Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has brought out a retro-classic VT750S with a new liquid-cooled, V-twin of 745cc. Could that engine form the basis of a new adventure bike?

The motor has Honda’s latest PGM-FI fuel-injection system that Honda claims gives economy and low emissions. But in keeping with the classic styling, the V-twin features finned barrels for that ‘air-cooled’ look. Honda says the motor was designed to give optimum performance in the low to mid-section of the rev-range.

Does this mean Honda has a new 750 engine that could fit in other bikes? "I am currently not aware of this engine being used in any other (new) bikes, sorry," was the answer.

So over to you, without the chrome, could it be used? Would it be any good?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I cannot see any reason that the engine could not be used in an adventure bike.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
My immediate suspicions are that the engine is actually from the same family of V twins that power the AT and TA.

52 degree V twin
6 valves
5 gears
745cc (up from the RD07A's 742)
Exhausts exiting the heads on the right hand side.
Uses same spark plug

So it's potentially an Africa Twin engine with fuel injection I'd say, but Honda do claim 68.9mpg.

Even the black engine casing looks vaguely familiar. Pull all that chrome off and I'd bet it would slip straight into a AT or TA frame.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Surely a 750 is a bit too close capacity-wise to the current TA700 ? Given the next Vara is looking like it will use the new 1200cc engine, and given the existance of the GS800, would you really go with a 750?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new proper AT, just suspect this isn't the engine for it.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i dont see why not, but i also cant really see why?

they already got the TA700, theres no business sense in making another adv bike. they should think about a hardcore off the shelf travellers TA with RTW bells and whistles, big tank, chunky armour, decent luggage, like yam have with the 660Z, that sells well?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Maybe in the future there will be a TA750 to replace the 700, after the launch of the 1200 Vara.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
i dont see why not, but i also cant really see why?

they already got the TA700, theres no business sense in making another adv bike. they should think about a hardcore off the shelf travellers TA with RTW bells and whistles, big tank, chunky armour, decent luggage, like yam have with the 660Z, that sells well?

Well, the Africa Twin and Transalp were in the Honda model line up at the same time. No reason why there shouldn't be a "hard core" adventure model alongside the current Transalp.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
shaft or chain?

had the opportunity to ride the my TA AT and My XLV lately and the AT is defo an XLV in a TA skin :teeth:. shame the shaft did not come over in the deal :rolleyes:

on where does the AT wirr wirr come from? the alp dont do it, and the XLV definatly not :teeth:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
It would be interesting to investigate if the PGM-FI fuel-injection system would fit an Africa Twin.

I'm sure it could easily be done Kjell.

The hardest part would be incorporating the high pressure FI pump, but the AT has such a huge tank, airbox, and carbs, that I'm sure there would be loads of space to fit it all. The FI pump is usually in the tank, so even with a bit of metal work and an obvious reduction in tank capacity, the improved economy should still see greater tank range I bet.

If I hadn't hit my current lean patch on work and money, I'd already decided to make a project out of my RD03 and fit the 700 fuel injected lump, along with the associated loom and CDI etc The only problem I'd anticiapted was if all the newer bikes had ABS, which I didn't bother investigating when the alarm bells on my bank account started ringing!!!

Fitting new running gear to the original outline of an AT would definitely make it a "Modern-Classic"

:thumbup:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
they've bought out a new bike... gone to the trouble of fuel injection etc... & fitted a DRUM BRAKE at the back?

I would be inclined to suggest they should lay off the hard drugs...

aut apart from that, it seems like a good excuse to re launcha new affy twin, without turning it into a "vade retro"

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Looks almost exactly like an 883 Sportster! With regards to the engine, as has been said before, with the latest craze of making the bigger bikes 1200's and the Transalp having a 700 motor, they would need to bore it out to at least an 800 for their "middlewieght" adventure bike.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Honda has brought out a retro-classic VT750S with a new liquid-cooled, V-twin of 745cc. Could that engine form the basis of a new adventure bike?

The motor has Honda’s latest PGM-FI fuel-injection system that Honda claims gives economy and low emissions. But in keeping with the classic styling, the V-twin features finned barrels for that ‘air-cooled’ look. Honda says the motor was designed to give optimum performance in the low to mid-section of the rev-range.

Does this mean Honda has a new 750 engine that could fit in other bikes? "I am currently not aware of this engine being used in any other (new) bikes, sorry," was the answer.

So over to you, without the chrome, could it be used? Would it be any good?

I saw a bike almost identical to this except the exhausts was on the other side,
I only saw it as I was passing it so did'nt get a good look ,so who makes one thats like this (MotoGuzzi)? It did sound very nice :cool:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Was in a Honda dealer today, and its a nicer alternative to a sportster, apparently its a Dullville engine though so nothing new

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Always good to have alternative engine options; if only there were bikes that shared the AT plastics - mine has been back on the road for over a year and the plastics are still off, they are cracked, scuffed, and look awful.

I'm looking for more, but my bike is silver, and an AT, so rarer than rocking horse droppings! Typical... :rolleyes:

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Was in a Honda dealer today, and its a nicer alternative to a sportster
Hmmm, I'm not so sure. It looks nice enough, but it feels so..... plasticy. It cost the same as the Harley, but it has chain drive, when all the competition have belt or shaft drive. I personally think Honda have fished here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts