Honda XRV Forum banner

mystery burning niff !!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  StumpyFingers 
#1 ·
hello all.......stiffened up preload a few turns last night ....also checked condition of front sprocket as will be renewing full set imminently ( looked in reasonable condition.... didnt remove it though. ) cleaned out gunk ........including embedded gravel :mad: from inside cover and replaced. anyway, set off this morn to try out rear shock set up ( a lot better:thumbright: ) few miles up the road eventually stopped at traffic lights. very strong waft of " burning rubber" came up through fairing (?). definitely not electrical scorch whiff........unmistakable tyre on bonfire smell. checked obvious rubber bits ( tyres etc ) all ok. its not the warm rubber / coolant niff either.:confused: any ideas greatfully received. been thinking about rubber cushioning on sprocket possibly rubbing........clutching at straws now:( thanks again ade . oh meant to say, got back home and let bike run a while ..... no niff......obviously points to something rotating.

#2 ·
Has the road surface been done with that grip surface looks a bit like sand cos that smells bit like burning brakes /rubber on hottish days,and it does this for a good while after it is layed
Merv

#4 ·
me again........the plot thickens:rolleyes: forgot to mention roads were wet this morning.........first time bike has been out in wet since i got it:(. not raining but lots of spray from other traffic.

spent an hour or so this afternoon checking things over. checked chain / sprocket etc. all looks ok. had bike running up to fan cutting in.......nothing except hot coolant whiff. decided to road test it. dry road and no rain........nothing !! out for a while and alls fine.......homeward bound and rain starts. lots of spray and guess what....whiffy is back !! been thinking, could this be front brake related ? only asking that as previously mentioned, smell comes up through fairing..dont think they are seized etc as engine temp stays cool and i can wheel bike around easily without any squealy sounds etc. any thoughts o brainy chums? getting well p*ssed off with it now !! cheers ade:thumbup:

#7 ·
remove it though. ) cleaned out gunk ........including embedded gravel :mad: from inside cover and replaced.

Hi Ade, slightly curious as to why you removed the gravel and then replaced it with more:rolleyes:

Anyway back to the question, my mate adjusted the pre load on his FTM and for some reason the chain started to rub on the outside edge of his rear tyre which produced a rubber burning smell, thats how he noticed it was rubbing. don't know if this helps any

#11 ·
Re: Mystery burnt rubber whiff ?

Spray from passage over wet West Cork roads always used to cause a decidedly rural odour from hot engine parts ... maybe you have encountered the South Welsh equivalent?

Or it could just be diet.

Risca, er, where's that at? I tore out the pages of the map book once I'd left Ireland and passed south eastwards through 'em.

#14 ·
I have spent years finding problem smells only to find something simple causing them,
Smell of clutch / Brakes burning, Boy racer past through a short time before and the smell lingers.
Burning rubber, something dropped and stuck on exhaust, when engine warms up it begins to melt more giving the obnoxious smell.
Smell of water leak, overfilled cooling system, causing over pressure and release valve opening to relieve the pressure.
All are potentially worrying problems all nothing more extreme than a simple fix.

How ever sometimes it can be serious but often it is not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.