Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re: National 2013 possible sites - please only post possible or tried sites

Reminder, the location of the 2013 national meet is Takoda, Kirby Stephen, Cumbria Home - TAKODA CAMPING

It wil be the weekend of 5-8 September 2013.

The site responded:
"There is no problem at all booking your rally at our site. We encourage groups of bikers to come and explore some of what I think are the best riding roads in the UK," says Paul, who, with Maria, owns and runs the site.

He also said: "I am a well travelled Varadero rider and would be happy to give you some good local routes or help organise a ride-out."

Campsite
They will close the site to the general public for that weekend to avoid any conflict with families with young kids etc.

There are nearly two acres of flat grassed pitches and bikes can be parked next to the tents. Paul said: "There's a heated lounge/toilet block with electricity sockets for charging mobiles and hair straighteners". (Hair Straighteners? Must be for WinXP:D). The heated snug room can seat 48 and has eight power sockets.

And if any bikes break down or need batteries charging etc, Paul has a workshop on site and will open it up to help out the needy. Batteries can be charged overnight (four bikes used my charger at this year's national).

Communal fire
The site will clear a part of the path and set up a fire place there, and provide wood (though at the rate Hudders burns things we may have to chip in for some more:rolleyes:). They'd put up a marquee for us with six picnic tables. Maria made me laugh when she said: "The picnic tables seat six to eight people depending how wide you are, yes I know bikers." (WinXP again?)

Maria seemed to understand who might be coming. She told me: "The pub is five minutes walk there and 20 minutes walk back":toothy10:. There are restaurants and cafes etc in town too and one cafe has free wifi, for anyone who needs it. Mobiles work on the camping field.

The site's owners are involved with an orphanage in India with a friend called Jessie. She cooks traditional Indian (Tamil) food to raise money for the kids in the orphanage so there will be a curry-night on site, on Friday night at £10 a head. There's no licence for booze on site so that means everyone brings their own beer/wine.

See, curryaid - Home

Cost etc
Camping will be £7 per person per night camping but if we get 100 that will drop to £6.

Maria will create an event on their website and people can book in direct with her for as many nights as you like - even those arriving early will still pay the discounted rate. I'll let you know when bookings open.

There is no lighting or electricity in the camping field so headtorches required.

Saturday night (fever?)
What we are missing is a Saturday night big event, but we could see if there's a pub in the village that could sort something for us. Is anyone local prepared to go and chat to the landlord of the Kings Arms Hotel, which appears to have a big room, and see if they'd be prepared to put on some entertainments as we'll be there for that night. Check out the place first as reviews on Trip Adviser are pretty scathing. We may have to look elsewhere.

T-shirt and sticker designs will be done early and people can start planning ride outs well in advance.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts

Gary, the landlord of the White Lion, is a most accomodating chap. good beer £2/pint, he cant do much in the way of food but will happily supply you a plate and cutlery for any takeaway you want to bring into his pub. there is a chinese and chippy over the road.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts

Gary, the landlord of the White Lion, is a most accomodating chap. good beer £2/pint, he cant do much in the way of food but will happily supply you a plate and cutlery for any takeaway you want to bring into his pub. there is a chinese and chippy over the road.
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

planning to attend but possibly only Friday and Saturday nights. Will this require booking in advance or can we pay on arrival as in Norfolk...? I am sure I have asked his question already......apologies if answer had been give already...:confused:

IGNORE ME! I AM AN IDIOT, FOUND THE ANSWER ON A DIFFERENT THREAD.....

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts

Have you been in touch with Paul at the campsite Chris to confirm, because he could'nt remember a booking for us?

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Hey little fella.
Have you read Chris's post, if not the thread title gives a clue :rolleyes:
Yep read it, am I missing something?

When I spoke to Paul on Saturday night he could not remember a booking in Sept for the XRV bike meet

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Oh feck sake get your act together little hobbit. All sorted:thumbleft:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gutted missing this 2 years in a row, Kenya last year and off to Canada in Aug for 3 months, I will make another National at some point, Nice area for the meet and should be some good off road for the ones that are that way inclined.

Well have a good time and take it easy on the drink and all that, oh and keep safe guys and girls

Bazz

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I was with Hudders at the beginning of the month, at the site, speaking to the site owner, Paul, and he said he knew nothing about the XRV National being held there, and he even owns a Varadero! I was sceptical as well.
Paul did say his wife Maria would know better than him, but it did seem strange the owner, a fellow bike rider, not knowing about it?
I'm glad it's all sorted out, Paul and Maria are good friends of mine, and I look forward to seeing you all there, at the National.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Yep Hudders and myself went there last week friday and spoke ti the lady. He words"Oh dont ask him anything, he is useless. You want details and confirmation you got to talk to me, the boss":toothy7:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Maria could be my boss any time, she's a lovely lady! :thumbright:
Paul did say she would know better, shows he was right!

See you all there folks. :thumbleft:

·
part time adventurer
45 Posts
Hi Guys and gals, I must admit that i havn't had time to join the banter on here as yet. If anybody can help change my forum name from p031064 which is my date of birth if you hadn't guessed I would appreciate it as that is the reson I havn't joined in.....I am Paul, Maria's other half from Takoda Camping, we are really looking forward to hosting the XRV rally even though I didn't remember, partly because it was half arranged in Oct 2012 and a lot has happened since then.I have even put back my Arctic adventure to join in the fun.Cheers,Paul

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Paul

Some one will sort this out for you

Look forward to getting up there

Regs

Paul

1 - 20 of 422 Posts