Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Frad 
#1 · (Edited)
Sunday 20th left home for Portsmouth late ferry to Caen meet my mates who were going all the way to Marbella my plan was to go to the Spainish border and then head home on me tod :thumbright:

On the way down stopped at Birdlip hill for an ice cream but sadly no van :rolleyes:

On to my mates house and pick up the rest of the gang

All Adventure bikes, my TA a 800 GS a 1200 GS and a HARLEY V ROD :D

arrived Caen and along the coast to Arromanches but not much open at 7am

So we made it to Le Mont St Michel for brunch

From there we hacked it down to La Rochelle on Motorways and fast A roads

There was a music festival on so a few beers and some good music was enjoyed :D

Great roads to Bordeaux the D137 after luch at friends in the Gironde we carried on to Hondarribia just over the border.

From here we split up and they carried on South and I turned East to the Atlanique Pyrenees this is where it got good :D

I made my way to Oleron-Ste-Marie where the snow capped peaks could be seen, Then to the Col d'Aubisque................

They ride Pedal bikes up here ......................... nutters :D

Unfortunatly they were resurfacing the rest of the road for the Tour de France and they had closed the road so back the way I came to get to the Col du Tormalet

Guess what ??????????????

More resurfacing so had to go back again :(

from here i was now running late and got on my way to Phil In France, had to stop en route and camp for the night, got to Phils for 10 to be met with a brew and bacon sarnie :thumbright: top bloke Phil cheers :thumbleft:

We rode together up to Oradour-s-Glane site of a masacre during the war Google it

Phil turned South for home and I carried on North and camped near St Nazaire, up the next day to wards Roscoff for a Saturday morning ferry, on the way stopped at a lake for lunch

Found the D769 just outside of Roscoff incredible road

Camped at St Pol de Leon ready for the ferry in the morning

bon nuit France :thumbleft:

got to Plymouth and went to Fowey to camp with my daughter and her boyfriend who are at Plymouth uni, Sunday set off for home via the Atlantic Highway around the top and joined the M5 for the boring run home, only saving grace the roads were ok coz everyone must have been watching a bunch of overpaid pre-madonnas on TV :D:D:D

All said Ive had a great time and loved every single one of the 2,300 miles I did.

Best roads D769 near Roscoff, D137 south of La Rochelle, D637 near Cahors to Phil in France and every one of the others, God is a French road builder :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Fab report, Frad, and good to see you getting out there and enjoying the great French countryside. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#6 ·
Nice one Rob.

Good to see your out and about - and taking it easy. :rolleyes: :D

Brilliant photos too. :thumbright:

Aaah ..... those French roads!

#8 ·
Great to see you again Frad and next time stay over and we,ll do few more miles in my play ground :thumbleft: realy enjoyed the 400km bimble upto Oradour, take care mate and don,t forget the doors always OPEN:thumbright:
Phil

#13 ·
Nice one Frad :happy6:

#15 ·
Lovely ride report, and I'm very envious as I'm a bit grounded at the moment for various reasons.

Glad you had a great time, there's definitely something special about riding alone, especially when you find some special roads or sights.

Nice one, glad you had a great time

:thumbup:

#18 · (Edited)
Ace trip report Frad,

Makes me sooo want to get out there and take a ride.

The photos of the snow capped peaks are amazing.

Even reminded me that I went to Mont Saint Michel as a kid and had completely forgotten (It was over 25 years ago) must travel more now that I've got a camera.....

Axe. (& Mrs Axe)

#22 ·
Thanks for all the great comments Guys :thumbup: I had a brill time and very pleased to report no pain at all :thumbright: everything has gone realy well, all I have to put up with is still a bit of pain when sleeping (especially on camping mats) :D but hay small price to pay and the red wine helped on that front.

The Pyrenees are smething special and the roads were empty :blob: I can deffo see a trip via the Santander ferry and straight into them coming on as I only had 1 day there as tooooo many miles to do :D:D:D

Mind got to take Catherine to the Alps in August :rolleyes::D ............. on the bike of course :D:D:D so Pyrenees next year me thinks :cheers::cheers::cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.