Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

With winter banging on the doorstep, it's time for me to consider some new boots.

A recent email from the born again (in the UK) Hein Gericke is offering the HG Rallye 3 GTX boots with 30% off at £153, which I quite like the look of. Does anyone have these boots? Can you tell me if they're any good and how the sizing comes up (did you need a size bigger or smaller?).

Also, any other boot recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune as these boots get worn for work, but I do want a waterproof all season boot.

Your opinions please!

Bob :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
They are the same as the XCR boots and are the best. Waterproof, stiff at first but sublimely comfy after you've worn them in.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Can't fault my TCX Infinitys...been stood in 'em in a stream up to the tops and not a drop got in:thumbright: Comfy too...

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Folks

With winter banging on the doorstep, it's time for me to consider some new boots.

A recent email from the born again (in the UK) Hein Gericke is offering the HG Rallye 3 GTX boots with 30% off at £153, which I quite like the look of. Does anyone have these boots? Can you tell me if they're any good and how the sizing comes up (did you need a size bigger or smaller?).

Also, any other boot recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune as these boots get worn for work, but I do want a waterproof all season boot.

Your opinions please!

They are reputedly made in the same factory as the TCX infinities and apart from the buckles being metal as opposed to nylon and the sole pattern being different (a bit less chunky) they look exactly the same. I have the TCXs and they are fab. They took a bit of breaking in but after a few hours / days they became all day comfy. I've walked miles in them without problems. Dry enough to wade through fords and warm enough for winter riding. I was out training this weekend with a temp between 2 and 6 degrees and even at speed they were toasty warm with just a pair of thin socks underneath.

When I bought the TCXs it came down to price. Had the Gericke ones been cheaper I would have bought them. Also have a look at the BMW range. They also have an identical boot. I think J has them.

Either way they all come highly recommended

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've got the HG Rallye boots. 5 years old and well broken in. All day comfort. Waterproof. No issues with clips or sizing:thumbup:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Derek (palerider) recently asked me about some boots as he wanted some new ones, I recommended these Bullson Cycko III Boots, black - Boots because I've used a pair for years now (the same pair) and they have never leaked and are a doddle to get on/off (if your in a tent etc) as there are no zips.

They were £100 when I got them and Derek paid £110 but it looks like they have them on offer at a very good price.

The reason I tried these is that I walked in HG in Darlington and said I'm sick of boots leaking and feet being cold etc, what have you got and I don't care about price. Now the guy could have sold me a £250 pair of boots but he said he'd never had anyone complain who have bought these, and showed me those in the link.

Just my 2p :thumb:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
For good value boots, try your local work wear suppliers (arco, screwfix etc) you'll get quality, good sturdy waterproof boots with long life grippy soles, for less than 80quid.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Folks

Your opinions please!

Hi Bob
I had them now for the last 8 years or so. They are absolutely brilliant. 100% waterproof and comfy. Also fairly warm in winter. Keep the receipt as I think Gortex gives you a 5year warranty . So if they are worn through and start leaking after 2 years of daily use you just exchange them for new ones

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Another happy HG rally boot wearer here as well :thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I have the BMW Santiago's same as the HG models but have BMW badge on the toe, so when you kick people they get stamped with the BMW mark. Good boot waterproof been off roading in proper wetness with them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bullson Sheltex from Heine Gericke are around £80, reliably waterproof even in the most horrendous rain, and very comfortable.

I've used them for 5 years now, the tread wears out quicker than the boot with daily wear, but I got 3 years out of my first pair before replacing them.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have the Oxtars which became TCX gore-tex boots and they are superbly warm, never leaked but never again will i buy a pair of these sport style touring boots as the plastic squeaking just drives you up the wall everytme you walk anywhere in them, nothing stops it and i can't think of any more potion or lotions i haven't tried to cure it.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have had the Oxtars for 6 years now and they are still like new

All day comfy, warm and waterproof (they scored a 9/10 in a recent test in ABR)

I use Renepur (don't have any squeaking noises)

Offroad they offer more protection than most touring boots but not as much as a full on MX boot. The sole could benefit from a better tread pattern in slippy mud

Otherwise I would have another pair tomorrow if I had to buy again

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Dissenting voice here....I had a pair of the HG Tuareg Rallye boots and didn't like them at all, I have still got them as a spare pair. I wore them for 2-3 years and they never got comfortable (and still aren't) and I also found them cold. I bought a new pair of boots when the stitching across the instep on both boots started to come apart. I ought to have taken them back but as these we're already a warranty replacement for another pair of Goretex lined boots (Oxtars) I decided to try something else -Altbergs.

Maybe I just had a bad pair.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have had the Oxtars for 6 years now and they are still like new

All day comfy, warm and waterproof (they scored a 9/10 in a recent test in ABR)

I use Renepur (don't have any squeaking noises)

Offroad they offer more protection than most touring boots but not as much as a full on MX boot. The sole could benefit from a better tread pattern in slippy mud

Otherwise I would have another pair tomorrow if I had to buy again
My oxtrs are gore-tex and don't need waterproofing but for offroading comps i have a pair Alpinestars Tech 7 which are faultless but you can't bend your ankle in them for obvious reasons, for trials and green laning i have the Diadora stone 3 with the gore-tex boot liner which again are a fantastic boot

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've got an Oxtar(one!) too, and it's exactly thew same as the other TCX I've got apart from the logo...which is how I got them so cheap:D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got TCX Infinitys.

Made in Romania and aparently made to Italian design and supposed to be the dogs.

So far 100% waterproof and haven't coated them in anything. Very comfy out of the box. Warm. I'm not too keen on the clips as these tend to move when doing up, so you have to hold them in place when doing them up so they are in the right position. I don't get any squeeks and you can walk all day in them. I've seen them advertised for £180 in ABR mag, I paid £220 for mine... Worth every penny.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
My oxtrs are gore-tex and don't need waterproofing but for offroading comps i have a pair Alpinestars Tech 7 which are faultless but you can't bend your ankle in them for obvious reasons, for trials and green laning i have the Diadora stone 3 with the gore-tex boot liner which again are a fantastic boot
Mine are Goretex too

I use the Renepur to preserve the leather

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Mine are Goretex too

I use the Renepur to preserve the leather
Never needed to do that, i just wash them with soapy water when they get shi88ed up leave them to dry. The leather has stayed soft and subtle but irritatingly squeaky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts