Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of treating myself to a new laptop, I want small but perfectly formed, long battery life, compact, dvd drive and card reader, any suggestions? I'm currently using a note book and it's fine other than no dvd drive :thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Problem with laptops are the number of makes and options, everyone has their own favourite, I have a Dell laptop and find it OK.

·
Registered
924 Posts
We use Dell at work. They are a bit pricier, but very well made, (even our incompetent and ham-fisted sales force rarely break them), and the hardware support is very good (at least the business support is).

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Er cough, cough. I just specced a top of the range Macbook Pro, but with a big screen for the office desk the cost was more than £3,500.

It is for business though.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Er cough, cough. I just specced a top of the range Macbook Pro, but with a big screen for the office desk the cost was more than £3,500.
Yes but despite being great machines Mac lovers tend to lose sight of value for money bit and fall for the hype and looks.

A bit like BMW owners...

Oops. that's me

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Yes but despite being great machines Mac lovers tend to lose sight of value for money bit and fall for the hype and looks.

A bit like BMW owners...

Oops. that's me
Actually highly specced laptops are expensive - solid state hard drive because I walk round with my laptop still turned on in my rucksack etc.

The Macbook Pro is even smaller and lighter than my current Macbook but will more than cope with the heavy load I put on it.

To cope with the major softwares I use (even if I did or could switch to PC versions) and the video and audio editing etc, I'd need a PC laptop that was at least as highly specced and expensive.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
i got me a hp pavilion dm3 1030ea 13" screen very thin , no DVD built in but supplied with a usb one 4gb ram etc etc,
Merv

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Depends what you want to spend really stuart, this Sony is our notebook of choice at the moment but comes in at around £2100.
batterylife is about 6.5hrs, 13.3 X-Black screen, 2.53ghz dual core processor, 6gb memory and a 250gb solid state hardrive...(solid state being - no moving parts so less power consumption and less susceptible to damage/failure)

Your configurationProcessor:Intel® Core(TM) i7 Processor Operating system:Genuine Windows® 7 Professional Finishes:Black
Hard drive:256 GB Ultra SATA Flash SSD Memory:6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM Optical Drive:DVD disc drive Display:33.3 cm LCD, 1600x900 + webcam Connectivity:Wireless WAN Security features:No Fingerprint and no TPM Battery:Battery life up to 6.5 hours Headphones:No headphones Ports:3 USB Ports Microsoft Office Suites:No Microsoft Office Suite Internet security:McAfee® - 60 days protection Adobe Acrobat:No Adobe® Acrobat® Standard Adobe Creation:No Adobe® Creation Adobe® Lightroom®:No Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom
Also IncludedKeyboard:English QWERTY keyboardMemory cards reader:SD and MS card slotGraphics:NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GBAC Adapter:1 AC AdapterWireless LAN:Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®HDMI(TM) output:HDMI(TM) output

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Look into the new generation Sony Vaio's, I have a Vaio VGN-TX1XP, it's one of the older ones but fully specced and runs windows 7 fine, 11.1" screen, 2GB of ram, Solid state hard drive, DVD Writer, Card reader and about 6 hours of battery life.

It is small sleek and stylish, ideal for packing into the panniers on a long trip for the lonley nights in the tent, I use external hard drives full of movies. :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
DC's specced Sony shows My Macbook Pro is not overpriced.

It has 2.66Ghz processor, 8Gb ram, 512Gb solid state hard drive, 9 hour battery life, load of extras, including three year Applecare warranty and support.

Remove the 24 inch screen and some other software and you're well below £3,000

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Proper high end laptops are expensive, indeed.

I like Thinkpads X-series, and a new one of those will set you back at least as much as a macbook pro. (Except it'll have a better keyboard :mrgreen:)

Mine's the refurb X60s with the extended battery. Fiveish hours with the screen on full brightness, 12" screen that'll fit in my tank bag, decent keyboard, and no optical drive 'cos I hardly ever use them anyway. And light.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The first thing to decide is what's the budget...
Nope, this is Stuart we're talking about.

He could sell one of the many bikes his wife knows nothing about:D

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
DC's specced Sony shows My Macbook Pro is not overpriced.
Ahh yes but think of the saving in buying software for a pc rather than overpriced Mac software will give you.......:rolleyes:

We aint gonna convince you that Macs are nothing more than a fashion accessory are we Chris:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
We aint gonna convince you that Macs are nothing more than a fashion accessory are we Chris:D
One look at me would tell you fashion is not in my dictionary.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
One look at me would tell you fashion is not in my dictionary.
How can you say that Chris.......the custard coloured Crimpolene Safari suits and a Cravat are back "IN" aren't they?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I changed from a PC Laptop to an IMac.
I got fed up with Windows and have necer got on with Lunix, so this time I bought a Mac and now I am quite happy with standing around on corners.:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, this is Stuart we're talking about.

He could sell one of the many bikes his wife knows nothing about:D
There's only two that she's unaware of, :angel5:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts