Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Tried a Givi airflow screen which was lovely up to 75mph, but when using the top box, strange air pressure developed on my head and shoulders above that speed, to the point where I arrived at work only 4 feet 2 inches tall. It also made the bike unstable at speed. Back to the Kawasaki screen again,
Is the Givi screen for sale ?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
70 mpg !!! wow i thought i was doing well with 57 on mine...
I was crawling along in top gear on a warm day. I have noticed that mpg improves when it warms up.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
7,700 miles up and counting now.

Tyres are starting to square, but still lots of tread still left (T30s), just done 'my' first oil and filter change, the shop did the first ever at 600 miles. Oil filter is more than hand tight (the manual mentions that hand tight is not good enough) when refitting. My filter pliers were no match for getting it off. Luckily the canister socket I had for my Africa Twins and Varadero fitted exactly and I got it off with that. Then I used it to nip it a little past hand tight.

Got some 33 litre Givi Trekker panniers to go with the top box a month or so ago. They make the bike quite wide when fitted, but seem pretty solid. I like the fact you can have them just top opening when used as a pannier, or fully opening for packing, use as a top box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mmmmm i had a white one for 24000 miles i got rid the build quality was rubbish rust on all tank welds frame paint very thin rusty subframe welds and front end was awful handling was not confidence inspiring at all too much power without mass to make it stable two up these are not gonna last like a Honda bike
i went back to a varadero much better bike

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Would you go back to an Africa twin if the @ had 7000 mile on it?
7,700 miles up and counting now.

Tyres are starting to square, but still lots of tread still left (T30s), just done 'my' first oil and filter change, the shop did the first ever at 600 miles. Oil filter is more than hand tight (the manual mentions that hand tight is not good enough) when refitting. My filter pliers were no match for getting it off. Luckily the canister socket I had for my Africa Twins and Varadero fitted exactly and I got it off with that. Then I used it to nip it a little past hand tight.

Got some 33 litre Givi Trekker panniers to go with the top box a month or so ago. They make the bike quite wide when fitted, but seem pretty solid. I like the fact you can have them just top opening when used as a pannier, or fully opening for packing, use as a top box.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'd definitely have an Africa Twin again if it wasn't silly money. I've still got my last one, even if it's not on the road I couldn't part with it. The Varadero was never as good as the AT, just quicker on the motorway.

Reactions: een705

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Went past the 10,000 mile mark a few days ago. Rear tyre now very square, I am even thinking of replacing it despite the tread still being legal.

Front tyre is new, but only because I got a front puncture with the tyre deflating whilst I was passing a few cars at about 80 on the M11. I could sense something was up, felt like a gust of wind was blowing me from the side, I pulled on to the hard sholder expecting to see the rear tyre flat, shocked to see the front flat. Used my new puncture repair kit and was back on the road in about 10 minutes, including reading the smallest instructions in the world. Replaced the tyre rather than get a permanent repair.

Done one oil and filter change and adjusted the weedy looking chain once since new.

I estimate I have saved about £200 in fuel since February compared to my Varadero.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It's been so long since I rode an AT I am not sure. The only thing I can say for certain is I'm getting the same mpg as my previous AT despite travelling every where more quickly.

Reactions: een705

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
12,500 miles up, put a new rear tyre on it today. Decide to go for a Bridgestone T30 again as it has impressed me and lasted a lot longer than I was expecting.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Reactions: Sohoeasy

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
looks great carrying the full load :cool: the dry bag and tank bag are nice bits of kit I wouldn't have any use for a dry bag myself and I have a brand new lidl tank bag still in its wrapper for years in the attic I bought it back when they were only 15 euros I since seen them for way more . I got years out of the first one I had used it as top box tidy for a finish until the zip gave up these days I use a sports bag with the side pockets it's much handier to organise all my bits and bobs and fills out the base of the box more fitting more in it . I am only asking about the dry bag for other peoples benefit be nice to know what it is and where to get one ? although its in the back of my mind that I would like to take off for a bit of a tour for 2 or 3 days in the summer . so maybe I need one after all :thumbright:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I take it you wouldn't go back to an old Africa twin?
I've still got my last Africa Twin in the garage, 100,000 miles and not run since 2010ish, knackered generator. Last AT I actually rode was Whealie's, through the slow race.

The bag was a Givi 80 litre soft bag, had it a few years, I put my tent/sleeping bag in it and then fill up the gaps with stuff I forgot to pack initially.

18,000 miles on the Versys now.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hasn't this bike aged well a Yamaha tracer looks crap beside it and an Africa twin 1000 just don't look as nice to me I like this style of bike the varadero 1000 too and the Suzuki vstrom 1000 .

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
37,000 miles up now. Just put a new chain and sprockets on it and had the shims checked (10 needed doing out of 16), plugs and air filter changed. I am changing the oil and filter every 8,000 miles.Uses no oil between changes, tyres are currently (nearly worn out) Avon Storm 2s which have lasted an incredible 13,000 miles and are square but legal. Getting an average of 53mpg at mostly illegal speeds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
41 - 60 of 81 Posts