Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. New and want to say hello.
I've had an '89 Transalp for 8 years. Great bike. 18k miles now. Originally purchased in Fargo ND. I just got an '88 nx650 a couple weeks ago near Seattle. It's been sitting in garage under a tarp since '94. 2500 miles. Both bikes are very stock. I am having a blast cleaning up the nx and getting it road worthy. I haven't even heard it run yet. Waiting for a CDI in the mail from Service Honda. Can't get the carb off. That's a tough bottom bolt on the carb insulator (hard rubber collar that connects to cylinder head from carb). Top 2 hex head bolts were easy, but I mashed up bottom one. Can you get the carb out without the insulator with it? If not, thought maybe I'd cut the insulator and take the carb out, getting more room to get at the bolt. I suppose it would help to have a warm engine too. I will have to see how it runs once new CDI goes in. No spark and multimeter makes me think the CDI will do it. Thought about trying a good CDI from the Transalp, but didn't know if I might screw up something. The CDI's are different sizes and part numbers.
Crossing my fingers the new cdi will do it. Probably needs some carb work too - would like to do jets and needle mods anyway, so it is not so lean.
Clutch plates are very sticky, but I can free them with some rockin' & roll'n.
Long enough intro... I will keep in touch & post pics once I figure that out.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It seems you have a lot of labour to get that bike sorted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts