Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Not far off 58,000 miles now.Just put a new chain and sprockets on today, the old DID x-ring from Wemoto managed 29k. Also fitted a new rear tyre, the horrible T30 I took off (it was an emergency purchase after getting a puncture) lasted 13k but was bloody horrible compared to the Avon Storm 2s I have been using and which I replaced it with. The front is squared but it appears Avon no longer make the original Storm 2 so it's replacement tyre is expected through the post soon.I have booked it in for its 2nd shim check in January.I now have 6 points on my licence for speeding though after managing to stay point clear since 1985!

·
Registered
188 Posts
58.000 miles brilliant! keep clocking the miles yen powell watch the points!! Is the bike still performing as new --- use any oil etc.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
58.000 miles brilliant! keep clocking the miles yen powell watch the points!! Is the bike still performing as new --- use any oil etc.
Doesn't use any oil at all between 8,000 mile change intervals. It's supposed to be 7k, but I stick with the same as I did on my AT, easier to remember.

Reactions: alias and T ALPER

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
good to hear its doing the business and your still happy with it I was talking to a bloke a few months ago he was on a vstrom 1000 2007 and be we in agreement that the new shape versy 1000 in black is the pick of the latest adventure bikes its still got that twin headlight fareing that we like but a 4 cylinder engine that most important its still well out of my reach so the order of bike for me in second place a crosstourer then for a bit less money a abs fi 6 speed varadero . a pity about the points thanks for sharing that I had kinda forgotten about speed vans . I only ever got 2 points in a rat trap in 2005 . they only came in hear in Ireland a few years ago it used to only be a 80 pound fine there was no cameras them times . I needed my money for drink and drugs so I used to keep going :happy6:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Twin headlights but thanks to EU regs only the right hand one comes on and that one is not able to be turned off. The high beam on the left hand side seems to have no affect on forward vision when switched on so I don't even bother with it on unlit roads. The fog lights seem to give the best illumination, best extra I bought.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Gone past 66,000 miles now, still doesn't use any oil between 8k oil changes.Fuel consumption is currently at the 54mpg mark, but it always gets better in warm weather.I am hoping to get to the 100k mark on the odometer and then I have a hankering for a 1200 Super Tenere.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Not a new Africa Twin? Maybe it's the shaft drive that's appealing on the S10?
New AT doesn't really do anything for me. 'Non German' shaft drive does appeal, the whole point is for it is to be long lived and low maintenance, not to last as long as a couple of chains then go bang. Not found any reports of that on the Yamaha yet (will keep looking), plenty on GS forums though.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Good to see you still racking the miles up Yen. No mention of you loving the bike as I recall you have in the past, is the honeymoon period now over?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Only just seen the post above, don't know how I missed that??.

Not so much over the honeymoon period as I just fancy a change and because of the mileage I do, I wanted to get away from a chain drive. I'm up to 99,000 miles now, it has broken down once in all that time and even then I still got home on it. A wire to the starter motor had rubbed through on a sharp edge under the bodywork, so I had ignition lights but no starter motor when it was time to head home from work. Managed to bump start it on the car park ramp, rode home and let the local bike shop look for the wiring fault.

I have gone over the 100k mark on 2 Africa Twins, but this is my first bike with a digital milometer and no tenths of a mile, so it will just happen, no count down to watch as I ride. It is also the first bike to have an extra digit, so no going back to zero this time.

Still not using oil and just fitted my third chain and sprockets (plus the original it came with, which makes it the fourth really). Waiting on a house sale and then it's XTZ1200 time for me. As usual, when I can afford a new bike, which is a rarity, the manufacturer pulls out all the stops and only has rubbish paint schemes on offer! It's a right pigs ear on the current models. I'm slightly colour blind and even I think they're horrible.

Reactions: een705

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ignore this, just a test to see if pictures I have loaded on another forum's gallery can be seen here by people not logged on to that forum. Actually don't ignore it, if someone could tell me if they can see it that would be tip top!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes I can see it
Thank you. My photobucket account is unusable due to the owner's greed so I thought I would try one of my other forum's gallery as a test for a future sale item, couldn't find a gallery on here. Thank you again.

Yen

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well this story is nearly over. I went and put a deposit down on a Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere today, possibly one of the last few new ones in stock now they don't make them any more..

My Versys is currently showing 103,000 miles on the clock, lock down and a lot of working from home since April has severely cut down on my usual mileage, although I'll probably be going to Devon on it next week depending on when the new bike is ready to collect.

The bloke from the dealers came out and had a quick look at my Kawasaki so he could give me a trade in value. He took the reg and mileage gave it a quick once over and rang me later on with a guide price which was over three times what I thought he would offer. I told him I have a crack in the fairing from a suicidal pigeon flying into it at 90mph which I plastic welded on the inside myself which he never noticed so I expect the original price will drop a bit. I'll have to put the original Kawasaki mirrors back on, I'm using my old AT ones which give a better view behind me.

I think the Versys has been the most reliable bike I've owned so far, even better than my Africa Twins which took some beating. It has failed to start on the button once, but still got me home after a push start down a slope. A broken wire to the starter motor was responsible. Pity they don't do them with shaft drive. I have just put my 4th chain on the bike, that includes the one it came with from new, so it actually did the first 96,000 miles on about £300 worth of chain and sprockets and a few quids' worth of car engine oil that I lubed it with when ever it looked like it was a bit dry. I will mention that to any BMW owners who have had their shaft drives rebuilt in the first few years of ownership under warranty. It's still on the original rear wheel bearings, brake discs, clutch cable, fuel pump, regulator, battery and rear shock.

On the down side it has had lots of new fork seals and one set of fork bushes and so is probably the bike with the freshest fork oil I have ever owned! It has the originale bulbs in the indicators, but alas, the front dipped beam headlight has been changed about 8 times by now. Luckily it can be changed without removing anything if you're prepared to duck under the fairing in a Quasimodo type stance.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Collected today. Need to make up one of those 1950s 'Running in Please Pass' cardboard signs.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I do like the Yam xt1200 just felt right when I sat on one at a show...looking forward to your future posts on it, I have now ended up with a f800gs

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I've done about 200 miles now. I feel I am sitting too far forward on the seat and need to be further back on the wider part for comfort. I suspect bar risers that move the bars back a little way may do that. I had the same on the Versys, starting to suspect my arms are shorter than other peoples!

Saw my old Versys at my mates tonight, it is super shiny clean now.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts