's new and the back of the engine is gleaming. The built in rear hugger is obviously up to scratch.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool looking bike I like the idea of a 4 cylinder well wear with her . the white one don't look a patch on it . I remember when the 2008 fireblade came out first one I seen was white I taught it looked ugly as sin then I saw a black one and it looked the biz I actualy had one for 3 days it was hoot to ride deceptively fast it handled better on worn out tires than any thing else I ever rode on new tyres . no bike for a novice on a wet road just too much power but fair handy yoke for evading high speed pursuit on a dry road in the right hands :toothy9:
I liked the red white and blue stripy ones!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I liked the red white and blue stripy ones!

im not sure if I seen the 2008 model in red white and blue I have a seen a red and black one and that was nicer than the all black . the earlier 1000 blade in the hrc colours is a thing of beauty and would be my first choice but even if I had the dosh I wouldn't trust myself with one its wouldn't be long before I was acting the maggot on it on public roads and we all know what the public the silly bastards are capable of me included :toothy9:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fitted the tanklock, took about a minute....and that included finding the allen key I don't think I've ever used before, very small. Bit less hassle than my usual solution of a Bagster tank cover.

I tried the larger tank bag (25 litre) whilst I was at the shop I bought it from, just by holding it over the filler cap to see where it would sit in relation to the bars etc. It was too large, not only would it have stopped the handlebars turning, it would have been pressing hard against the centre of the bars. The next size down, the 20 litre looked okay though.

Trying it out once the tank lock was fitted showed it to be just the right size. The handle bars touch it slightly on full lock, but no chance of any buttons being pressed, they were well clear.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm feeling a bit 'leany forward' at the moment. I have got used to my Varadero's 2 inches up and 2 inches back risers. There doesn't look to be a lot of slack in the cables so I've ordered a plain 2 inch riser. My old risers won't work as the OE handlebars are the fat bar type. Already adjusted all the controls to be where I want them.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After looking at the supplied tool kit and bursting out laughing at Kawasaki's sense of humour, I looked at the tools I carried round on my Varadero and many many bikes before that.

Due to a stupidly placed square hole in the rear mudguard of the Honda and the British riding weather, the trough for the tool roll had secretly filled with water and rusted most of the contents.

I had dried out the bag and soaked the tools in oil for a few weeks. They were a motley collection of spanners, all different manufacturers, old pliers, fencing wire, allen keys and axle spanners that over the last 30 years had been used for many a roadside repair of my own or other peoples’ bikes. I added a new tool for the front wheel and an old 24mm Honda axle spanner to turn that.

I replaced two of the spanners that had rusted beyond bringing back from the dead and dumped the reversible screwdriver which now refused to reverse. Need to find a decent replacement for that.

Usually there is somewhere on a bike with a rubber strap to hold the tools, but the Versys only had a flat tray and the tube attached under the seat which was too small for the tools I wanted to carry.

I decide to leave the under seat tube, far too handy for spare money or puncture repair kit to get rid of and started looking for a square bag that would fit in the space provided.

I was having a look round various web sites for a suitable sized bag, but whilst getting a spare light bulb out from under the sink last night I saw a very old first aid kit sitting in the gloom. I took it out to the garage and it fitted a treat. I emptied out centuries old wipes, plasters, scissors and leech instructions, and packed it with my iffy collection of tools, wrapped in an old cloth to stop them rattling. I threw in a few gloves in a sandwich bag for good luck.

The bag sat in the space nicely, and the seat closed with no trouble. Still lots of room in the bag which is currently padded out with some spare rags, again to stop rattling.

Reactions: 621andy

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks nice Yen

much better than the older model

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some pictures of the Givi rack fitted the other day, one with one of my ancient top boxes (well it was a pannier mostly). If nothing else the pictures show that despite making a fine bike, Kawasaki have a lot to learn about mudguard design. I have never had a bike chuck so much sh*t all over itself. I took that top box off when I got in after riding 50 miles through a rain shower and it was covered in mud and grit.

Reactions: 621andy

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that reminds me . I rode over a lump of steel last year or the year before it busted my new bt45 that was on no length and made the bike handle like a dream on the road and it split the tail piece on my 600 transalp right in half .

I took it off to repair the tail piece with fiber glass and in doing so I had to remove the pannier rails that allowed me to open the little tool box there was a fairly harmless little tool collection in there they wrapped in a pair of size 18 nickers were the most rusty tools I ever seen in my life :lol: I carry a few bits in an old toiletry bag me bird was going to **** away until I spotted it and said that would be wicked handy to keep a few tools in at least its black

( in fact that reminds me of a couple of lads who were in a rock band with the brother 30 year ago and they went over to Redding to visit some friends the singer who was very proud of his appearance had a lovely toiletry bag full of all sorts of personal care products with him and was sharing a room with the base player who was a kinda farmer dude gifted base player but old school . he remarked to someone about yer man had a big bag of bottles :toothy10: )

inside my lidl magnetic tank bag I carry in my top box or pannier to keep all my tat together I even carry a bicycle pump in case I get a slow puncture . one thing I used to have that I need to replace is a head light very handy thing to have . I have a wind up led flash light but takes up one of my hands . I have noticed my front cylinder has become quite corroded from road salt . that what happens when you ride up to the end of November and put her away dirty . I know im a scruffy bastard . I would have washed it but my next door neighbour would probably come along and start chatting with me and he's a horrible 2 faces **** so id prefer not to . I had a lovely fender extender on a ntv 650 I used to have I should has unscrewed it be fair handy on the transalp but the cars would fire up dirt anyway so it wouldn't fully cure the problem .

I suppose that was the thinking behind the deep valanced mudguards or fenders I suppose to give them their right name on the old Idian chiefs to keep all the road dirt off the bike seeing as not many roads were paved back them times . so how are you liking the Versys to ride so far and what bike did it replace and how does it compare ?

you will have to excuse me ranting and raveing im drinking strong cider . I know they say you shouldn't drink and post . I say ****em :toothy10:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts