Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I got myself a 1996 Domi for the Winter a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's my first big single, my other bike is a Yamaha FZS600 and I've only owned multi cylinder bikes until now. There's something great about the roar it makes when you give it some welly though, it just begs to be flogged down twisty roads.

I've fitted Heidenau K60 Scout tyres as I want to use it in all but the worst conditions and the Tourance that were on gave a few slides on wet, cold roads. They had plenty of life left but didn't inspire any confidence. The Scouts are fantastic, I can heartily recommend them to anyone who rides through the Winter. Heated grips are going on this weekend, can't wait to give them a try.

Anyway, enough rambling on, here's a picture of my new toy.

I've no doubt I'll be back soon with all sorts of questions, hopefully not all of them silly.

Edit: Sorry the picture is there twice, no idea why it's done that.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum, all kinds of nice people on here all with more knowledge about Dommies than you can shake a stick at
looks a good honest Dommie m8 enjoy
I ride mine 20 miles a day through back roads helps me to calm down on the way home

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Greetings from Denmark and congrats on your new toy.
My first tip to you as a dommie owner is to figure out how to measure your oil level and keep a regular eye on it because these bikes can get thirsty when you give it some stick on the twisty roads.
How many km has it done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone, very nice to be here. There's actually a good story behind me buying this bike but I'll save that for a rainy day.

Got the heated grips fitted today, no problems at all. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes to test them and they were nice and toasty, almost makes me hope it's cold on Monday morning. I do about 20 miles each way, it'll sure be nice to get to work with warm hands.

How many km has it done?
About 33,500km. I changed the tyres at around 33,300 and have filled up once since. I'll be sure to keep an exe on the oil, thanks for the tip.

I'm still finding out it's little quirks, it's a very different beast to the Fazer. It's stalled a few times when pulling up at junctions, I may have to get the carb off and give everything a good clean. I haven't been able to check the valve clearance as the covers are very tight and I don't want to push my luck and wreck them. I'm wondering if trying with a hot engine may work. Loosen them, let it cool overnight and check clearances in the morning.

Damn, I'm itching to jump on it now and go for a blast. Shame it's nearly 10:30 at night and pitch dark.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mainzman:thumbup:
Must say i did a double take when i saw your forum name:D Where in Mainz are you from? My grandma and a large part of my mums side come from Kostheim and i grew up just aoutside Mainz in Heidesheim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Vader.

When I first moved here, just over 10 years ago, I lived in Mainz-Kastel for a year before moving into Mainz itself. I was only there for about another year before moving into the Rheingau. I now live fairly close to Rüdesheim. The godfather of our 2 year old son lives in Heidesheim.

I was signing up for something, I think Harmony Central, one day and the name just came to me. I've used it for all sorts of online games and things since then.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Hey Vader.

When I first moved here, just over 10 years ago, I lived in Mainz-Kastel for a year before moving into Mainz itself. I was only there for about another year before moving into the Rheingau. I now live fairly close to Rüdesheim. The godfather of our 2 year old son lives in Heidesheim.

I was signing up for something, I think Harmony Central, one day and the name just came to me. I've used it for all sorts of online games and things since then.
Wow what a small world. Would you mind telling me the name of your child's godfather? (Maybe pm? ) if he is originally from He ides heim I am sure I will know him and he me :toothy10:
It's just so nice having somebody on the forum which at least occasionally knows what I am on about :toothy10:

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may seem like a really stupid question, but I'm asking anyway? How do you identify the size of carb jets? I can't see anything stamped on the jets...... Are my eyes that bad?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow what a small world. Would you mind telling me the name of your child's godfather? (Maybe pm? ) if he is originally from Heidesheim I am sure I will know him and he me
Sorry for the delay replying Vader. Jens hasn't lived there very long, only a few years so unlikely you'll know him.

It's snowing slightly here tonight :sad7: Looks like the Scouts will get their first proper test tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, welcome to dommies ! Fantastic fun. Will re-indorse what others have said - pay particular attention to oil levels as they do eat oil for breakfast!. Also when time comes to clean oil strainer in bottom of front down tube (these are dry sump engines) be very very careful you don't twist the braided feed hose in the bottom connection when you Tighten the connection nut. I didnt and the result was £300 top end rebuild (new cam shaft and valves) twice ,!! As the rubber hose inside the braided steel outer was twisted and cut off the oil supply. All else is bullet proof though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts