Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Little history first.
Got this bike few years ago, many things done to it by PO. Not many good. But it was running, I did some basic mechanic work, and went to few trips, not many problems.
A week ago, I,ve tried to "refresh" fuel pump, since lately the bike was acting up, kind of hiccups instead of running smooth. I bought a reparation thingy from Tourmax, plug and play kind off.
Now the pump seems bad.
Before this, pump was ticking even with just a contact on, but now even when cranking the engine, it just cliks once, when key is turned..
Trying to dig in, I have realised that most of wiring and connections need a serious work. By the way, I have no clue about electrical things. I can solder, but that,s it..
So...
To make this wiring hell work properly, where do I even start? Connections are bad and melted, everything looks like the bike was at the butchers..
If you decide to answer, I am warning you, I am an idiot for anything electrical. Also, I have to do it by myself, have very limited time during the day and work in the open....
IMG_20210718_124211261_HDR.jpg IMG_20210718_124130213_HDR.jpg IMG_20210718_124156279_HDR.jpg IMG_20210718_124146339_HDR.jpg IMG_20210718_124222938_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You have your work cut out for you good luck, first job is to make good all those burnt connections as you probably know. You can get all the plugs and terminals (crimps) from these
As for the fuel pump it doesn't always tick as you say. The way in simple terms it works is it pulses (ticks) when the fuel is low in the carburettor float bowls. when they fill up and the float valves close the pressure stops the pump pulsing until the fuel is used and the float valves open allowing the pump to work again, the more fuel you use the more the pump pulses

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the pump:
I understand that, mine was ticking until it fill up the carbs, but it would start doing it as soon as the key was turned, then it would stop. Now it does not at all, even though it should since there is no fuel in the carbs.. It just clicks once, so the fuel is not going through..
For the wiring: some wires have dead ends, I know the wires for the stand are cut off. I don't even know what kind of wires to get. Maybe easier to get second hand wire harness?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would replace the reg/rec with a mosfet plenty of information on how to do it on here and the web. That will tidy up some of the wires.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yea, that harness definitely looks a bit tired. It would be much easier to buy another one in better condition than yours. Of course, you could solder/crimp sections/connectors that are "too far gone", or re-create the whole thing if you felt inclined, but it is a lot of work. I am sure I've seen harnesses come up on ebay for £70-£100, which in the grand scheme of things is not a lot...Mine has the mosfet reg/rec soldered into the harness ("bypassing" the connector as the PO found this helps with the starting). So far, I didn't feel the need to argue with it.

Pozdrav... i sretno. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, that harness definitely looks a bit tired. It would be much easier to buy another one in better condition than yours. Of course, you could solder/crimp sections/connectors that are "too far gone", or re-create the whole thing if you felt inclined, but it is a lot of work. I am sure I've seen harnesses come up on ebay for £70-£100, which in the grand scheme of things is not a lot...Mine has the mosfet reg/rec soldered into the harness ("bypassing" the connector as the PO found this helps with the starting). So far, I didn't feel the need to argue with it.

Pozdrav... i sretno. :)
That is what I probably will do, considering my free time and lack of talent. It would be nice to learn, bu I want to ride as well, hopefuly soon :)
Pozdrav i hvala puno!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with the replacement wiring harness. That current harness will have corrosion going back inside the insulation of every wire from every plug. I've dealt with it before and It's difficult to get a good solder or crimp connection on wires like that.
As to the MOSFET rec/ reg, I have no expertise be with them, but if your current one is working fine run an earth return wire from the mounting screw directly to the battery negative. I've owned my '03Transalp 650 from new and made that mod when it was a year or 2 old. It still runs the original rec/ reg after more than 180,000km. Rust I the frame is often the reason why they fail, so a good return circuit keeps them working properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did order a wiring harness from boonstraparts, I hope arrives this week. I will probably need some connectors and still need to find a facet pump to order.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If possible replace all the old pins/ lugs in the plugs of anything that plugs into the wiring harness. Also check the condition of all pins/ lugs on the harness that you have ordered. Good electrical connections at the are important to extending the life of the electrical equipment on the bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
A local auto electrical supply chain stocks that type of plug system. I considered using them if I couldn't get the type I required for my '70s Kwaka 750 twin from the local bike Wreckers, but I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts