Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temperamental problem noticed on hols. Have to engage the clutch to get the engine to start. Sometimes the bike won't start without it - kept thinking I had knocked the kill switch or left it in gear - Must be something simple.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
It's got to be one of: side stand switch, neutral switch, or clutch switch. Anyone of them will stop it starting but pulling the clutch in will put the right logic in place. My guess would be the clutch switch.

A bit fiddly but they can be dismantled and the contacts cleaned. I fixed my wife's on her 125 a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Check the two wires going onto the microswitch on the clutch lever, and drown the microswitch in WD40.

Failing that, there are a couple of diodes in the safety circuit; it might be one of those.

Let me know how you get on.

(if it's the switch, you could temporarily bodge it by just connecting the two wires together using a long spade blade, or strip of metal)

:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As above I would say it is the switch.
They are only made of plastic with a few bits of metal inside, buy a new one and it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
If it's only a 2 wire going to the clutch switch and it starts when the clutch is pulled in then it can't be that switch as it's clearly operating. The only time your bike should need starting with the clutch pulled in is when the stand is up and the bike in gear. Side stand down shouldn't need the clutch pulling in as long as it's not in in gear. If it is in gear it should never start with the stand down regardless of clutch position.

Does the neutral light work properly? If so the the neutral switch is ok so that leaves either the side stand switch (if it's a 3 wire one) or the diode pack (probably) in the fusebox. The diode pack looks like a 3 legged fuse with 2 diodes back to back.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
dont think its the clutch switch, as you can start it. it thinks its in gear, check the wee diode too as I think that in the circuit..

if the side stand down and you put it in gear.. it will kill the motor

if its in gear the starter cuircuit is disabled if the clutch is out..

top of the heed this wheelie as I have not got the cct diag here ..

like folk have said .. clean the switches and use your ACF 50 :thumbup:

also check the starter solonoid connectiona nd give them a spray too :thumbup:

RD04 has two diodes.. one in the fuse box ( wee black round thing ) the other is under the tank.. part way down the left looks like a black square thing, same on the 600 Alp :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a gear problem. And not a sidestand problem. I would be upright, no sidestand down, neutral light on and still need to engage the clutch to start it. And it was not every time. Once it would start no clutch, the next time nada (well I was in Spain) until I pulled in the clutch.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Can't help with whatever problem you are having

On an aside note I always use a clutch when starting any engine albeit car or bike

No chance of a kangaroo if it's stuck in gear but mainly an old habit from old cars in winter and modern big V twins. There is less drain on the battery and starter

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
If it's only a 2 wire going to the clutch switch and it starts when the clutch is pulled in then it can't be that switch as it's clearly operating

DOH!!! You're quite correct young Boris! I must pay more attention at the back, rather than throwing these silly paper planes at teacher!

Didn't you have a problem with the kill switch a while back Chris? Perhaps it's come back to haunt you?

Failing that, like I say, possibly one of the diodes on the safety circuit. When the plug in one went on my RD04 I got odd faults, like not starting, or neutral light permamently on.

:joker:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't help with whatever problem you are having

On an aside note I always use a clutch when starting any engine albeit car or bike

No chance of a kangaroo if it's stuck in gear but mainly an old habit from old cars in winter and modern big V twins. There is less drain on the battery and starter
I think it may have been a problem earlier as I often do that anyway when on the bike so might not have noticed.

I noticed it first while trying to put my credit card away left handed at a petrol station and hitting the starter switch with my right hand. Also, when starting the bike first thing and thinking I'd leave it running for a minute or two while putting my gloves and helmet on. Then I started to noticed it would sometimes works and sometimes not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts