Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from cape town

Sorry it has been so long since i have written any thing but we have been very out of contact (playig wiht cheetahs and leopards --NO JOKE!!). Any way i have a mystery on my hands. I am burning oil at a alarming rate. (1300ml in 200k!!!!). I have ripped the engine out and the pistons and barrels are fine the oil rings are in spec, 1 of the 4 comression rings is out of spec. I am going to change them all anyway. I dont know about the valves yet (pulling them out as soon as i can make spring guide.).. there is no leaks from the engine or anywhere else that i can see. (pan is clean). Any hints or ideas... plus any one know how to get the engine in with out lossing a finger or two.. (it was a major pain to get out..).
cheers all Xander
pics soon i hope now that i am back in the 1st world.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Hello Xander.....trip's sounding good.

The only time I've ever had oil consumption like that was on a car...It was the valve guides letting oil through......a bit of smoke but not that noticable.

Sorry that's all I've got but hopefully someone will be along soon with some experience of the same fault on an @.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Choke stuck on? That would increase oil consumption.
I assume you have check coolant - no oil blowing into the water and then out through overflow pipe? That would be a blow out between oil way and water jacket.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Xander have you checked all the seals,output shaft seal etc if you are not leaking onto the sump guard and the exhaust is not like a fog machine and you can not see any leaks it may be running out the back seals.Also check inside the exhaust ports,if it was the exhaust valve guide/s it would get blown through the exhaust and not burnt. stand the end can up for a few hours and see what runs out. Other thing is to check the coolant to see if oil in that and oil to see if it has coolant etc just in case it's a head gasket.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys thanks for the speedy replies... the mystery continues.. I had already checked all the seals, there is no oil in the coolant (had to drop it all for the engine removal) there is and even tried the end can upsde down thingbut nothing. I am still waiting on the spring compressors to check the valve guides (so i will let you know). one question for BT what do you mean by the "may be running out the back seals"?

Thanks guys i will go scrotch my head a bit more.
cheers
Xander

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
if the output shaft seal has had it the oil could be leaking out and being flung on either the chain or the rear linkage,or possibly running off the rear mud shield and being blown away or onto the rear tyre. Any signs of any oil on the tyre? It has not been unheard of for the rocker box gaskets to fail and it follow the same path.
Alternatively if it is a valve guide seal it could just be burnt off slowly,depends on how fast you have been riding and the terrain I suppose.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As BT says it could be the driveshaft seal, if it is it could be hidden with the oil on the chain and front sprocket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hia, greetings also from Cape Town!

What's the mileage on your AT? Possibly worn valve shaft seals.

Also, oil quality makes a huge difference I guess, exspecially on mine.

"She" complains (uses suddenly much more oil) when "she" wants an oil change after 6000km. And "she" has 126000km now (overhauled rings only & valve shaft seals at 98000).

Hope this helps?

Chris

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Hi from cape town

I am burning oil at a alarming rate. (1300ml in 200k!!!!). I have ripped the engine out and the pistons and barrels are fine the oil rings are in spec,
Hi Xander, sorry to hear of your problems.

Most areas have been covered but could you clarify what is 200k, is that 200,000 miles, 200 kilometers or a typo that should read 20k (20,000miles).

One thing that springs to mind, have you had an oil change in a dodgy area - where you have either, knowlingly used substandard oil or where the oil may not be as stated on the container.

I assume you changed the oil & rechecked consumption before pulling the engine to bits?!?!

Good luck, Phil

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Xander, sorry to hear of your problems.

Most areas have been covered but could you clarify what is 200k, is that 200,000 miles, 200 kilometers or a typo that should read 20k (20,000miles).

One thing that springs to mind, have you had an oil change in a dodgy area - where you have either, knowlingly used substandard oil or where the oil may not be as stated on the container.

I assume you changed the oil & rechecked consumption before pulling the engine to bits?!?!

Good luck, Phil
Hi guys,
To answer PUSD first.
it was 200 kilometres,
i have knowingly changed oil in a dodgy area and then changed it again ... and yup it was actually better with the unknown stuff..
last time was gpx

I have checked the output spline and all the seals,, nothing..

i have decided just to go whole hog and do a valve re seating and everything else
cheers again

Xander

i usually run mineral diesel now it is synthetic..

·
Registered
361 Posts
My KTM 950 was doing the same thing I had the top end rebuilt and they could not find anything wrong, put it back in and it still burnt oil, I then balanced my carbs and that fixed the problem:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Hi guys,

it was 200 kilometres,

cheers again

Xander

i usually run mineral diesel now it is synthetic..
1300 cc in 200kms, whats that 120 miles ish, there would have been a smoke cloud following you if the oil was being burnt, but a leak that big would have almost left a trail down the road.

Hope that you find the problem & a cure soon.

Phil

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Just in case - did you check the oil when the engine was hot or cold both times - that is if you topped up when hot and the checked again when cold it would show lower oil because it would have expanded when hot and contracted when cold.

I am inclined to agree that much oil on 220k would be pushing out clouds - a fine spray leak being dried up by the heat is a possibility - does the bike smell or seem oily?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts