Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else seen this new app from bestbikingroads.com?

They have a great database of biking roads along with a decent roadmap planner where you can link up all these recommended roads with your start and finish destinations.

The new app allows you to browse the routes only but it seems good and has the facility to add new routes also...havent tried it in full yet but looks good - £2.39 I think...well worth it imo.

BestBikingRoads iPhone Motorcycle Routes

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've squandered my £2.39 and it seems pretty good, the sort of thing to look at in a cafe over a brew whilst wondering where to go next.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
more iphone snobbery:rolleyes:

dont have one, dont need one, dont want one, dont want to join the middle aged kids at work having pretend swordfights with lightsaber sound effects, thankyou. bestbikingroads is a good site though

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
more iphone snobbery:rolleyes:

dont have one, dont need one, dont want one, dont want to join the middle aged kids at work having pretend swordfights with lightsaber sound effects, thankyou. bestbikingroads is a good site though
Agreed...... although I'd like a smartphone for "outdoors" web access, GPS etc, I don't want to aid and abet Apple in their quest for world domination - and I suspect that beneath the hype, many phones are actually better than the iphone!:glasses3:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always wondered what those people sounded like in the early days of MS Windows! Theyre almost as famous as Bill Gates...just cuz people laugh when they read theyre quotes...it will never catch on etc. lol

If youve never tried it...itd be hard to base an opinion on anything..ive even test rode a BMW GS would you believe!! The darkside tempted me....

Anyhow - this isnt about the phone - its about an APP that you can use on 'A' phone (Andriod also works).

Cracin app thats a great extension of the website and still has room to develop. I love the idea of being able to just locate great biking roads near wherever I am as long as ive got 3G signal or close.

It should also be simple to add routes on the phone as you can on the website = more chance of the like of me doing it when ive got 10 mins to spare or the wife is watchin EastNationDaleStreet things. I sit at a pc all day so cant be bothered at home.

I did wonder if maybe they could expand into green lanes for the true off road users to keep us all posted!

Agreed...... although I'd like a smartphone for "outdoors" web access, GPS etc, I don't want to aid and abet Apple in their quest for world domination - and I suspect that beneath the hype, many phones are actually better than the iphone!:glasses3:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It also works on my I-pad, great for when you want something a little different for a change.:thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought it, then realised I was already a member on the website and still sellotaped my directions to the tank on a bit of recycled paper and got lost anyway - just to cover all the bases. Perfect day. :D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I always wondered what those people sounded like in the early days of MS Windows! Theyre almost as famous as Bill Gates...just cuz people laugh when they read theyre quotes...it will never catch on etc. lol

If youve never tried it...itd be hard to base an opinion on anything..ive even test rode a BMW GS would you believe!! The darkside tempted me....

Anyhow - this isnt about the phone - its about an APP that you can use on 'A' phone (Andriod also works).
i know how i sound but im not an uninformed old codger, i had an iphone for a week and thought it was sh##e so swapped it for a tocco which was even worse. and now the "fantastic must have" iphone4 is having plenty of problems too (apple have been overstating the efficiency of the aerial, among other things. all very familiar). plenty of my mates are iphonists and love em, annoying the hell out of the rest of us with the aforementioned swordfighting and vuvuzela noises shinanigins but its not for me im happy with a cheap nokia with buttons, YES, BUTTONS! that has never let me down, has a long battery life and finds a signal almost anywhere. and only costs me £10pm.
i was nearly swayed by a nokia x6 the other day, but only because it came with sat nav but ive got a zumo so i didnt bother, it was another fiver a month for 18mths

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Ahh the iPhone debate.
According the pc pro the htc desire is now the smart phone to have and has been on the "A list" for the past few months knocking the iPhone off.
I am close to being an apple fanboy after having a iPhone 3G and 3GS and now have purchased an iPad. As smart phones the iphones are great and IMHO nothing with windows mobile on comes anywhere near for what i want.
Sure there are some things that the iPhone doesn't do well, but it is one hard act to follow.
The iPad is building on the iphone platform but hasn't quite found its niche yet.

Loving the app... I'm tempted to build something for the forum to make it easier to browse on a mobile device.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've just progressed from the old Nokia with buttons to the X6, a stunning phone with all the apps I'll ever need from a phone.
It works well as a phone, does texts, connects to my bluetooth intercom, plays mp3's straight to my helmet when I'm not blethering to Fiona on intercom or phone, it surfs the internet either 3g, wifi or GPRS, plays flash files, has a 5mp camera and the sat nav is actually quite good.
Bestbikingroads might be interesting when in an unknown area but hardly a necessity! Just as well as it might not be compatible with my Symbian o/s!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave

Before you build something, there is a product called taptalk which has a free plugin for the site which has an app priced at £2.39 I think.

Buried in the suggestions area.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/comments-suggestions/47654-tapatalk-installation.html

I thought it might be worth doing a poll among iPhone/android users to see how many would use it to make it worth you all managing it as I'm sure you will all have to deal with user issues.

I like the idea of an app that loads text only, hiding images until selected much like twitter feeds do. Main reason is so it downloads less mb on use.

Just checking the Tld update pages whilst in Roi cost me £20! Some posts had images included.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Love them or hate them the best way to get a new phone is to buy them outright.
It is then just a matter of getting a sim only deal, which are for shorter terms and cost less per month.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm tempted to build something for the forum to make it easier to browse on a mobile device.
Do it, I have an I pad and it find it so usefull. I use it to browse this forum. Took it to France and Scotland in the Panniers, all wrapped up in a peli case, boots up in 20 seconds and with the mapping and web access available it really added value to the hollidays.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Ahh the iPhone debate.
According the pc pro the htc desire is now the smart phone to have and has been on the "A list" for the past few months knocking the iPhone off.
I am close to being an apple fanboy after having a iPhone 3G and 3GS and now have purchased an iPad. As smart phones the iphones are great and IMHO nothing with windows mobile on comes anywhere near for what i want.
Sure there are some things that the iPhone doesn't do well, but it is one hard act to follow.
The iPad is building on the iphone platform but hasn't quite found its niche yet.

Loving the app... I'm tempted to build something for the forum to make it easier to browse on a mobile device.
There's also rumours of the the new touchscreen iMac's being dual boot with OSX and the iPad software when they eventually do come out.

Personally I don;t have an iphone or any other large screen phone as they tend to last 5 minutes with me.. Broke 4 laptops before we got a panasonic toughbook ;) and have also destroyed 2 phnes and 3 pocket PC's in the last 12 months alone

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
There's also rumours of the the new touchscreen iMac's being dual boot with OSX and the iPad software when they eventually do come out.

Personally I don;t have an iphone or any other large screen phone as they tend to last 5 minutes with me.. Broke 4 laptops before we got a panasonic toughbook ;) and have also destroyed 2 phnes and 3 pocket PC's in the last 12 months alone
You are obviously in need of the military tested equipment, designed to withstand being dropped and shot and bounced.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
One of the phones I broke recently was a panasonic toughphone :(
Haas it something to do with your job?
Testing equipment, if it survives you it should survive a war zone.:D:D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I'd never heard of this bestbikingroads thing. Checked out the website, and found a rather tiny selection of roads in the Netherlands, and half of what there is is complete and utter rubbish.

The good roads on there get complaints about being too narrow and having bad road surface. Yes! More of that please. :)

I suspect there's a few cruiser riders on there, and I'm tempted to stick in a few dirt roads. ;-)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The good roads on there get complaints about being too narrow and having bad road surface. Yes! More of that please. :)

I suspect there's a few cruiser riders on there, and I'm tempted to stick in a few dirt roads. ;-)
LOL - Im with you on that one - im looking to add roads in my area but im sure the racerep boys will end up in the ditch somewhere...bonus!

The site does need a section for 'off-road/green lane' or 'dual sport' too. I imagine the off-road is harder as it used google and it aint got the details of OS maps but the dual sport cat would easily allow us to identify roads that dont bore us.....ive seen some reviews on roads with twisty high speed corners which on a TA means, boring open and full of a##eh###s on sports bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts