Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I've done a deal and am going to px my 2000 Honda City Fly for a 94 Transalp, - see it on Motorcycle news,

Would really appreciate any help on what I should be looking out for when I go to do the deal? Clunks and smoke???

It's gonna be used on my daily commute 30 miles round trip (have a triumph Thunderbird Sport for sporty crusing and taking the wife out on Sundays) It'll be living out the front of my house so wasn't looking for something that I was worried about scratching or getting wrecked over the winter, - also hope to do some green laning over the summer, so could well get dropped at some point?

Bike looks straight no SH, but will have 12 mths MoT, a service, and 1000 mile guarantee - all be it 200 miles from my home Northampton - York, (said it'd take about a week to sort the service out so am picking up next weekend)

The dealer is also taxing the bike (at cost) and has agreed to let me take it out for a test ride, so hopefully all good, (trader also said he has a 2001 TA but couldn't see it on the web and was more than I wanted to spend)

Many Thanks and happy riding.

Rich.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The main things to look for are the same as for any bike.
One thing would be to get a look at the drive shaft and front sprocket, you want to be sure they are not worn and bodged.
I would however think about going for the newer 2001 model as it is a newer model.

·
2,701 Posts
Welcome.

Usual checks / noisy / smokey etc., as any bike.

Wheel rims commonly rot away, check for signs round valve hole and spoke holes.

Important . . . . check gearbox output shaft splines for wear (where front spocket fit's). . . remove gear lever and sprocket cover, remove keeper plate from sprocket and slide sprocket toward you, . . you can then see splines behind sprocket.
This check takes 10 minutes, you need; 8mm and 10mm socket's, short extension, ratchet, 10mm spanner and a small torch. . . . I would let them know you will need to do this check before the deal can be completed.

Do a search on 'output shaft', . . . plenty info on here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome.

Usual checks / noisy / smokey etc., as any bike.

Wheel rims commonly rot away, check for signs round valve hole and spoke holes.

Important . . . . check gearbox output shaft splines for wear (where front spocket fit's). . . remove gear lever and sprocket cover, remove keeper plate from sprocket and slide sprocket toward you, . . you can then see splines behind sprocket.
This check takes 10 minutes, you need; 8mm and 10mm socket's, short extension, ratchet, 10mm spanner and a small torch. . . . I would let them know you will need to do this check before the deal can be completed.

Do a search on 'output shaft', . . . plenty info on here
Thanks Airwolf, Just read the post about the Output Shaft, nightmare scenario. My mechanical abilities are really basic, - Basic stuff like changing the oil and filter, adjusting the chain, fitting heated grips and replace the clutch cable etc.

Luckily I have a good guy down here that's works on bikes (and & a understanding misses). I don't think I'd be confident getting stuck into the bike at the shop. Do you think its worth asking them to check? or just cross my fingers and either get someone to mic weld the sprocket if it proves to be a problem? or swapping the engine - worst case scenario (I'm not going to be doing any big miles on it, not yet anyhow).

Thanks. Rich.

·
2,701 Posts
Thanks Airwolf, Just read the post about the Output Shaft, nightmare scenario. My mechanical abilities are really basic, - Basic stuff like changing the oil and filter, adjusting the chain, fitting heated grips and replace the clutch cable etc.

Luckily I have a good guy down here that's works on bikes (and & a understanding misses). I don't think I'd be confident getting stuck into the bike at the shop. Do you think its worth asking them to check? or just cross my fingers and either get someone to mic weld the sprocket if it proves to be a problem? or swapping the engine - worst case scenario (I'm not going to be doing any big miles on it, not yet anyhow).

Thanks. Rich.
Ask them to show you.
10 mins for their mechanic to clinch a deal should be no problem.
If they are reluctant walk away . . . as they probably already looked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in York- do you want me to pop over & give it the once over for you- my wife had, until recently a Transalp.
Have you already done the deal ??
Hi Rod,

Thanks dude,

Would be amazing if you could pop over to the shop and take a look over the bike for me.

I rang the dealer on Friday (whose also a mechanic) and asked if he'd check the output shaft was OK when they changed the sprocket and chain , he seemed to think I was over reacting for asking - and a bit confussed saying the bike isn't shaft driven - I tried to explain where the problem could be but he just said that the bike is OK.

I've no reason to think the dealer is anything less that 100% (- they've already said they'll give a 1000 miles guarantee, which is miles better than an ebay deal,) but as I'm 200+ miles away and having read about the output shaft problem am now having second thoughts.

Brain is a bit scrambled now as have put down £100 on the bike (via card). But if the bike is all there it's a good deal.

I've left it that I'll speak to them on Wednesday when they're doing the service but if you could pop over any time this week I'd be amazing.

Thanks.

Rich.

·
Registered
485 Posts
OK- Richard... I saw it today. Priced at £1295 in the showroom.
Confirmed it was being sold to a chap in Northanmpton- (you)
I had a quick look around it- I did not hear it running, but...
I went into the back to where the bikes get preparred. A new mechanic has started work there. I know the mechanic who serviced the bike. He is very competant. I spoke with him and he confirmed he has worked on the bike and replaced the FRONT & rear sprocket along with the chain- All looked new. The front sprocket had not been tac welded on:thumbleft:- a service was carried out as they had promised.

I hope I have been of some use to you

Regards

Rod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK- Richard... I saw it today. Priced at £1295 in the showroom.
Confirmed it was being sold to a chap in Northanmpton- (you)
I had a quick look around it- I did not hear it running, but...
I went into the back to where the bikes get preparred. A new mechanic has started work there. I am a Driving Standard Agency qualified motorcycle instructor & I know the mechanic who serviced the bike. He is very competant. I spoke with him and he confirmed he has worked on the bike and replaced the FRONT & rear sprocket along with the chain- All looked new. The front sprocket had not been tac welded on:thumbleft:- a service was carried out as they had promised.

I hope I have been of some use to you

Regards

Rod
Rod, you're a star, thanks a million.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be a good un, thanks again!

Rich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Richard- Have you collected it- was it what you expected- first thoughts etc

details!
Hi Rod,

Not yet, they're seeing if they can deliver it (when they send another bike down this way) failing that I'll be able to pick it up at the end of the month,

Rich.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts