Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I went out exploring, as usual I was out for much longer and went much further than originally planned... Furthest point probably being Sudbury area - covered 160kms in total.

Unsurprisingly though 99% of that was surfaced road, being suffolk and all. I came accross 5 or 6 restricted byways and a stupid amount of footpaths and bridleways. I was thinking to myself if walking and horse riding was as fun as riding a bike, this world would for sure be a better place!

I was however pleasanlty surprised at a lot of the roads which could be quite fun where covered with mud and vegetation. A lot were the 'unsuitable for heavy vehicles' and 'By-road' type, with some nice hills and views also.

So anyway, here are the pics.

This is what I missed out on...

because of this :(

and this is the strange derelict building (waterworks or something I think) at the end of the UCR:

I bet someone is very proud of this sign:

(and the RB itself)

a small ford at polstead (which according a note on Trailwise could be very deep, but wasn't)

and the 'no through road' UCR looking the other way...probably the most fun I had all day!

a broken byway sign at leavenheath, methinks someone doth protest!...

evidently is the council PRoW dept! (this sign is about 100 yards after the byway post). Although I think this may be a seasonal TRO only, I found what I think may be the other end (pics further down)

s durprise water crossing :)

some nature reserve or something?

(think this is the other end of the above byway, i'll be back on 1st May to investigate lol ;))

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
What I find so bloody amazing is the pre-nerc when restricted-byways were Rupps and had vehicular rights there were no signs on any of the lanes telling you that you COULD ride them, so where has the funding come from to put all these new signs up now that you CAN'T.

It makes my blood boil :angry4: but I no what I'd do if I was there and there was no one around :booty:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, and I wish I was a bit older so I could have experienced what it was like pre - restriced byways and downgrades (since i'm only 17 now).

Even in my village there's tonnes of old routes / tracks i've found that have just extinguished themselves over the years or become part of a farmers field, bridleway, or just completely disregarded and made footpaths.

I think the trouble is bikers are considered destructive, and local resdidents and councils prioritise horse riders and walkers, to leave anyone else to go off and enjoy riding along an A Road. After all, PRoWs are convserved as ancient routes for people to use so let's blody well let alll users appreciate them!

And your last comment well... believe me, i've been tempted, but my conscience get's the better of me and there's often a nosy neighbour keeping an eye out when they hear a bike :rolleyes:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
James,

you need to get yourself up to Thetford forest - bit of a trek from where you are, but if you make a day of it, you will find plenty of good trails to ride.

Get yourself an os map of the area or one of the online maps that you can zoom in on - you will see all the byways marked as red+++++

Just double check at the entry to them that they are open - think most still are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This was more of a curiousity/exploration bimble to be honest - there's a gang of us that meet in Chelmsford and do all the lanes around Chelmsford / Braintree for the serious stuff.

I dare say we will be heading up Thetford way at some point in the future though once we get bored of chelmsford lanes (if that's even possible?!). It would be a bit far on my 250 though so it would have to be a van-jobby.

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
James,

you need to get yourself up to Thetford forest - bit of a trek from where you are, but if you make a day of it, you will find plenty of good trails to ride.

Get yourself an os map of the area or one of the online maps that you can zoom in on - you will see all the byways marked as red+++++

Just double check at the entry to them that they are open - think most still are.
Hi Anton, we went up to Thetford from Suffolk a couple of months back and camped at East Harling (nice place) though we were pretty dissapointed to find most of the byways have been restricted. I think France maybe a better option though my recent experience of trying to ride on the beach there last week would suggest otherwise. At the end of every beach bound lane I explored, I encountered a no Car, Motorbike or Moped sign :( I did find a few lanes in France last year away from the beach that are fantastic so hoping to head over there again soon and find more.

Regards,

Nick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts