Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite forecasts to the contrary, today dawned (relatively) warm and dry in Leicestershire :cool:. Not having been out for a while, Nessie had been looking at me longingly every time I opened the garage door, so today my friend and riding buddy Chris brought his trusty purple CBR over, and off we set into the depths of the countryside. There are lots of good roads to ride around here and we soon found ourselves parked up here:

As usual, after a couple of weeks off the bike, I was a bit nervous (read "terrified" :rolleyes::eek: ) to begin with, but each time it takes me less time to get into my stride. I stalled once on a tricky hill start/turn, but, having got that out of the way, it was plain sailing thereafter, and I didn't stall again at all. It really does get easier each time :blob7:. After a bit, Nessie's fuel light came on, and we stopped for petrol for the first time since I'd bought her. Of course, i managed to slosh some fuel over the forecourt, but again, I know I will do it better next time.

Another point to mention. Chris and I experiemented with some Scalarider The classic wireless Motorcycle headset for bikers bike-to-bike radio sets. I have to say, I was totally impressed, and they help massively with confidence, knowing that you can communicate two-ways.

Anyhows, the adventure continues, so watch this space!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, agreed, the more you get out the better it'll get!
Good report on the Scala headsets, I've been considering them for me and Fiona as we use both bikes to tour in this country.
Enjoy!

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Don't recognise where you are from the picture Lulu (suspect somewhere around Swithland) The roads out towards Melton, Ashby Foleville and Rutland water make for a nice ride out for future reference (my usual stomping ground)..................Now the summers here :rolleyes: you'll soon get a feel for your bike and take it in your stride :thumbup:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not far off, DC, we did ride through Swithland, but this is taken along Woodhouse Lane at Nanpantan Reservoir. I'm not yet brave enough to ride as far as Rutland Water, but come the summer... :cool::cool::cool:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Good report on the Scala headsets, I've been considering them for me and Fiona as we use both bikes to tour in this country.
Enjoy!
We found them excellent. Minimal background noise and very clear. Makes riding in pairs/groups much more fun :thumbup:.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Another point to mention. Chris and I experiemented with some Scalarider The classic wireless Motorcycle headset for bikers bike-to-bike radio sets. I have to say, I was totally impressed, and they help massively with confidence, knowing that you can communicate two-ways.
Lulu, can you tell us a bit more about the Scalarider? I've had a look on their site but there doesn't seem to be anything on how the intercoms are powered or whether there are any dealers in UK. I have had an Autocom bike to bike set up for several years but have never been too happy with it so am looking for a change, hopefully for the better.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Steinberg

Apologies for the delay in response, I wanted to check the answer to some of your questions. The product that we have used is here. First, let me make clear I am not trying to sell or promote any particular product, this is just sharing our experience with this particular set up. I've not tried any alternative apart from one-way (wired) radio, so I have no real grounds for comparison.

That said, we have found them to be very good. The main advantage is that they are completely wireless, and allow two-way communication over a mile radius (allegedly, although we have not put this to the test). The sets use rechargeable batteries, with a charger, so you do not need to take any power from the bike (although you can probably wire the charger to the bike). The charge lasts for around 9 hours riding (again, allegedly, not tested). They certainly work for some hours. Conversation is very easy and clear, and no delay, unlike autocomms. They can be used with up to 4 riders, but we have only 2 headsets at the moment. We've not used them with GPS or phone, although they should work with these.

The downside is cost. I don't know how they compare with Autocomms, but the sets are expensive. Chris bought his (2 headsets) for £235 but this was heavily discounted as he is an instructor - standard retail price is £400+. He got them direct from Cardo. If you were interested in trying them out, we'd be happy to arrange a meet up half-way, and might be able to do a deal on a set as Chris is able to buy at lower price and sell on - if you're interested in pursuing it, send me a PM. Also, we'd be happy to bring them to the 'ladies meet' being organised, so that others can try them out.

Lou

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Well done on your trip.
It does become easier and you will find it taking less time to get used to it.
Riding a bike requires a certain amount of muscle memory, in as much as knowing where all the controls are and combined with the feel of the bike.
Once these are mastered it is a simple case of concentrating on the environment you ride in.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Good to hear you're out and about on Nessie. Hopefully the weather will settle down and you'll get plenty of opportunities to ride now.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you're out and about on Nessie. Hopefully the weather will settle down and you'll get plenty of opportunities to ride now.
Thanks DDY. Yes, I'm soooooo looking forward to summer :cool::glasses7::sunny::sunny::sunny: (assuming we get one this year, that is :rolleyes: ). Time off work and some kind weather, and there'll be no stopping me. Aiming for a full licence before the winter descends...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thanks DDY. Yes, I'm soooooo looking forward to summer :cool::glasses7::sunny::sunny::sunny: (assuming we get one this year, that is :rolleyes: ). Time off work and some kind weather, and there'll be no stopping me. Aiming for a full licence before the winter descends...
I think summer this year will be on the weekend of 19th and 20th of June.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Nice one Lulu,

Glad to see your getting on with the new bike :thumbup::thumbup:

I think " Nessie " should come up and introduce herself to the Scottish Clan-- :blob8:

Just in time for the tourist season ;);)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice work Lulu, good to see the Van Van out and about :thumbleft:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts