Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced (with Haynes) all original brake pads & discs (F&R) and fluid, and now the front still jams slightly (!) even after driving now 200km...the discs are not very warm, so it's not too bad but a bit difficult when you have to push her by hand/feet...It was all perfect with the old pads & discs (with the only difference that the pistons must have stuck out much more than now, the discs were down to 3.3mm).

A little whack against the callipers helps until I use the front brake again. They just don't move back 100% by themselves.

I took the pads all out again, cleaned the sides of the pistons after pushing them out slighly (+-5mm) and they looked not too bad I'd say (no salt on South African roads). I also cleaned/polished these springs/retainers, guide bolts of the calippers/brackets.

What kind of grease do you put on the guide bolts of the brackets? Which grease is silicon based? Any alternatives?

What am I doing wrong, what are the typical mistakes one can do, some tweaking here and there? Do I really need new pistons & seals etc??

It's an RD07, 1993, now 103000km.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If the caliper sliders are fine then it sounds like the caliper pistons are sticking. Often, stripping the caliper and cleaning the pistons, the seals, and the grooves they sit in is enough to free it up again without needing new parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the caliper sliders are fine then it sounds like the caliper pistons are sticking. Often, stripping the caliper and cleaning the pistons, the seals, and the grooves they sit in is enough to free it up again without needing new parts.
Thanks Alan, this did the job, so thanks!! I pushed out the pistons so far that they would not quite pop out yet and found some more dirt and all sticking on them. Emeraleded & copper slipped them and now it feels like new, not like a brake with two distinctive "break points" when pressing the lever...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found another problem of my sticky hand brake callipers since this problem became apparent again...yes, I did emerald + copperslip them..but I didn't think of possibly lubricating the brake lever itself and where it touches the piston in the reservoir...! I put some MoS2 on it...

Now my brakes go nice and smoothly, without a 2-point stop-feeling if you know what I mean...:blob:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts