Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There
I'm new owner of a 1991 XL600V, bike passed MOT few weeks ago and i purchased last week! last couple of days i started to find difficult to get into neutral, not to bad on cold engine but a real struggle as soon as the engine warm up, clutch lever seems fine. Any idea what cause the issue?
Hopefully nothing really serious or expensive.
Any help would be really appreciate.
Cheers
Mauro.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hello Mauro and welcome to the forum.

Your clutch issues could be one or more of the following. Hopefully, it's not a serious issue, just a matter of tinkering.

1) Clutch cable. Maybe it needs some adjustment, or is expanding/stretching as the engine heats up. Adjusts at clutch lever.
2) Plain clutch plates. These can warp if previous owner/s abused the clutch, causing them to get hot. More time consuming and costly to fix.
3) Drive chain out of adjustment. Believe it or not, this could cause difficulty in finding neutral if it is too tight or slack. Easy to check.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob
I will try to see if I can adjust at the lever myself(the actual lever seems quite tight(hard to pull)or just i need to get used to) i also noticed that when the neutral is not engaging is quite hard to shift in second gear......I need to pull up quite hard with my foot to get into gear.I start to consider to have a proper service done by a workshop so they can address any issue and see if need new oil( Like JOHN mentioned).
Thank you.
Mauro.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
I don't know about early Trannies, but Honda clutches are very light.
My Trannie, Vigor and Earlier Dommies all had light clutches.
I hope it is just your cable, but it could be a bit of damage to the clutch or actuation mechanism.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So
I been reading few treads about the issue and someone suggested to twist and accelerate the throttle slightly to find the neutral and I had tried and worked all the time! I still don't think is correct(as I never had to do it on my other bikes!)so when I got the chance and some(cash!) I'm planning to had the bike serviced.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Mauro

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
Idol speed / tick over too high perhaps?
Also the gear pedal angle (sounds strange but the angle of you foot can make a difference)
First though would be clutch cable adjustment and chain.
Let us know how you get on :thumbleft:

·
Registered
897 Posts
So
I been reading few treads about the issue and someone suggested to twist and accelerate the throttle slightly to find the neutral and I had tried and worked all the time! I still don't think is correct(as I never had to do it on my other bikes!)so when I got the chance and some(cash!) I'm planning to had the bike serviced.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Mauro
Although my bike is the 650 the clutch is light, with normal clutch lever adjustment there is a little lever movement from the bar before the clutch bites, gear selection including getting neutral can only be described as slick must be the best I've had.

If you have the play on the lever set right I would try another cable first, it could be seizing/fraying/jamming, if its not that at least you will have a spare which is always handy. and talking of cables going stiff I cannot recommend highly enough a cable oiler, that is providing the cable outer is not nylon lined because to the best of my knowledge oil will swell the nylon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts