Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got or used one of these kits or similar?

I'm having trouble pulling the piston out using the kit, surely it cant be that difficult as they dont seem to want to move, when I use the metal bobbin to level against the caliper body with the cone shaped bit inside the socket inside the piston. So I must be doing something wrong, the kits dont have any instructions...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Put the right sized bobbin on the cone and put the whole lot into the piston, wind the top t-bar until the cone expands inside the piston tightly not super tight but enough that it won't slip.
Fit the slide hammer into the end of the t-bar and bang the piston out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's much easier to remove the brake pistons using the hydraulic pressure of the brake system. Remove the brake pads and insert a piece of flat metal in their place - a paint scraper is ideal for this. Then pump the brake lever to extend the pistons from the caliper, add brake fluid to the master cylinder as the level drops. One piston usually comes right out first and the scraper holds it in place and maintains pressure in the system until the second piston reaches full extension. At this point the pistons are almost completely out, pushed up against the paint scraper, then you slide the scraper out and just pull the pistons out by hand or with a pair of pliers . . . with a bucket underneath to catch the spilling fluid.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When all else fails put a bolt in the hose thread hole, clamp the the other cylinder with a small G clamp or something and use a high pressure grease gun. This always works for me. Much more hydraulic pressure than the master cylinder. Make sure you have cleaned it all out though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts