Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda UK has confirmed it expects a new adventure bike to be part of it 2011 range, with details expected later this year. But it won’t be a new Africa Twin.

Honda could not say if it will be the Varadero with Honda’s new V4 engine.

“There will be some form of new adventure bike. We’re still waiting to know what we are having for our year 2010 models. We’ll be launching them at the Milan show,” Honda told xrv.org.uk.

Contacting owners’ groups
Honda also said it hoped to improve contacts with owners groups, such as xrv-org.uk and would be contacting site owner Dave Slater shortly.

Finance deals
Honda has announced a 0% finance on a range of bike, but none of its adventure range. These include the CBR1000RR Fireblade and CBR600RR, the naked CB1000R and CB600F Hornet. And the scooter range PS125i, SH125i, S-Wing and SH300i.

Honda denied having to offer 0% finance because these brands were not selling well.

Links (new windows)
Honda finance deals

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just checking the calendar... nope, it's not 1 April.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No surprise really.

Honda have proven their technological prowess time and again, but they've never been one for going out on a limb...

All the others are doing BIIIIG adv bikes hence, so will Honda....:(

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Contacting owners’ groups
Honda also said it hoped to improve contacts with owners groups, such as xrv-org.uk and would be contacting site owner Dave Slater shortly.
I will believe this when I hear it.... dealers get naf all assistance and they sell the things. I know BMW do nothiing to support its dealers outside of what they directly do and it costs a dealer to participate but Honda take this to another level. If it wasnt for the Honda engine being good and the BMW quality being questionable (and my local dealer Q too), I wouldnt buy another Honda. For the first time ever...Yamaha have something to offer.. just wonder what they will do for us all.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checking the calendar... nope, it's not 1 April.
Phoned and left a message three days ago. I called again after the finance deal press release. You never know.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It cannot be called a twin if it uses the V4 engine, but will it be a replacement for the XL1000 Varadero, or will it be another model?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Phoned and left a message three days ago. I called again after the finance deal press release. You never know.
Who has a track record of April Fool tricks that sound like this? Honda or a certain Mr Wheal?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who has a track record of April Fool tricks that sound like this? Honda or a certain Mr Wheal?
Not an April fool (much too late). Hoping to line up an interview with Someone form Honda when they know more.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
It cannot be called a twin if it uses the V4 engine, but will it be a replacement for the XL1000 Varadero, or will it be another model?
Africa Twin-Twin or Africa Quad!

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
I hope it's not a Varadero with a V4 engine - far too heavy. I think BMW have got it right with the 800.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I hope it's not a Varadero with a V4 engine - far too heavy. I think BMW have got it right with the 800.
True: the old VRF800 lump could be recycled (as Honda seem to do a lot).

However, a V4 is still a very road biased format, so would it be another trail style bike, or a serious attempt at a bona fide Dual Sport bike à la GS800, Téneré single...

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote from Honda:

"I'm looking to really progress and strengthen our relationships with owners clubs and bike clubs generally this coming year and at some point I will be holding an event at our Honda Institute near Heathrow, in order to meet everyone and get to know you better, and for you to pose questions to us as a management team and get to know and understand Honda more."

So start thinking of your questions. DaveS and I will try to be there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
So start thinking of your questions.
Great idea and great networking!! But, you may regret saying that!!

The first to spring to mind...

1. Motorcycles used to be the "poor man's" car, but are now the "rich man's" toy, as they are often more expensive to buy and run than some cars. When will Honda start to consider real world factors into their bikes such as economy and tank range to help keep motorcycling as a viable transport option now and in the years to come?
  2. When are features such as alarms, immobilisers and other security features going to be a part of the standard equipment on bikes?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So start thinking of your questions.
1.Why the trend for bigger and bigger?
2.Would it not make more sense to build a lighter bike with the same power to weight ratio?
3 Why do the fuel tank sizes keep getting smaller?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I want no fuel injection, no immobilisors, no HISS key system. I'd like a bike that's easy to maintain at home. If it's trailable then it can be dropped without costing a small fortune. I want a large fuel tank, even if it hurts my wallet to fill it up at present. I want a small fairing to keep the worst of the weather off.

I basically want the same bike I've got now, but newer, with a comfier seat and wheels that won't fall apart.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Big red pig with 4000 mile service and electric start, rally fairing and 20 lit tank in plastic. Now that will do nicely:D

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Big red pig with 4000 mile service and electric start, rally fairing and 20 lit tank in plastic. Now that will do nicely:D

"Phil" It would be no good for you your legs are to short:D:D:D Just think of the Meardy bog :D:D:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My thoughts:

V4 in a Varadero or an easy to maintain V-twin 800 in a transalp (oh hell call it an Africa Twin)? Go for the 800, I say.

The BMW 800GS does 65 mpg. Petrol prices are going one way and one way only, so this is to be important. The V4 is not the solution.

Other things I'd personally like to see:

Adjustable rear suspension that can cope with two-up and luggage. Hagon make one for the @ for £350. Fit is or something even better, as standard - or at least an option

Brakes and wheels not made from cottage cheese. Steel hoses.

All spares space available as storage (rear plastics are just ornamental). We need tools, tyre irons, spare tubes - all secreted away. These are adventure bikes.

Carbon fibre not plastic and metal. Light and strong. Decent Alu bark buster with large wind-protecting guards - not requiring Acerbis add-ons.

Better brakes, better forks, a speedo either not made from nylon or priced at less than £2.50 and a spare issued with the new bike.

Twin round headlights (they simply look the best).

I could probably go n for ever. Much lighter, capable of 100 mph two-up with luggage, tent and BBQ on board yet easy to throw around itnhe mud and pick up when dropped.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts