Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

It's been a while... life and the bike are now both back on track following some major changes in the last 12 months, including a move to Dartmoor...

Bike is ready for an MOT save for one very strange niggle...

Engine off. Headlights OFF. Indicators work perfectly...
Engine off. Headlights On. Indicators work perfectly...
Engine running. Headlights OFF. Indicators work perfectly...
Engine running. Headlights ON. Indicators fail to work...

For the rally build I fitted new Koso clocks and rewired everything carefully, following the wiring diagrams. Everything works as it should aside from the indicator issue and the tacho needle which is pretty jumpy.

Thoughts, opinons, tests, solutions.... all welcome.

Thanks all :thumbup:

Slidey

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had something a little similar...

in my case it was a bad shared earth between two components.... when I traced it back.. they were both using, I had some rust on on the tip of a connector that was fecking things up.
and was very similar action.. one would work.. when the other wasnt..

my guess, and it is a guess was that the earth for one, would travel down the alternate wire and knock out the circuit when both were on.. but didnt have that effect when either were used separately.

dunno if that helps.. but it fixed mine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What puzzles me is that with the headlamps on and the motor running, flashers won't work, while they do work when engine is off. I would have initially thought of a voltage drop, but not this time.

Could it be that your flasher relay requires a filament style bulb in your electronic display but has to work with a led-type bulb?

What if you changed the flasher relay with a different type compatible with led bulbs?

As for the jumpy tacho needle, maybe check grounds.

Also, I think your KOSO allows different configurations of what those bulbs can do. perhaps change configuration.

On another topic. On your KOSO can you configure the engine temp to be a bar display instead of digits?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's some part of the circuit that is powered up when the engine is running, so that would be the charging circuit. With no volts on that circuit the indicators can earth through the charging circuit. Once the circuit is powered up the voltage difference is no longer there.
Provide another earth for the indicator an that should sort it.
As per Iainb s post.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As ever, you guys are awesome - thanks, I'll try the earth fix and see if that gets it.

Thanks all :thumbup:

Slidey

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What puzzles me is that with the headlamps on and the motor running, flashers won't work, while they do work when engine is off. I would have initially thought of a voltage drop, but not this time.

Could it be that your flasher relay requires a filament style bulb in your electronic display but has to work with a led-type bulb?

What if you changed the flasher relay with a different type compatible with led bulbs?

As for the jumpy tacho needle, maybe check grounds.

Also, I think your KOSO allows different configurations of what those bulbs can do. perhaps change configuration.

On another topic. On your KOSO can you configure the engine temp to be a bar display instead of digits?

Thanks Lee - some interesting points.

The idiot lamps being LED was lurking in the back of my mind so if the earth doesn't fix it, Ill change the flasher relay.

I haven't spent much time tinkering with the Koso - I just set it up as per Rugged Roads instructions... might need to go back in and fettle once the MOT is done.

I thought that the bar temperature is for oil - taken off of the optional sump plug that they supply. I was going to fit it during a recent oil change but decided that I had better things to do!

Slidey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts