Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home one of my normal routes when on taking a left turn off a busy commuter single carriageway, using the central TR lane, some dickhead on a sportsbike decided to use this lane to overtake slow moving traffic.

Thing is - not only was he using a lane designed for oncoming traffic to turn in front of him, he also crossed double whites and did so whilst turning his head to thank a car for letting him by, giving them a wee wave all whilst accellerating towards me - and he was closer to the oncoming lane divider then his own....hence he nearly collided with me headon!

I had just left 4 car lengths between me and a bus infront so I had proper visability into this central TR lane as it was busy, when just as I moved over into it, I heard the loud pipe accellerate. This guy was coming straight for me on first contact about 30m away looking sideways and waving - by the time I realised we where gong to hit, he was about 5m infront of me and had just turned his head and seen me - thankfully my immediate reaction was to countersteer left and flick the bike round the dickhead.

My eyes where wider than his and thats saying something cuz I seen the big vacant gap inside his head where a brain should be!

Closest ive ever come to seeing my life flash before me - and closest I ever want to come.

I cant say my abilities saved me but I was in the best position for the road and traffic conditions to make my life safe but I cannot believe I flicked the bike so quickly sideways to miss him.

If ever there was an argument for the 30mph emergency countersteer in the L-Test, this was it - I can comfortably say it saved my life today.

I was still in shock when I got back - I was scared to stop and recover as I might not have got back on - one of those, get straight back in the saddle things as the best cure...and it worked.

Thankful im still here to be thankful - feel like im dramatising it a bit but unfortunatley I dont think I am.

Countersteering - learn it! USE it....

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Well dome Farky
Your training has paid off.
Put the [email protected]@@ts up me just reading it.
You always plan the the 'can reasonably expect to happen' but is is a case of one you can't really plan for, good job you were observant.

I have mixed feelings about 'teaching' countersteer at the L plate point. I am well pleased I WAS shown it but for a while I did get caught out when the brain kicked in and said no don't do that. Now things are more 'automatic' - and just as you did was flick it... Bloody fast, just as well you were not riding a sportsbikes too !

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going to sound like a n00b now but .... what is counter steering? I've heard the phrase over the last decade I suppose but I can't find out what it is.

Someone like to explain .... please :confused:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Nice find Sharri

@Tiffy get yourself on a ridesafe, there will be one fairly close to you, the countersteering needs to be done to be appreciated and only when used in an emergency, like Farky, do you realise how benificial knowing about it is.
It also needs practising I delibratly dodge marks in the road, 1. it breaks boredom of long straight bits and 2 only when practised does it become second nature.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feeling somewhat better today - think ive just managed to get that picture out of my head...cant enjoy a bike with that image at the forefront of your mind.

I never learnt about countersteering until I was in the Alps on a VFR and struggling to get round all the hairpins - mate rode along side, sat up and pushed the bars to show me what he discussed earlier...I tried the same in full faith of his knowledge...hey presto, it works...suddenly even the mini-roundabouts became fun, even 2 up I could now manage them safely.

If you dont have this in your arsenal - stick to the bleedin road rules, left side of the white - never ever on a double and dont even think about using a central turning lane to overtaking.

However - again I admit - I used to use these central lanes for overtaking until I started with the AIM..not an active rider with them but sensible enough to be cautious when Im taught something that there must be a good reason for it....oh yes!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Glad you're through this Farky

UKTiffy

If you want to turn left quickly push the left side of the handle bar away from you as if you would be turning the front wheel to the right and the effect will be the bike wants to drop on it's left side very quickly

This helps enormously if you encounter a road position that's not good ie gravel in road on a bend, pothole on your line. It will allow you to change direction and as seen in Farky's case avoid collisions and save your life

Just think about how many drivers / riders are on the wrong side of the road on bends or cars pulling out on you. If you can ride round a problem that's the first port of call. Brakes is the last option because of the brake grip trade off. Once you brake hard you've lost steering to some extent

As Snaphappy has said get on a bikesafe course or do some advanced training. Your riding will totally change and you'll get so much more from your riding

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well done mate,

Quick response and good preparation, you were in the right position to give you the required time to take action.
going to meet Steve T the other night at the Lecht I was coming into a right hander and had position my self as far left as the road and road grid would allow .. banked over for a nice sweep into the bend ( near Glenkindie, my usual roads and know and loved ).

woooom as Frieking huge touring tourist bike right over the line ( German I think as I caught a glimpse of a black and white rear plate as I glanced in the mirrors to see that the F it was and if I need to go back and dig the bits out off a field)

I have ridden for years and counter steering used to be called knee in the tank i.e. if you wanted to turn left use your right knee in the tank to force the bike over, its got nothing to do with the knee in , because as you do it you pull the right bar end in hence counter steering.

I started ridding more often and more modern bikes about 6 years ago, and was surprised how much easier and better handling modern kit is.. And thought of my self as an experience rider.. 4 years ago started the odd ride out with Steve T and the troops up here..

I was taught old school and was always in the car tyre line near the centre of the road and was used to avoiding the near side..

Was very surprised to see Steve T's all over the road, hug far left to sweep right etc style...

Bottom line is I have learned a lot and am a dam site quicker through the lanes and can now keep the pace with Steve , Jim & John, and am also a lot safer..

The point? Road sense and good positioning will give you the time to react

Well done again mate... I suspect that had I been out of position I could have ended the nice German guys Holiday , and a lot worse..

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I'm going to sound like a n00b now but .... what is counter steering? I've heard the phrase over the last decade I suppose but I can't find out what it is.

Someone like to explain .... please :confused:
Rob, no you don't sound like a noob, we all learn something new each day and i didn't always know what it was and like you i said "whats that then" when a m8 first mentioned counter steering to me some years ago.

Ive no need to explain as peeps have already but give it a go m8, you will be surprised.. i had lots of fun on the cat when i first learnt it :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice find Sharri

@Tiffy get yourself on a ridesafe, there will be one fairly close to you, the countersteering needs to be done to be appreciated and only when used in an emergency, like Farky, do you realise how benificial knowing about it is.
It also needs practising I delibratly dodge marks in the road, 1. it breaks boredom of long straight bits and 2 only when practised does it become second nature.
Already booked for end of July. Been waiting on it for over 2 months now :thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thanks Sharriee useful video.

I've been doing that for years. I assumed everyone did this to lean a bike for a corner ... live and learn AND now I know what it's called. :toothy10:
I had no idea what it was called but I have been doing this every time I want to lean the bike over.
I used it when I first started riding a pushbike, as it was the easiest way to get the bike over fast enough.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Everyone will have done it to a certain degree if they have ridden a pushbike but that video doesnt really show how counter steering can be used to it's full potential.

Anyone who has ridden any kind of sports bike will tell you that once you learn to use it properly it's far easier to corner at speed... and fun too :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Actually according to Keith Code (riding guru) it's pretty much impossible to turn the bike at any sort of speed without countersteering.

Have a look at Keith Code on Counter Steering especially the bit about the bike with two sets of bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Everyone will have done it to a certain degree if they have ridden a pushbike but that video doesnt really show how counter steering can be used to it's full potential.

Anyone who has ridden any kind of sports bike will tell you that once you learn to use it properly it's far easier to corner at speed... and fun too
Me and my brother used to race our pushbikes as kids ... down a huge hill with a 90 degree bend at the end - one day he ended up in the huge tree that sat on the bend after under-steering!

I found it was on a natural reflex on the motorised version ... I guess it was all that practise :D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
A great way to see counter steering in action is the next time you have the front wheel off a pushbike, hold it between you hands by the axle - get someone to spin it really fast, then quickly push it with your left hand to the right - the wheel tilts very shapish to the left - so you can visualise really easily how pushing to the right makes the bike steer to the left. And voche vibley. :thumbright:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Thankful im still here to be thankful - feel like im dramatising it a bit but unfortunatley I dont think I am.

Countersteering - learn it! USE it....
Well done mate. Your clear head, quick assessment, proper planning beforehand and cool rapid reactions very likely saved two lives. And at the very least serious damage and injury.

Not a nice situation ever to be in, but you're able to write about it calmly afterwards, that's always a good thing. :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
41 Posts
christ chap, realy good you managed self preservation,probabaly find num nutts doesnt know how lucky he was :mad:

taught my youngest this little trick from day one still finds it odd now but
uses it ! sorry to say i do ride sport bikes and use this little gem to lay into corners all the time,not head to head with anything but quite quickly :p i do belive ride safe have fun but remember we have a lot of w*****s
ready and willing to kill us at every oppertunity,just very glad you had the abbility to miss this numpty,well done fella:thumbup:

keep safe , Boo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts