Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few of you were crash-test dummies for my early phone app. I have made a lot of modifications and I think it is well worth having a go using it now.

There were some gremlins with the download speed of the Android version (sorry to Ian Porter, who suffered the most) but I think that has now been resolved. There is also still room to include more - so let me know what else you'd like to see included.

What it does at present: When you fill up with petrol the-Zebra will convert your litres and total spending to miles per gallon (MPG). It shows what you got out of that last tankful and your overall average.

You can set a reminder for either your bike service as a whole, or a separate reminder for oil, spark plugs, air filter and other individual service items. You can also set reminders to check your tyres. You can set reminders by date or by mileage. You can record your spending by individual item or overall service too.

You can use the app to store information about your bike’s insurer and broker and, if you want, keep your policy number handy in case you ever need to exchange insurance details with a “sorry mate I didn’t see you” case driver.

Within the app you can compare your own bikes, but soon you will be able to log on to my website and compare your bike with other riders with the same bike.

The current list of items you can monitor includes:
Insurance
MOT
Tax
Service
Oil change
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Chain
Brakes
Clutch
Electrics
Tyres
Accessories
Other

What else would you want to see included?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
After a few of you were crash-test dummies for my early phone app. I have made a lot of modifications and I think it is well worth having a go using it now...............

................What else would you want to see included?
How long to go before you can justify a new bike to the "other half"? :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish. She's more worried about when we're going to have to extend our mortgage to pay for all this madness.:rolleyes: Have cut the kids' pocket money, not had a holiday and one of the my bikes may have to go soon. I've tried prostituting myself but had no takers:D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I also had trouble downloading the android version , if you say it's better now I'll give it another go :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also had trouble downloading the android version , if you say it's better now I'll give it another go :thumbup:
Do let me know. Also, if it causes any problem and you can complete the notification online to say what the problem was, that helps too.

The trouble with Android is that you have to build an app that will work on umpteen different versions of Android and on hundreds of different phones with different shaped and sized screens etc.

For example, currently 54.58% of installs are on Android 4.1 but the next biggest group - 17.13% - are on the much older versions 2.3.3 - 2.3.7. Samsung Galaxy is the most popular device but the S111 is tops, and the S11 just overtook the S4.

I've been getting my parents to test it on some cheap Chinese Android phones (cos I am a cheapskate like that:D).

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having seen the pictures of your er swabs, I'm not surprised :eek: :D
Pardon? Actually I do, finally, think my ears may be getting better.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How long to go before you can justify a new bike to the "other half"? :thumbup:
I think Steve is asking for a facility in the app to assist in his negotiations with his other half. Ie at the appropriate (user configurable) time a pop up"next service due, estimate £6,274.72, recomendation = consider new bike.

Reactions: Whealie

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I think Steve is asking for a facility in the app to assist in his negotiations with his other half. Ie at the appropriate (user configurable) time a pop up"next service due, estimate £6,274.72, recomendation = consider new bike.
Indeed I am, or as we were discussing in another place earlier in the week, justifying a new piece of farm kit to "Her Indoors" on the following basis... :D

This approach has always worked for me.... with several caveats.

1. It is often necessary to reduce the purchase price of the toy....
essential machinery when Superior Beings are in earshot. I have found £50
to be a useful cut-off point, although you might have difficulty with regard to a
Manitou* or similar toy .

2. Similarly, the upper level of the daily rental fee of said essential
machinery MUST be maximised; £150 per day is a good starting point, but
add on the delivery, insurance, VAT, and other plausible-sounding 'extras'
and you soon have a grand, just for 4 days hire...

3. The job envisaged must be at least three weeks long, and require the
machine to be instantly available. Your friends will ask why the loader
has been fully extended and attached with a slack chain to a
fully-installed roof-beam for the last month, but Superior Beings will
assume it's meant to be that way....

**** (also Marriage Counselling, closed Thursdays.)

* A telescopic farm loader, cost around £35-40K!

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I don't know if other bikes suffer from it but on the strom you need to clean out the section at the front cogs about every 10,000 miles. The crap from the chain builds up in there then erodes the rubber seal in the clutch slave cylinder, resulting in a loss of fluid. A reminder would be nice because I've currently no idea when I did it last, could have been 2000 miles or 8000 miles for all I know! I'm useless, I know.

Fancy hydrualic clutches for you :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I was going to try your app Chris, but can't find it on google play, am I doing something wrong or is it not showing up cos I'm in france or summat? If I open google play & search " The zebra" or "The Zebra.com" i get loads (300+) apps but can't find yours.:confused:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to try your app Chris, but can't find it on google play, am I doing something wrong or is it not showing up cos I'm in france or summat? If I open google play & search " The zebra" or "The Zebra.com" i get loads (300+) apps but can't find yours.:confused:
Because it works in £s and miles I have not made not available In France but I have has requests from Europe, the US and Canada. Making it multinational is tricky but I am looking into it.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Enjoyed the chat with you at Brackley yesterday Whealie, I'll have a go with the App when i can find five minutes.
Good luck with it. Designed by a biker for bikers, has to be good.

Don't forget to put that ABR sicker on the Zebra.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Enjoyed the chat with you at Brackley yesterday Whealie, I'll have a go with the App when i can find five minutes.
Good luck with it. Designed by a biker for bikers, has to be good.

Don't forget to put that ABR sicker on the Zebra.
Good to see you. Saw quite a few XRVers as it happens. Must pop over to ABR to mention the app there too.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts