Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone assist me with a strange problem I am having when riding the @ into work the neutral light and the oil light emit a faint glow but work normally when neutral is engaged or the bike is being started in the case of the oil light.

I suspect it may be a bad earth somewhere but need some help in locating the earth points/blocks or any other suspect connections on the @ to check them and clean them up. There is sufficient oil in the engine and the gearbox works normally.

The strange problem is that the faint glow is not always constant and sometimes one or both lights go out completely whilst riding which is confusing me no end. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hi All,

Can anyone assist me with a strange problem I am having when riding the @ into work the neutral light and the oil light emit a faint glow but work normally when neutral is engaged or the bike is being started in the case of the oil light.

I suspect it may be a bad earth somewhere but need some help in locating the earth points/blocks or any other suspect connections on the @ to check them and clean them up. There is sufficient oil in the engine and the gearbox works normally.

The strange problem is that the faint glow is not always constant and sometimes one or both lights go out completely whilst riding which is confusing me no end. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian.
Definatly sounds like a bad earth to test it by get a length of wire connect it to the neutral on the battery and to the ground of the clock lights if they go out you know your right. Unfortunatly theres no easy way to find the problem you have to trace the cables back through the wiring loom somtimes they solder a number of grounds together and tape them up in the wiring harness which makes a fault a bitch to find but if only the clock lights are affected it might be close to them check the lamp holders and where they plug in clean them if necessary and good luck. hope this was of some help

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The commonality between these 2 lights is that they both come out of the same conduit behind the front sprocket area and then go through a common connector further up...not sure where that connector is but it shows it in the wiring diagram. Just follow it up from the sprocket cover. Both these switches are single wire and provide their own ground from their respective switches.
Both these switches live in a greasy dirty area and I would start by checking the connections and cleaning them up. Also find that common connector for security.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Oh shit ignore my bit sounds like these lights come on by grounding through their relative switches doing what i sugested will only bring them on

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh shit ignore my bit sounds like these lights come on by grounding through their relative switches doing what i sugested will only bring them on
Well your still sorta right :p...as many of the indicator lights do share a common ground....but not the oil press. & neutral lights. ;)

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Mmm... I get the same thing on my two fuel lights. Wasn't so noticeable until I changed to LEDs, and although it's still fainter than normal so you can tell when they're on or off, it never occurred to me that it might be a bad earth. Maybe it's worth me looking into that as well when I get time.

This problem isn't likely to cause any major electrical problems if left unsorted is it (always asssumed it was just a minor inconvenience that I'd get around to sooner or later but if it's a bad earth it makes me concerned slightly). Not too hot where electrics are concerned so not sure.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You could try disconnecting one of the leds or remove one of the bulbs, if the other light goes out then the lights (LED's ) wires might be touching somewhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the information I will get the meter out this weekend and try to locate the connector block and also clean up the switches electrical contacts.

I hope to be getting a new chain and sprockets set to fit at the weekend so will have another reason to take the sprocket cover off.

I too have leds fitted to all the dashboard bulbs so I will try replacing them temporarily with standard bulbs to see if it makes any difference to the faint glow of the oil and neutral lights.

Ian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts