Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking long and hard, I have decided on getting a Magellan Meridian Gold GPS.

The price of these units seem to vairy, but the retail proce seems to be about £250.
www.Pricerinner.co.uk list their best price as £238 where as Touratech (I know they modify their units for bikes) list it as over £300.

On Ebay, I found a company selling UK Spec Units for £189.99 With Next Day delivery.

The Meridian Gold seems perfect. Large enough to use on the bike, waterproof, upgradeable with Contour maps as well as road maps via SD Cards. Comes with a EU Basemap (Major roads), but using SD Cards, more detail can be loaded for areas of interest / destinations.
I can also import Marine Maps for use at Sea.

I looked at the Platinum, but I dont need a barometer, and the colour model I cannot justify the extra money.

Touratech Mount on order too, and im building a power distribution block for the bike to run the Sat Nav, AutoCom, Walkie Talkie, AirBed etc.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Hi, that sounds good, do you have any link's to their site and photo's.

I'm considering a GPS, it's a pain being unsure where you are on a bike.

Does anyone know of a GPS unit where you can program (simply!) in a specific route to a destination, i.e. a preferred bike route instead of motorways etc!
Not had much to do with these things.

Phil

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGELLAN-MERI...5815239043QQcategoryZ4668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the ebay auction lists 10 for sale, but I just called them up and ordered over the phone.

loads of Photo's on the ebay site, plus the advert has lots of infomation, and manufacurers spec's

I notice that to get maximum functionality I need to buy the City Maps plus the geological contours maps... another £200 for both sets.

If anyone else has this software and would like to trade.. or if anyone is thinking of buying a Magellan Meridian ... We should get together :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just Wondering

Are Magellan GPS receivers popular in the UK and mainland Europe?

Here in the States, Garmin GPS units and mapping software appear to be the most popular and readily available.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Garmin still are Number 1, but Magellan have the high end GPS stuff .. Boats etc catered for. Some people critisise Magellan for being too big for true "handheld" devices, but The ones I have been looking at, and the reviews I have read.. they seem equally as good, and have just as many useful features.

Incidently, Watching CNN A few months ago, when some British Marines were arrested for straying into Iranian waters on a RIB .. the news cast showed this British Marine Commando with a Magellan Sport Track Pro in his Webbing.
Meridian also offer streetmap detail of Iraq and Afganistan too for UK and US forces.

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
I've been playing with handheld GPS units for about 12 years and started out with Magellan kit (Remember the GPS10 which was the size of house brick and weighed as much ?), but in those days Magellan low-end kit was a bit naughty by not complying properly with NMEA protocol. Since I was trying to get it to drive computers I gave up and switched to Garmin, which I love.

I currently own an old Garmin 45X and a Streetpilot, but to be honest they're cr*p compared with my Ipac running Tomtom5 - which is terrific in the car but no way is it going near my bike !

My 'cunning plan' is that I'm going to do some overtime and then buy the Tomtom Rider when it comes out, because I just love their software. I think the idea of having a bluetooth headset to listen to the instructions is great for the sort of riding I do. It isn't cheap, but I can get round that by working my nuts off :( .

I guess it really depends on how much detail you need. - If you're on a trail and you just want to see how to get to the next main road, a cheapie GPS will probably do for you. What I want is street level navigation across the country, and naturally enough that costs.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
PM me your address, I'll see what I can do regarding Mapsend directRoute (unsophisticated autorouting software, but it does get you there!)

I have a Meridian Colour which I've been using for about two years now and I think it's GREAT!

Make sure you hard wire it to the bikes batteries, there is a well known problem with vibration and the battery connections.

Cheers
-Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts