Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a long time ago and after a couple of years on a Vespa I bought myself this for 125.000 old italian lire....(about 45 GBP today)
it was like living a dream....:rolleyes:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Ah memories !!

around the same vintage as my first bike ............

HONDA 250G5 - 1974 model ...... and the life long love affair with bikes began as I wobbled out into the traffic on 6th October 1975. Happy days.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Royal Enfield Continental 250cc, 30th Nov 1970, 16th Birthday. Taxed, tested and insured ready for the day. Bought for £55 with paper round money and petrol station attendant work at weekends.

Rode it to school without a crash helmet and got banned from parking it in the school grounds.

Rode home from school that afternoon and on into the peak district. I have never been colder in my life either before or since that day.

Fantastic time, by the spring other lads at school were geting bikes.

I moved on the a Honda CB72 in the summer, put on some clipons that I made in the metalwork class at school. A totally different bike to the Enfield, electric start, oil on the inside instead of outside etc.

Still like Hondas best now :D.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Royal Enfield Continental 250cc, 30th Nov 1970, 16th Birthday. Taxed, tested and insured ready for the day. Bought for £55 with paper round money and petrol station attendant work at weekends.
I had a few of them. five speed box with seven neutrals :confused:

I used to spend saturday afternoons stripping the box and repairing enough to last the week.

Passed me test in 1968 on a crusader, four speed, more reliable.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I had a few of them. five speed box with seven neutrals :confused:

I used to spend saturday afternoons stripping the box and repairing enough to last the week.

Passed me test in 1968 on a crusader, four speed, more reliable.:thumbup:
I failed my test on that one, five speed. Poor use of gears!!!!! To make matters worse the clutch would drag when it got hot. I had fitted new cork inserts cut with a stanley knife from cork floor tiles. When they swelled up it was pot luck if you got any gear. The Honda gearbox was a Dream after the Enfields.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
First bike, not mine but me dads, would be this one:

He still has it, hasn't been out in a few years though, should be interesting, riding the couple hundred meters to the petrol station to do up the tyres from 10 psi or so :shock:

Good from far but faaarrr from good aka quite shagged, it wasn't fast, it wasn't powerful, but it did have a good howl in that pipe. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My very first bike was the Kawasaki 250 Triple S1.
It did not need a chain oiler and the rear wheel was always covered in oil.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First bike, not mine but me dads, would be this one:

oh what a beauty!
and to continue my trip down memory lane this was my second bike.....only bike I ever made a profit on...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ah the memories!

Well, after a few offroad bikes including a BSA Bantam my brother bought me when I was 8, here's what I remember! Nov 1979 I hit the road at 16!

Honda C50
Malaguti trials 50
Fantic Gran Tourismo 50
Suzuki GT 250
Honda CJ 250T
Suzuki GT 185
Honda CD 175
Yamaha RD 250E

Spate of offroad bikes as kids were growing up,

Honda CR 250
Suzuki RM 250
Yamaha DT 250
Honda XL 250
Bultaco Sherpa
Ossa 250
Yamaha TY 175
Yamaha DT 175
Yamaha DT 125LC
Royal Enfield 500T

Back on the road, kids grown up!

Honda CB900
Honda CB400 Superdream
Suzuki GSX 550
Kawasaki KLR 650 Tengai
Kawasaki KLR 650
Africa Twins,, 5 of them
Honda Dominator
Varaderos, 2 of them,
Triumph 955i Tiger
Honda CB 750KZ
Honda CBR 900RRR

Current rides;
Honda XL1000V Varadero VA9
Kawasaki KLE 500.

Many many more I can't remember! I've loved bikes all my life and spent many years messing about with them. I've no plans to give them up either! Favourites? Well, got to be the Africa Twins, brilliant bikes. :thumbup:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
My first, many many moons ago, CZ 175:-

:thumbup::D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts