Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent seen another thread (so if there is one please direct me to it!!!).

Anyone up for a Trail ride on Saturday 7th? Ive done the Dales only once before and there are some cracking lanes. Unfortunately a lot have been closed over the years so there may be a bit of road work involved to form a loop but its great countryside and single track tarmac in places. The green lanes around Hawes are great which isnt too far from the campsite.

There are a couple of tricky bits (one lane has some big rock steps - down only on big bikes!) , some fords etc etc. A mix of everything really. Ill be on a KTM 950. Suitable tyres as there is one nice long grassy lane and road tyres will really struggle to get traction.

Will see how popular a trail ride is before limiting numbers. Will be a leisurly ride. No rushing. Will factor in a lunch stop etc etc.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
What sort of tyres do you think will cope ??
Would Anakees be ok ?

·
Hill Rider
3,107 Posts
So, no tears, just the usual sleepless night due to snoring and a sore heed then!

Situation normal then :thumbup:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What sort of tyres do you think will cope ??
Would Anakees be ok ?
Hmmmm, road tyres on mud and grass. Yeah, sure. Its all down to the rider anyway. If you're willing to follow I'm willing to lead. A few local trails that are grassy and muddy, so care will be needed, then some long stone based ones around hawes which would be ok on dual sport.

Vara will be fine Chris. Yep, some good fords local, see pics on that thread I posted on page 1

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I may be up for this, not sure what bike I'm coming on yet, 950 has a bald scorpion on the rear and my XR still has an oil leak. Barftone did mention some long lanes nearby :toothy10:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may be up for this, not sure what bike I'm coming on yet, 950 has a bald scorpion on the rear and my XR still has an oil leak. Barftone did mention some long lanes nearby :toothy10:
You should all get decent tyres on yer bikes!!!!! A good dual sport tyre like a Meffo Super Explorer (or K60) on the rear and a TKC front will do in most situations. :D And will be OK for those road miles as well. (not saying thats what Ive got as my bikes are more off road biased....but if I wanted more of a road option then thats what Id go for)

Bob, it will be a slow and steady ride. No rushing. will help each other push and shove where required. Route will be about 80-90 miles. And yep, some nice long lanes close by. And apart from 1 rocky decent thats an optional (with a large rock step) there are no showstoppers (maybe the ford but again, optional). No one has to do any trail they are not happy with, there will always be a road way around.

Route will take us towards Hawes, then a few trails around there before the same trails in reverse back to the campiste. Unfortunately unless we do LOTS or road miles theres no obvious loop. And Id rather not rush and stick to the trails, besides doing a trail in reverse in always different.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
You should all get decent tyres on yer bikes!!!!! A good dual sport tyre like a Meffo Super Explorer (or K60) on the rear and a TKC front will do in most situations. :D And will be OK for those road miles as well. (not saying thats what Ive got as my bikes are more off road biased....but if I wanted more of a road option then thats what Id go for)

Bob, it will be a slow and steady ride. No rushing. will help each other push and shove where required. Route will be about 80-90 miles. And yep, some nice long lanes close by. And apart from 1 rocky decent thats an optional (with a large rock step) there are no showstoppers (maybe the ford but again, optional). No one has to do any trail they are not happy with, there will always be a road way around.

Route will take us towards Hawes, then a few trails around there before the same trails in reverse back to the campiste. Unfortunately unless we do LOTS or road miles theres no obvious loop. And Id rather not rush and stick to the trails, besides doing a trail in reverse in always different.
Sounds good Mike.

Re. Tyres: That's why I'll be bringing the Vara. The current tyres on the Alp need to do 2 more rallies this year!! :blob7:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I was looking up at Halsteads for a run out maybe on Saturday and noticed a few byways up there. Never had a look at Hadrians Wall before (I know...it's a wall!).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts