Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have at last found my AT 750 i am waiting for it to be deliverd as its too far away so bought unseen (by the naked eye) just hope its all as good as the pictures !! When i can i will attach a few pics but it will arrive later today cant wait ,hope some of you will cast an eye over the pics and share some views ,it took some time but i am nearly there ..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hI ALL FINALLY GOT THE BIKE..... tried to take a look at some of the relevant things most importantly the out put shaft and though it shows signs of wear it was not a welded on front sprocket, no oil leaks from the shaft or gear selector ,though, the front sprocket retainer is finished, i cant see it doing anything if it was called into action... So i will order one befor i ride it .
Just a quick note how heavy is this bike? i had to go to the gym to find the strength to put it onto the center stand OMG this is by far the heaviest bike i have ever owned and i used to ride a cb 750 back in the day ..
cant seem to uploaad any pics but i will when i can ..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
get another piece of metal welded to the stand to act as a pivot or run it on a small piece of wood to get the back wheel higher. Hope you enjoying the bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep will i made an old superbike stand fit then i was able to use the center stand but it was an eye opener ,if i get a flat tyre i wont be able to lift the wheel of the floor myself with out some help but if the bike runs out of petrol i dont think i would like to push it either

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Mine is 242 kgs wet with current set up

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
a bloke showed me a trick on how to get his varadero 1000 on the center stand just hold the left handle bar and grab rail then stand up on the high stand down hard and up she comes . its a cleaver trick I don't know about Africa twin though I only have a transalp its a case of hold down stand with foot and pull on rear foot peg and handle bar together its a struggle to be honest and don't seem too secure up there so I tie off the front brake for safety sake . well wear with your new bike look into stefter front sprocket on hear :thumbright:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice ,i have had quite a few bikes over 35 odd years of riding but this one is still the heaviest .
I started taking bits off even the aftermarket chain guard is heavy ,so i am going to make one out of carbon fiber ,then i think i will change the car sized battery for a lithium type and so on i think you can see where i am going with this ..On a better note i am quite supprised for a bike of this age the design is really clever the battery for instance place in bowels of the beast centrally and of mid height very clever shows honda new what they were doing i was thinking id i get a smaller , lighter battery i would have enough room to move all the electrics into the tool box boot .

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its as clean as a whistle as they say crash bars top case panniers racks and all :cool: nice comfortable looking workshop for keeping it purring along nicely :thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
a bloke showed me a trick on how to get his varadero 1000 on the center stand just hold the left handle bar and grab rail then stand up on the high stand down hard and up she comes . its a cleaver trick I don't know about Africa twin though I only have a transalp its a case of hold down stand with foot and pull on rear foot peg and handle bar together its a struggle to be honest and don't seem too secure up there so I tie off the front brake for safety sake . well wear with your new bike look into stefter front sprocket on hear :thumbright:
The AT stand does not have anywhere to put your foot

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Wow! Very clean and shiny. Well done

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The AT stand does not have anywhere to put your foot
:D would you believe it I was just looking at the centre stand and its just like on the Transalp 600 and don't have the extension / leaver type set up that the varadero 1000 does . I had a air cooled shaft drive Kawasaki 1100 years ago . it was hearth attack inducing to try and get it on the centre stand it had a very cool feature where you could lock the centre stand making it harder to steal or fools to knock it over . as a nipper I went to a hurling match and a bloke I knew went to see it on his Yamaha 350 R5 . it had no side stand and some asshole came along and took it off the centre stand and ****ed off leaving me holding it . lucky enough another older bloke with a liking for bikes came along late to the match and came over to admire the bike on his way past and got it back on the stand for me . I really hate bastards who think they are smart . it was a really shitty thing to do I was so young I had enough to do to keep it held upright . it this stage of the game now I wouldn't even like to own a bike with no centre stand or top box .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It really is as clean as a whistle i have my doubts about the shock but i have nothing to know if i am correct feels a little light !(spongy) the front sprocket retainer should be here soon .The back and side luggage scaffolding is going to be gone so if anyone wants to make an offer for it let me know i will be selling when i am ready with a replacement ,,,......I also started to make the chain guard form some carbon i have hope it turns out ok i will post a pic when poss .Thanks for the help appreciate it ..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very nice one!
You know your stuff but watch out. ATs do not like too tight chains (that bugger the output shaft). Plenty of literature here. Advised slack is 7cm even more than the Honda advised 4.5.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
first thing i checked and it was too tight and adjusted un even at the cams (idiots) new chain front sprocket retainer well worn and the chain too tight and the cams set at different angles .There are numbers on each side tight ok but come on ..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A silly question i am sure but here goes.. The rear indicators, i have a set which are mounted to the frame of the luggage rack which are not standard ,seeing as i am removing the rack i must get the standard indicators.
My question is i dont seem to have a mount.there two holes one either side but they seem to be to high i only looked quick but it looks like the plastic of the mudhuard would not allow it to be mounted it would be obstructing the indicator ,am i missing a part ? Or will the indicator actually fit .

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 2001 was tricky to get on the stand too, but the RD03 pops right up there. :hitler:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got the pannier frame off the bike ,made and fitted some indicator holders ,bought a new back box standard grab rail (plate )also got some brake line wraps as they are un coverd and are rubbing nomarks as yet but i thought get them coverd sooner rather than later .Repaired the rear passenger footpeg holder still undecided about removing the webbing .
The bike came with a renegade exhaust but i am toying with making a carbon one from it idle hands

1 - 18 of 18 Posts