Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says I wanted a better way of fitting a satnav to the vara than the Ram mount thingy that attaches to the handle bar.
I had a idea of fitting a bracket of some sort behind the screen and above the clocks so went about planning something .
Had a look on the internet and found this £84 example

image.jpg

No way an I going to pay £84 for a something I can make for next to nothing , so went out to the bike and started measuring up ,15 mins later went to the shed and got some plastic sheet which I cut into the shape and size I desired.

image.jpg

Then got some aluminium strips and bent them to how I wanted the angles.

image.jpg

At work the following day I copied the plastic template and cut the shape out of 3mm aluminium

image.jpg

A few folds later using the strips I had bent to the correct angle

image.jpg

I took the bracket home and offered it up to the mounting holes for the screen ,marked out where the holes should be to attach it where I wanted it.
I also marked out holes for the TomTom power base unit .

image.jpg

Once satisfied the holes where actually where I wanted them I took them to work to powder coat

image.jpg

Unusual mix of powders I thought I'd slap together to try and mimick the plastic clock surround , texture was close but turned out a tad darker ( no big deal)
Anyway today I fitted it all on after drilling a small hole in the cowling for the power wire (well hidden):D
Connected to a power source I had fitted for my lights previously.

image.jpg

Very satisfied with the end result and the satnav's bloody brill too , first time I can actually receive and place phone calls on the bike without having to dig my phone out :happy7:
Why need a satnav some people say , my reply would simply be to find places and more importantly find my way home:D
I don't know if your'd class it as a bodge or a engineered mod , I had a need and fulfilled it end of:cool:

If anyone wants the plans gis a shout and I'll transfer them to paper for easier postage:thumbup:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Why need a satnav some people say , my reply would simply be to find places and more importantly find my way home:D
No shame in that. Sometimes it's great to just go where the spirit takes you or use your 'head-map'. Other times when you just need to be somewhere you don't know, a Sat-Nag is fine.

I don't know if you'd class it as a bodge or a engineered mod , I had a need and fulfilled it end of:cool:
If it works and you didn't lose any fingers, I'd say it was engineering. ;)

(I'm quite keen to metal-bash myself, so I now feel a bit ashamed that I use a RAM mount for my Tomtom Go 720, though it does place it nicely where I want it - on the bars next to my mirror).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi, Paul,
Have you tought of making some more and selling them on the forum,
I would be intrested at the right price :thumbleft:

Ian

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thought about and decided it would be to hard in any great numbers , the odd 2 or three would be do-able
But more than that no .
I do have a spare plate and one folded but not painted if Axlerodi does not want it anyone can just ask.
I don't do things to make any sort of profit that's why I make the things in the first place .
If I had to total the cost of the Ali and the time prefabricating plus powder coating it would be around the £35 - £40 mark + pp , queuing at the post office on a Saturday .
Time I should be on me bike enjoying my freedom not put another chain around my ankle keeping me from riding , if you know what I mean.
So only for people I've know for a while would swing me over

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
as usual looks good Fella as with the screen you made for me looks shop bought and would sell for top dollar

:thumbup: Derek

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
that looks ace! I always have the problem of the sat-nav sinking behind my tank bag and becoming almost "invisible" ! looks like a grand job!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tony do you want the spare ?
I don't know what satnav you have or how you would attach it mind you.
I just fitted the tomtom rider holder directly to the bracket .

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
very kind of you Sir.....I have the old Touratech holder with lockable flap that I bought from Nev.....may be with a little help I should be able to reposition that somewhere else.....I have a Tom Tom rider

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
very kind of you Sir.....I have the old Touratech holder with lockable flap that I bought from Nev.....may be with a little help I should be able to reposition that somewhere else.....I have a Tom Tom rider
You should be able to fix the lockable one to the new bracket.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You should be able to fix the lockable one to the new bracket.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
feel like a coffee at PaulC coming along here.....

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll spray it up , and have a meet-up at the ace one day .
If you bring the charging dock or bits you want fitted we're have a look.
At the very least you'll see what mine looks like up and running :cool:
The fitting holes in the back of my tomtom dock match the square ram mount perfectly
image.jpg

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Fantastic piece of work Paul

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Good job and well made, functional:thumbleft:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lloks great.. Any chance of you doin g the same for holders for external lights. Using the to screws holding the plastig fairing in place above front indicators a s holders... there are some for sale fo 90 £ but shouldn't be to hard to bodge up one self.. Guessing it needs to be a bit curved and then have a protruding part for the light to be mounted on..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts