Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope to rejoin the ranks of XL ownership having previously owned a 1982 XL 250s (have regretted selling it ever since).
I have been unable to find a decent 250s to invest in but have found a good looking 84 model with the RFVC engine and twin carb's. Now my predicament is that I have no experience with this motor and have it in my mind that these were prone to cracking heads? Are there any other concerns with this model that I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance for your replies, I have searched and read alot of threads but need to be convinced to buy it :sunny:.
Thanks Steve

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
I don't think you need to worry.
The cracking heads are a problem of the 6oo series; in my opinion, that's only partially due to the fact that Honda used gingerbread instead of aluminium... for the other part it's caused by the valves being very large, so there is not much material around them.

On such a small bore bike, that ought to be better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Krtek, I appreciate your advice. Good luck in the World cup by the way :thumbleft:

·
334 Posts
Wut? Oh... soccer. Yeah, thanks ;-)

·
TRF member
147 Posts
erm....i had a CB 250 RS that cracked the head,granted it was not RFVC,but 4 valve none the less...bloody good bike though:thumbup:

·
334 Posts
Oh, I'm sure it's possible for a small bore bike to crack the head... it's just not something you hear about all the time, as with the 600 cc RFVC engines.

·
2,701 Posts
Yes, it's fairly common for 250 heads to crack, . . . between valve seat and spark plug hole. . . . . just try to find a second hand head for a 250rfvc. . . . . but to be fair there are still loads about that are running ok.
if the bike is running sweetly its probably ok.

ps
there are a couple of good threads on here on 250 renovations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help guys.
Is the head cracking avoidable or is it due to poor alloy or overheat probs.
I have an aversion to vehicles that die/fail due to poor design or materials.
I may have to wait for another XL to come along :(
I will read the threads on 250 engine upgrades however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts