Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the engine out of the 1970 Triumph T120R TR6 I aquired in Germany and have need of some bodging advice from you experts out there...
I have just taken the primary chain case off and totally de-greased it..
On closer inspection it looks like some ham fisted fool has hit it with a hammer to loosen it(not me)....:(:(:(
There is a small dent in the aluminium on the outside but on the inside there are three very small cracks radiating from the centre of the dent about half inch long and they look like they might allow oil to seep out and we cant have that...
Are there any products on the market that I could use to fill the cracks that will adhere to the aluminium casing with the hot oil swishing around in there..
I could try get someone to weld it
I am thinking af buying a belt drive clutch conversion that can be run without oil but I dont want to splash out on that until I see what other problems are lurking deeper in the engine.
I cant post a photo at the moment as jnr is out chasing Danish totty with his mates on their bikes and he wont be back until next weekend.
Suggestions please...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will it adhere to the inside with the hot oil moving around?
I would much rather just drill the thing and have it ally welded or just leave it alone and do the conversion....;)
I cant see the cracks on the outside of the case with my magnifying glass so we might get away with it.:thumbup:
The clutch is out and time to remove the basket and the alternator gubbins thingy bob.
I forgot how much fun this is delving deep inside Triumph engines and performing bodgery...:D:D:D
I have used up two rolls of kichen roll already so I need to go and chat up the girls in the local red cross shop and see if I can bum a bag of old t shirts n stuff they cant sell in their shop and use em as rags...
Jnrs bossis getting me a roll of industrial blue paper at cost price when he gets back from holiday for £15, that should last a while.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I be thinking if there was oil in there and none coming out it will be fine does the primary chain run close to the cracks ? the chain might run on it and do more harm than good . was it high up or low down . jb weld is great stuff to repair engine cases good solid crash bars are even better then you don't need to do repairs not riding like an idiot and watching out for the other headless idiots is an even better plan :D it took me years to figure that one out .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crack is visable only on the inside and its just below where the oil level should be and I am just nervous that it might get bigger and maybe,heaven forbid, leak oil and I am not having oil on my living room floor....The wife would go mental.....(If I had one) :D:D:D
I am probably worrying over nothing but better safe than sorry in my opinion...;););)
Time to get back to my strip down..:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up gents.:thumbup:
Unfortunately because there is no where around here that stocks !/2" AF I will have to resort to drastic measures and have a go with a 13mm long socket...
The cylinder base nuts gave me the same problem but a 13mm ring spanner did the trick there.
Looks like I will have to go jump out on my bike and go and borrow a long 13mm socket.
I just ordered a clutch locking tool from ebay so that should be here by September so once I get these studs off and order new ones, I may as well start planning my attack on the gearbox.

TRIUMPH TWIN CLUTCH LOCKING TOOL 3TA T90 5TA 5T TIGER100 6T T110 T120 T140

I am not bragging but I know these gearboxes inside out because my last Triumph had one too and every time the mother in law came round to visit her daughter and jnr, I would tell her I was working on my gearbox and dissappear into my workshop until she went home..
Sometimes she would ruin my night by coming into my workshop for a fag as it was the only place where smoking was allowed as jnr was a rug rat and I would have to talk to her about the gearbox which usually got rid of her sharpish....:cool:
I must have stripped it down dozens of times, cant wait.....:D:D:D
PS,
Has anyone got a micrometer they want to sell so I can measure up the crankshaft journals, the only one I got is a 4 inch Japanese NSK that is way too big.:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts