Im playing with my wiring on an 01 xr250r

From this wiring diagram;

I should have 5 wires coming from the stator, as follows;

red and black - to CDI

Pink
Blue - these two go to the AC reg for lights etc

Green
Blue and yellow - these two go to the CDI

Now, i have all of these wires, and one extra; a white and yellow one??
Anyone know what its for??

The only other wire coming from the stator according to the diagram, is this earth (circled in red)

But i assumed this would be an internal earth??

Any input appreciated

Tom

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The earth is the frame of the alternator and as you say it is internal. I'm not sure on the 250 but on the 400 you have an AC regulator and a regulator rectifier for dc the Ac regulator only has one wire going to it and the reg /rec has two
if you have six wires coming from your alternator your using the wrong wiring diagram
this might be the one you want not 100% though

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Elo chaps,

Im playing with my wiring on an 01 xr250r

From this wiring diagram;

I should have 5 wires coming from the stator, as follows;

red and black - to CDI

Pink
Blue - these two go to the AC reg for lights etc

Green
Blue and yellow - these two go to the CDI

Now, i have all of these wires, and one extra; a white and yellow one??
Anyone know what its for??

The only other wire coming from the stator according to the diagram, is this earth (circled in red)

But i assumed this would be an internal earth??

Any input appreciated

Tom
Check what wattage on your headlight bulb it has if it's more than 35w someone may have put a high capacity stator in it (200w) and one cable may not need to be used. Just a thought popular mod as xr lights are s**t

But onmy drawing w/y goes from alternator to ac regulator and lefthand switch gear all earths are GREEN. The manual i have is xr400ry genunie manual

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replies guys,

I think some tinkering has maybe gone on by a PO, and my next move should be to whip off the stator cover and see whats going on.

Cheers

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
The white/yellow wire from the voltage regulator is the regulated 12vac. On my XR400 there's no rectifier as everything works off the 12vac...this includes the head & tail light, but there's insufficient output from the standard alternator to power up anything more than these items. I had to fit an AC horn, a high & low beam headlight & a brake light for it's MoT when I first bought the bike. But if I had everything on & then pressed the horn then the lights dimmed significantly. So I bought an uprated alternator from Electrex UK who were up at one of the dirt bike shows a few years ago. The new one fitted straight in place utilising the existing windings for the ignition pickup, & I wired it so that I now have some 200watts of power for the lights & horn. They did say that I could use one of the white wires coming from the new windings for 100w of AC, & the other for rectifying & used to charge a battery if I wanted to install an electric start kit from the TRX400, but i'm not going down this route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts