Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So impressed with the TA 650 that i bought i am seriously thinking about the 700 something with low mileage and all the bits on.Has anybody upgraded to a 700 from a 650 and can give me some comparrison between the two bikes ?Hope to get a test ride this weekend quite like the look of the gold colour scheme.:p

·
Registered
533 Posts
So impressed with the TA 650 that i bought i am seriously thinking about the 700 something with low mileage and all the bits on.Has anybody upgraded to a 700 from a 650 and can give me some comparrison between the two bikes ?Hope to get a test ride this weekend quite like the look of the gold colour scheme.:p
Having owned both, and last weekend my mate test rode both, I can say the 700 is much smoother on the road, gives more confidence on corners, roundabouts etc, and is obviously much more powerful - not just in numbers but also delivery.

The 700 is just as good on normal green lane riding in my experiance, and I even rode up a couple of banks and down ditches with no problems, if you are serious about off-road the 650 might be better (taller front wheel, no ABS etc) but if you are that serious would you want a Transalp at all?

The 700 is a much better tourer too, it vibrates much less at motorway speed and I can ride all day and arrive in good condition (provided I stop every hour for a quick stretch). On the motorways it has enough to ride fast (95) if required without complaint, even with luggage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dubhe not really a green laner sounds like the 700 would be ideal for what i do.Better get my money out at the weekend.

·
Registered
533 Posts
And Gold (or barley as Honda call it) is the best colour! I have the matching top box and think it looks great.

The only other bike I would consider is the Varadero, big, ugly, but excellent tourer and good value.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think the Varadero might be a bit heavy and bulky for me Im 60 and the weight of the TA suits me fine.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Think the Varadero might be a bit heavy and bulky for me Im 60 and the weight of the TA suits me fine.Thanks for your help.
The 700 is not as light as the 650 so try it and try the varadero, the fi bike I tried did not feel as heavy as the 700 and felt nicely balanced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 700TA is a good bike and comfortable for touring, no vibrations. The only downside is the numerous fuel stops due to the size of the tank. Could be a few litres larger!

cheers

GC

·
Registered
533 Posts
The 700TA is a good bike and comfortable for touring, no vibrations. The only downside is the numerous fuel stops due to the size of the tank. Could be a few litres larger!

cheers

GC
True, but 200 miles is possible on a tank and that is usually more than I can manage without a stretch. But, it would be nice, especially for those of us that use tank bags, to be able to not have to fill up at each stop, or even it would be nice to stop in the countryside, not another service station, so fair point.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I test rode both for a fair bit before buying the 700 which won on road based use as mentioned already - better front end, grip, low down power and motorway ability.

The 700 is a little bit more top heavy or at least it seems to be, but not like the Vara - I wouldve bought one but they are a little too tall by about 2 inches, though fairly well balanced - just dont like stoppin on tippy toes.

ALSO - Gold model?? Get em while you can - all 2010 models are in the new red tank/decals over white - if you see another colour - its a 2009 model pre-reg or old stock bought to sell at 5999 so make sure you get something with or off it!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Farky will take note what youve said.I must admit the more i look at the Vara the more i like it.Still not sure which way to go. Regards Marv.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Vara is begining to look a little dated, but it has been around long enough that it is about as reliable as a bike is going to get. Likely to be replaced in the next few years the new Vara might then take a few more years to reach this standard.

If you can afford one it would make a great tourer.

Farky is right about the colours, even though black is a 2010 colour there were none in the country when i went to buy one in april. Went for a used 09 in gold instead. A nearly new/pre reg gold should be less than £5900, it's last years model.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks dubhe just thinking about the pros and cons dont do lots of long distance touring only ever ride one up and have been so pleased with the TA 650 thought the best thing to do was to upgrade to the 700 decisions decisions!Thanks Marv.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had 4 Varaderos and they are brilliant. Streets ahead of these overpriced, over rated German thingys. I replaced my last 08 Vara with a 700 TA and it suits my purpose better because I seem to spend a lot of time in peat bogs and I can pull the TA out. The Vara is too heavy for that but very agile and torquey on tar. Horses for courses really. Get the bike that suits your needs at the time. :thumbup::cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts