Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been up A LOT....but anyway: A lot of people could wish fore some more ooomph in the @, and we all know there is not a lot more to get out of the orignial engine.
After reading about "the perfect adventure bike" and engine swaps on the ADV-forum I started to think about this again.

The AT still is one of the best alternatives, imo, and most things like suspension and seat etc can be upgraded to our wishes.
But some morepower would have been.....FUN! (And good for two up.)

There has been quite a few new engines built since the @ was discontinued. What could be made to fit?

I´m not thinking straight or cheap fit, ´cause i don´t think that exists. But are there any newer engine with about the same size AND more power that could be made to fit?

Let´s daydream a little......:rolleyes:

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
vfr 800... it think with a bit of jiggery pokery that could be made to fit...

then [email protected] would be awesome..

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's a couple of guys on the Hawk GT (American Honda Bros) forum who are putting RSVR engines into Bros's/Hawks. The RSVR is physically smaller than a VTR1000 and more powerful, now there's a thought, not to mention how interesting it would make it to ride (read "scary*)

Joe

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Turbocharging?

I think it would be a lot cheaper and easier to convert the AT engine to turbocharging than to swap engines.

There are also many aftermarket fuelinjection systems that could be adopted. Get rid of the carbs and gain HP and lower fuel consumption.

However, if you take a bog standard AT, and change the suspension for an stronger and better upsidedown fork, change the brakes to stronger variants, and make the engine deliver substantional more power, you will in the end have something very similary to an KTM 950 Adventure...

But then again, an altered and souped up AT will always attract a lot of attention from AT fans. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you probably can gather from my question, I´m not at all into enginering or mecanics. But what if we look at other options than Honda?

What I would like would be something like 80 hp, good torque, more power in the low revs than in the upper area, a higher six´th gear, a lower first gear, reasonable milage and a good reliable v-twin engine, And I guess we´re limeted to, say 800-800 ccm because of space. To much power would probably get us into trouble with the rest of the drive-line....??

Did a search and found out that 90 degrees w-twins like the Varadero or V-strom will be to large, and would mean making the frame longer or moving the engine forward. So no option there....

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's why I mentioned the Aprillia RSVR motor as for a 1000cc lump it's very compact and a lot smaller than the VTR1000 engine. I think it's a 60 or 65 degree V2.

Joe

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's why I mentioned the Aprillia RSVR motor as for a 1000cc lump it's very compact and a lot smaller than the VTR1000 engine. I think it's a 60 or 65 degree V2.

Joe
Rotax X990 motor is the Aprilia v its a 60 and dry sump.... nice motor and is in its mild caponord tuning would be ideal also used the segam? ECU so tune boy software works on it :)...... dream :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm.....did a search on the Rotax 990. Ended up wanting a Caponord.....bugger! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hm.....did a search on the Rotax 990. Ended up wanting a Caponord.....bugger! :rolleyes:

Yup I nearly bought one a few years back alp on steroids:D

nice bikes very underrated

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I looked at that black one in Willie Young motorcycles and was taken to one side and told "don't, it's sh*te! Feckin Aprillia, don't touch it!"
@T with a VTR engine? That's just a Varadero. Agreed, a good bike. Nothin out there that appeals to me that much, I'm not really a BMW fan so no 1200 for me, I'd rather the 800 personally but would prefer a Honda really.
In all honesty I love my Varadero and wouldn't want to change it this yr so plenty of time to have a look around.
I loved my @T, but better seat, more power and a six speed box would have made it a better bike, the Vara comes closest to that criteria for me.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
stick that x990 in an @ mmmmmmmm:angel2::angel2::angel2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would have always liked a lot more grunt and maybe another 10 bhp from the AT but the existing engine is tight enough in the frame so there's not much room to play with. Basically a 90 degree V-twin isn't going to fit, it needs a narrow angle V-twin, the current engine is only 52.5 degree, and is fairly short as its only single OHC.

Just maybe a narrow angle short stroke V-four would fit, but I think it would upset the balance of the bike off-road due to the greater engine width and also wouldn't have any bottom end grunt which you really need if you are ever going to use it off-road.

The basic engine design used in the AT has appeared as a 500, 600, 650, 680, and 800 (Pacific Coast) and two 750's, the AT and the Shadow. The Shadow has the same bore diameter as all versions of the Transalp and gets its 750 capacity from a long stroke crank. The AT is the odd one out as it has the biggest bore of any of the engine derivatives.

I've no idea of the practicality of this, but if the long stroke crank from a Shadow could be used, probably with Shadow barrels bored out to take AT pistons, and AT heads, you'd get something like an 840 cc engine, only a few MM taller, but most importantly, with the longer stroke you should get a lot more low down grunt plus a few extra BHP. Just dreaming really, but if I could afford to butcher a couple of engines I'd love to give it a try.

Attached is a picture of another engine with most of the attributes for a good long distance adventure bike, pictured between Douenza and Timbuctu in Mali. Only 65 bhp but all the grunt you could ask for and amazing traction in soft sand, plus would cruise happily all day at 80+.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts