Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Motosport XL250 K1
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just bought a 1999 Dominator. Unfortunatley due to an injury sustained just hours before I picked the bike up I have not been able to ride it since I put it in the shed. I was quite pleased with the performance of the bike on the 50 mile ride home but was quite surprised by the lack of what I would call plonkerbility. She certainly likes the revs to be kept up. I own the great grandaddy of the NX, a K1 XL250 Motosport (silver tank) which I have owned from new (1974) and up until last summer was still on the road. It is currently dry stored awaiting restoration as it is a bit battered. This will pull without drama from 1000 rpm and will rev well past the marked red line at 8k. Maybe the Yoshimura half race cam helps here. :D

The previous owner of the Dominator has had the noisy bits of the alarm/immobiliser muted and I was wondering if anybody has any experience of the Datatool 433 alarm. I have located the box of tricks and if I listen while the alarm is flashing the lights I can hear a very faint siren noise. I suspect that the siren has been wrapped in some sound proofing but would the system be connected to the bike horn? If so which wires? When I am able to get the bike out so that I can get into the air box and then to the nuts holding the box down I will be able to open it up to see what is inside. Any help with resolving this would be good as I don't see the point in having a silent alarm.

P.S. I live in South Wales so be warned and I do know Paul Lear some of the best rides I ever had were with his father Mac.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
You certainly need to keep the revs up. Start from anything less than 3,000 and acceleration is a clunky affair.

If you find it dies on you at random traffic lights and stop signs, don't worry. It could be due to any number of reasons and there are several threads on the subject on this forum!

G

·
Welcome matey:D Where abouts in S Wales are you?? Live down there myself.
Can't help with the alarm problem I'm sorry, but can confirm that the Dommie motor doesn't like low revs:( I blame the short stroke and lack of sizeable fly wheel plus having to swing a balancer shaft as well. That said, if you keep 'em in da zone they are a sweet little motor and 'll chug along quite happy with little vibes below 5.5/6k:D
Enjoy yer bike and hope to see you on the road soon:salute:

·
Motosport XL250 K1
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally managed to get the bike out of the shed on Thursday. Managed to fix the alarm. Turns out that the 2 white wires that are soldered to the noisy bits in the box lid were un-attached. Soldered them back on and hey presto it works. Changed the speedo cable as the speedo is not working. The old one was not broken so more investigation needed. Just managed to get a second key cut and have found a second alarm remote, so I will have to get that tuned in now. Other routine stuff to follow.
Gonna try and take a ride out tomorrow as long as the leg hold out.

Have fun and keep happy
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts