Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My sister and brother-in-law moved back to the UK from Spain about seven years ago and brought with them their XL600VR. They're now moving to France and don't want to take the bike with them so it's mine! It was never registered in the UK but looking at the paperwork I have it appears to have been exported from Spain. I've been through the NOVA process before but this will be interesting given the history, we'll see.
I had a few jobs to sort out to get the bike going, one CDI shot, neutral switch, clutch switch, rear indicators perished, loads of other 'little' things and very dirty having been stood. The rear mudguard has been (badly) repaired at some point and I'd like to replace that if anyone has one for sale.
BUT..... and I have owned countless Hondas over the years..... what I can't get my head around is the way the seat fits on the bike, I don't mean actually fitting it but the way it appears to be about 15mm short of the tank. I engage the lug at the front of the seat under the tank mount and then fit the two screws at the rear. There is no adjustment, the seat position is determined by the two screws at the rear and the tank position is determined by the mounting bolt. Also, the little black rubber pads on the seat are actually in contact with the frame so it is sat down correctly.

Fluid Musical instrument Liquid Fin Metal

The reasons I can think of for this are:
1) I'm an idiot
2) It's the wrong seat (but it does have MM9 - 78 printed on the underside which (I think) is correct)
3) The seat has somehow bent up at the front. The brother-in-law is a giant of a man, (ex rugby international second row) and the bike did spend most of it's life in Madrid where it is very hot.

If anyone lives close to Devizes where I could compare seats that would be fantastic.

So, any ideas anyone before I get the heat gun out and try to persuade it back to a sensible position? Is this a known problem?

Thank you in advance,
Chris (and here's the bike).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
the seat should not look like that. i think the seat has been either bent or modified in some way

on every 600 i have seen the seat fits snug against the tank. as per this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the underside of the seat there are two witness marks, like little cuts, where the seat presses against the tank mounting plate but no sign of modification. I suspect it's simply bent. The heat gun might have to be the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts