Honda XRV Forum banner

New member and two up Morocco

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TsvetanVR 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm a new member but a long time reader always find myself here after Google searches so I though it was about time I become involved. I have a 1991 600 transalp.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever done much two up touring on the 600 transalp. I'm planning a trip to Morocco this September with my new girl friend. Never really don't much camping or long distance on the transalp before. Any advice. Tips and modifications to the bike would be great. I was planning on selling to get a rd07 but the price's now are hellish and I don't think the extra CC and fuel capacity is worth it.

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the house of fun
I took my '89 two up round Ireland and Brittany as well as a few solo trips, at steady 40-60mph (mostly back roads with some A roads) I was getting 60-65mpg 2 up so the extra weight of fuel for the Africa only really cancels out the extra fuel used IMO.
Never really felt underpowered except for really steep hills.
Make sure your charging system is in good health and your CDIs are ok with the updated mount and you'll be golden.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Welcome to the house of fun
I took my '89 two up round Ireland and Brittany as well as a few solo trips, at steady 40-60mph (mostly back roads with some A roads) I was getting 60-65mpg 2 up so the extra weight of fuel for the Africa only really cancels out the extra fuel used IMO.
Never really felt underpowered except for really steep hills.
Make sure your charging system is in good health and your CDIs are ok with the updated mount and you'll be golden.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I replaced one CDI two years ago as it failed what else would you recommend and what mount ?? Thank you for your reply I will have a few days of motorway slugging just to reach Morocco but after that will be keeping it steady

#6 ·
you need to make sure your CDs sit like this. ie with the "longer" side down

if they don't, you need to get the updated cradle....(see pic)

i would also get yourself a tall screen and/or a screen extender thingy, if you are doing any motorway riding

Automotive tire Hood Cannon Motor vehicle Bumper

#8 ·
Thanks guys just ordered the new mount great stuff love cmsl. Anyone got any advice on satnavs and route planning software ?? Never owned a satnav so I'm totally in the dark. I think the 600 transalp will he fine two up. We are both skinny light people so I think it will do well. Going to change the rear shock and rebuild the pro linkage. Can't wait to get going now

#13 ·
I think the 600 transalp will he fine two up. We are both skinny light people so I think it will do well. Going to change the rear shock and rebuild the pro linkage. Can't wait to get going now
I believe it will do just fine. Me and my girlfriend ride in supreme comfort on my 650. I almost never feel that she's on the bike at all. I do need to get a windshield extender as right now all the buffeting goes straight to my chin vent. But then again, I've never been 2-up on anything but a sports bike so can't compare it to a bigger ADV or touring alternative.

I saw a youtuber who mounted foot pegs on the front crash bars of his GS just to be able to rest/stretch their legs on the highway sections. That looked pretty useful. I've had to ride 1000km of motorway in a day on my S1000R and that definitely wasn't the most pleasant experience ever. :D

#10 ·
Ditch the stock mirrors and get DoubleTake mirrors (Doubletake Mirror |) with Ram mounts.
I can't tell if you have crash bars but if you don't get Givi bars or an equivalent. The plastic parts are unobtainable.

Two up you probably want a new rear shock and reset the spring for the load including luggage. While you're at it get the front fork cartridge emulators. Transalp front ends dive faster than a cheap bar girl when the fleet's in!

I replaced my rear shock and got the emulators at the same time. It was better than when I bought it new. I just got back from a week in Death Valley and a week in Baja. Had no troubles when the the trail got ugly and the giant GSs were wallowing.

Good luck with your trip (and girlfriend). I loved Morocco when I was there years ago.

#12 ·
The stock mirrors are fine as long as you never fall down. If you go down you can break the mirror and, more disastrously, the mirror mount.
The Double Take mirrors are jointed and will fold out of the way should you take a tumble thus saving expensive parts. The adventure mirror also gives you a broader view of the road behind you.
Lastly, they actually stand behind their products 100%. I dropped a mirror in the shop and cracked the glass. Totally my fault. I sent them a note explaining that it was me, not them, and they sent me a new glass at no charge. If only other companies were this good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.