Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in my mid thirties and never been into bikes so much so that I've never owned one before now, however a chap at work has had one lying about for the last two years with the intention of doing his CBT with it but he never got round to it. Its a Cat C right off but you couldn't tell and with only 9,000 miles and £300 I though sod it why not.

As it has stood for a while I've had to fettle and grease the chain and I've treated the old girl to a pair of new Bridgestone BT45s as the front tyre had a slight slit in the sidewall and I understand the Trailwings don't have a great reputation. I'll also carry out and oil and filter change before my CBT which is in two weeks time.

Being a complete bike novice (although I do know a bit about car mechanics working in the parts dept of a garage) I have ordered an owners manual but untill that arrives could somebody explain to me how the fuel reserve switch works? I don't even know what position its supposed to be in and when as there isn't another mark to show if the switch is on, off or on reserve, also I take it that you turn it on when you're getting fuel and then off to 'fill' the reserve? Also would a 2001 Varadero 125 have a low fuel warning indicator or not?

Cheers chaps.

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
Can't help you with any tech info... but the Baby Vara seems a sound bike. When I did my Direct Access Scheme training a couple of years ago,the trainer used one (his son's bike, borrowed 'cos his own "Trumpet" had sprung a leak). He was happy on the Vara- physically big enough for him (he wasn't a small chap) and plenty quick enough to lead the DAS treks.
I hope you enjoy using it.
Huw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Huw, I'm about 6'2 so it was another attraction in that its not a small bike.

Being in Jersey we can't do DAS here though, its CBT, Theory, 125cc test which then limits you to no more than a 125 for 12 months then the big bike test.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If memory serves...

pointing up is on, middle is off, pointing down is reserve - but I'll go check for you...

*edit* scratch that - other way round, long 'arrow' pointing down is on, middle is off, up is reserve

·
Registered
100 Posts
As for the rest... don't think it should have warning light, my missus' doesn't but its an 07. And I'm not sure about the 'filling reserve up' idea, generally it is just a lower part of the tank that you allow fuel out of when you turn it to reserve - it is on my scooter anyhow

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
you dont 'fill' the reserve, what happens is the bike will start to stutter a little as it runs out of fuel, you turn the knob 180degs onto 'reserve' and that allows the engine to use the bottom couple of inches of fuel in the tank. dont worry if you arent quick enough to do it while riding, pull over and do it, safety 1st and all that. if the bike dies completely just put it on reserve and wait a few seconds for the float bowl to fill before starting.
bikes with a tap dont normally have a light, so thats all the warning you get to go fill up, and dont forget to put the knob back to 'on' or next time you really have run out!
another thing to do is to see how far you can go on reserve, so you know in the future. strap a 2ltr squash bottle of fuel to the back and simply run her dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right hang on chaps, bear with me as I've had some Rose :clown: and the bike is at work so I can't go and check right now so should it be left with the long arrow pointing down which is the on setting normally? or at the middle/off position? (according to CJC)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Right hang on chaps, bear with me as I've had some Rose :clown: and the bike is at work so I can't go and check right now so should it be left with the long arrow pointing down which is the on setting normally? or at the middle/off position? (according to CJC)
In my experience with the Africa Twin it didn't matter if u closed the tab or not and I used to leave it on all the times. My guess is that baby Dero is the same but I stand to be correct by one of our more learned forum members...

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
924 Posts
small end up, long end down was "on", and you use that setting so you get a splutter and can switch to small end down, long end up "reserve" to go and get more fuel. if you leave it on reserve you get a splutter... and an empty tank. horizontal would be "off"

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my experience with the Africa Twin it didn't matter if u closed the tab or not and I used to leave it on all the times. My guess is that baby Dero is the same but I stand to be correct by one of our more learned forum members...

Hope this helps....
Hi
Hi,

I'm in my mid thirties and never been into bikes so much so that I've never owned one before now, however a chap at work has had one lying about for the last two years with the intention of doing his CBT with it but he never got round to it. Its a Cat C right off but you couldn't tell and with only 9,000 miles and £300 I though sod it why not.

As it has stood for a while I've had to fettle and grease the chain and I've treated the old girl to a pair of new Bridgestone BT45s as the front tyre had a slight slit in the sidewall and I understand the Trailwings don't have a great reputation. I'll also carry out and oil and filter change before my CBT which is in two weeks time.

Being a complete bike novice (although I do know a bit about car mechanics working in the parts dept of a garage) I have ordered an owners manual but untill that arrives could somebody explain to me how the fuel reserve switch works? I don't even know what position its supposed to be in and when as there isn't another mark to show if the switch is on, off or on reserve, also I take it that you turn it on when you're getting fuel and then off to 'fill' the reserve? Also would a 2001 Varadero 125 have a low fuel warning indicator or not?

Cheers chaps.
hi bit late now lol just seen ur date on here
But the baby varadero people say it does around 240 to 250 miles on a full tank
So fill it up then press counter to 0
Then 240 ish miles later your ready for a top up
Sorry I didn’t comment 9 yrs ago
Better late then never !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts