Honda XRV Forum banner

Do we hire a Marquee?

• No thanks, I'd rather save the extra few quid for beer. A cheapo Gazebo will be fine.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes please, it would make a great place for the clowns to hold the usual XRV circus :)

Votes: 6 75.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would we like one? Looking at hiring, reasoning is that lots of folk are happy to erect a borrowed one, but when it comes to Sunday, most folk have there own tent to take down and a fair distance to travel to home.

Not strictly necessary (unless it rains, which it probably will if we don't get one) as there is the club house, but a nice to have for a post bar beer after last orders.

As it stands, camping is £5/pp per night. The cost of hiring a Marquee like the one pictured below is £265 and this includes VAT and Budget Marquees will put it up and taken down for us.

Based on average numbers it would roughly add an extra £2/pp per night.

The other option is for us to bring a couple of the cheap green and white gazebos which won't cost anything but also won't fit everyone in and won't have sides. :eek:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I'm all for the Marquee, but going by previous experiences with polls etc on whether we should, whether we shouldn't etc, I think it may be difficult for guys to commit at this stage.

Great idea though, hope you get a response, just don't let yourself get out of pocket.

Thanks for your efforts, really appreciated.

oh, I'm in for the Marquee :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Not sure how necessary it is given the club house, but I'm happy to pay a share of the cost. Might be nice to have our own dry space :rolleyes:.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Can I pitch my tent inside it? I hate having to dry it out when I get home.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'll be coming up on a van (have not got the all clear to ride yet but hoping I will by then and will put a bike in the back for gentle rideouts). I can bring gazebos and any other big stuff anyone one London has, or I can collect it it locally. I'll be coming up Wednesday, so can help get stuff set up in advance.

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback and wise words of caution guys :thumbup: Judging by the overwhelming response so far, I think we'll say that unless there are at least 50 yes votes by the time the poll closes on Tuesday then a Marquee is a definite No and gazebo round the open fire it will be :)

I'll be coming up on a van (have not got the all clear to ride yet but hoping I will by then and will put a bike in the back for gentle rideouts). I can bring gazebos and any other big stuff anyone one London has, or I can collect it it locally. I'll be coming up Wednesday, so can help get stuff set up in advance.
Whealie, will you be heading up the A12? If so you'll be going past my front door, I'll get in touch nearer the time if this is the case and shove some stuff in the van as you're passing if that's ok :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Whealie, will you be heading up the A12? If so you'll be going past my front door, I'll get in touch nearer the time if this is the case and shove some stuff in the van as you're passing if that's ok :thumbup:
Yep, get anything you need ready for collection. I'll wait for rush hour to die down then head up so before lunch.

Reactions: East Coast

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having organised 2 anni bashes for the VFR club, I was lucky to have the facilities on farm to accomodate the evening events. Having also been at Oulton Park for 4 days in a tent in the p***ing rain a marquee sounds welcoming:toothy9:, but I am happy to muck in putting gazza's up and taking them down if that's the prefered option. I will say yes to Marquee but.......just looking forward to meeting you all and having a couple of bevies :blob7:

Reactions: East Coast

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Just been to the ABR Midland rally. 160 names down, 50 odd turned up. I'm not expecting anything much more than "cozy" numbers and if it's wet I've got a big brolly ! :thumbup::rolleyes:

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With and overwhelming :rolleyes: 6 votes in favor of a Marquee, I delighted to announce that the cheapo Gazibo's win, and we won't be hiring a marquee on this occasion..

I'm sure most would agree, there is definitely sense in hiring a Marquee when the chosen campsite doesn't have a venue for folks to congregate and we're in a part of the UK where there is a good chance of rain. On this occasion we've got the on-site club house and well, we're not talking Wales here are we :D

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
How about asking Stuart if we can borrow his marquee as we did when we were up in Rosedale?

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts