Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98% of it is, just got a 23" wheel and found a tyre, need the bat cover and a couple of other bits. All in all for a field bike they dont come much better than this:thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good looking bike you've got there, not unlike mine, except mine's red and black. :p

Where did you get the 23inch tyre as I can't find one anywhere? :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for that Brian, I've had no luck finding a supplier in the UK. :(

I've emailed both companies for delivery prices, see what they come back with. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This looks pretty much like my XR (or is it an XL) 250,I have just looked on ebay usa and there is a 1979 XL 250 that looks like my XR , What year is yours and does the frame number start with an XR prefix. Regards Tony

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This looks pretty much like my XR (or is it an XL) 250,I have just looked on ebay usa and there is a 1979 XL 250 that looks like my XR , What year is yours and does the frame number start with an XR prefix. Regards Tony
No mate its an xl, they have a differant front end and loom. The xr in 78 was an of road bike adapted for the road (hence the basic wiring loom), think the height is a bit diferant as well.
Just checked and it starts with L250, may be yours is an xl, or some time in its past some one changed a few bits??

Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice, my bike looks almost identical to the one on ebay but as you say, now I look more closly that one has a full frame while my on my one the fromt down tube ends at its attachment to the engine.My frame number is XR 250 H00 8948, nobody seems to have heard of an XR or XL with this prefix.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, my bike looks almost identical to the one on ebay but as you say, now I look more closly that one has a full frame while my on my one the fromt down tube ends at its attachment to the engine.My frame number is XR 250 H00 8948, nobody seems to have heard of an XR or XL with this prefix.
The cut down tube you talk about, i asume its the front down tube??
Most of the honda's are like that after a certian year, mine is, it was made like that as a way of saving weight, the engine in turn becomes part of the frame. Earlier models of both the xl and xr had full frames. Have you got any pick of yours???

Brian

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
98% of it is, just got a 23" wheel and found a tyre, need the bat cover and a couple of other bits. All in all for a field bike they dont come much better than this:thumbup:
not bad at all. looks to be more there than the one i have. must get back out in the shed now its getting a little warmer.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts

Couple of observations on your bike...the manual decompressor cable is missing (I might have one), the throttle should have a push/pull twin cable setup & the shocks are wrong. The standard shocks have far more travel with springs that are almost the length of the damper body.

Otherwise it looks like a nice project bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Couple of observations on your bike...the manual decompressor cable is missing (I might have one), the throttle should have a push/pull twin cable setup & the shocks are wrong. The standard shocks have far more travel with springs that are almost the length of the damper body.

Otherwise it looks like a nice project bike.
Cheers for the info, interested in the decompressor cable, dont supose you have a a pic and or size of the orignal shocks??

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
From this very forum...
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/xl/43961-show-us-your-xl-honda.html

I may well have a few other bits & pieces available as well. Give me an email on [email protected] & i'll have a look for that cable.

I bought new dampers from Dave Silvers...I think that they are the same as the ones on the XL185 as they were the same length as the ones on my one...but overdamped & oversprung on the smaller bike, even on the softest preload.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well just started the rebuild. Wheel rims are done and just wating to be respoked, then she will be able to stand up for her self.
Going very slow at the moment, but i do have three jobs, college course, mrs, kids, grand child, dog and training for a sponsered bike ride.
just doing the fork legs
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/brian_lagerlout/bike pics/isaac007.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/brian_lagerlout/bike pics/xlrebuildpics022.jpg

Want to rebuild the forks tomorrow night and fit them, ready for the wheel.

I found the best way to restore the plastic, t-cut and then back to black.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My latest pics, thanks to stubbo and 416cc for advice, no doubt i will need more advice. Just got some orignal shocks, (not on the picks yet)
engine (apart from the bolt that snaped) is great condition. engine is going to be bead blasted.
jocamera142.jpg picture by brian_lagerlout - Photobucket
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/brian_lagerlout/jocamera141.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/brian_lagerlout/jocamera140.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/brian_lagerlout/isaac007.jpg

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Looking very nice. :thumbleft:

Could be like my 600lm which keeps pulling threads out of the barrel. Had about 5 attempts to get the bloody head on so far.:mad:

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I still have not worked out if my bike is an XR or XL yet it has an XR back light but a XL front one , I have just got a 23" front tyre and an 18" back and this has given me the incentive to do it up.
When I start the bike up the back light comes on but no other lights work, there is a dip switch on the right handle bar but no light switch , the key only appears to have an ON/OFF position and has four wires going to it. Upon taking the front light out there are loads of cables attached to indicator bulbs head light and side light , these correspont to a wiring diagram I have .
Can any one help me with question of how the lights are turned on and off?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I still have not worked out if my bike is an XR or XL yet it has an XR back light but a XL front one , I have just got a 23" front tyre and an 18" back and this has given me the incentive to do it up.
When I start the bike up the back light comes on but no other lights work, there is a dip switch on the right handle bar but no light switch , the key only appears to have an ON/OFF position and has four wires going to it. Upon taking the front light out there are loads of cables attached to indicator bulbs head light and side light , these correspont to a wiring diagram I have .
Can any one help me with question of how the lights are turned on and off?
Is this a twin or mono shock bike? Could well be the same as the xl250s but called xr in a different country.
My old "s" model had a light switch on the right side handlebar, again yours may have no light switch (on all the time) because of the countries rules etc.
Be nice to see some pics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts