1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been lurking here for a while thought id say hello
virtual beers in!
i havnt bought a bike yet but i am pondering on one at the moment

Ive previously had a ktm adventure 950 but have been offered a 99 africa twin as a part ex on another bike im getting rid of. To be honest it wasnt something id thought of but looks good value for the money

What should i be looking for?
Also am i going to be really disappointed having owned the ktm in the past?

cheers

Sam

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
welcome aboard. I am not technically minded but have ridden a 01 AT for 6 years and to be honest I can't really say anything bad about the bike. It's proved to be the best bike I'd had until then.
Not sure about comparing it to the KTM as I've never ridden one but I guess some folks will be along soon with much more informative opinions thne mine...
good luck with your choice!

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I previously owned a 955 Tiger, when I first changed to the AT I though "Jesus what have I done?" the power difference was massive 115bhp down to 60bhp, to be honest it took me over 6 months the start to appreciate the AT and realise it was such a different bike.
Recently I had a bit of a spill and I thought my AT was going to be a right off so I started looking at other bikes (namely Tigers and ATs) but it suddenly occurred to me that there wasn't another bike on the market that I wanted.........I had become attached to my AT and really enjoyed riding her for completely different reasons than the Tiger

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
been lurking here for a while thought id say hello
virtual beers in!
I havnt bought a bike yet but i am pondering on one at the moment

Ive previously had a ktm adventure 950 but have been offered a 99 africa twin as a part ex on another bike im getting rid of. To be honest it wasnt something id thought of but looks good value for the money

What should i be looking for?
Also am i going to be really disappointed having owned the ktm in the past?

cheers

Sam
you should not be disapointed,

its down on power from the KTM, but should be more relaible :)

things to look for?

general condition of the plastics and the running gear, chain bearings tyres etc.

bike use..
boys toy or winter hack?

the toy will be shinny with bling the winter hack a wee bit duller

bike specific

its an RD07 so the build quality is not as good as old ones :D
gear box shaft bearing & splines..

Check that the gearbox sprocket is not welded on !! tight chain can stuff the bearing and the shaft spines.. ( big engine out job to sort )

Fuel pump.. see if its the original, if so change to a facet contactless on ( Under £30 and simple )

Rectifier regulator.. easy fix slot a new R1 unit in..

Starter solinoid.. clean contact and check for heat damage

Wheel rims check for corrosion..

thats it really.. I picked up an old one from a guy here that has had a hard life then been stored for 4 years.. cleaneed and serviced it and am going through the 'weak' points.. great bike virtually just whiped it down with an oily rag and then did 2000 miles in 5 days ( including the TLD charity run )

if you hate it you will have no probs moving it on :angel10:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
60bhp!!:shock: my adv had 98 it wheelied everywhere:thumbup:

this is what ive been told about it
"Although completely solid and a great ride, there are some scratches to the decals and the gold wheel rims are faded in places. As you might expect for a 58k mile bike, although it has been very well maintained. About 2k miles ago it had new Continental tyres, new chain, sprockets, brake pads and the wheels were rebuilt with stainless spokes. Less than 1k miles ago it had a new battery and a £500 service."

its a 99 t plate and its offered to me for £1400 ono sound ok?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
the phrase "bite his hand off" comes to mind, to be honest... sounds too cheap or v.stupid man or more money than sense. I'm not sure that some bikes on ebay are worth their asking price.. but check-out the completed listings & bikes in auto trader. Been told the 950adv is the ktm to have, comparison with the AT... Hhhmmm, Subaru vs Landrover. both great in their own way.

ps.... love mine ... almost 20k miles in 12months, had to replace fuel pump £25! 30 mins. Can ktm claim that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they do look very pricey on ebay for their age. This chap just took in as a px against his bike to help sell his. he just wants back what he paid it seems

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
they do look very pricey on ebay for their age. This chap just took in as a px against his bike to help sell his. he just wants back what he paid it seems

Bargin

·
White van man
560 Posts
At that price it's a no-brainer, buy it, if you don't like it, bung it on fleebay and make a healthy profit.
If it's a 99 on a T it will be an RD07A, never came with gold rims, only earlier models had these, so may have had new rims at some time. can only be a good thing.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
been said on here already. dont expect it to be as fast as the 950, being less powerful and possibly heavier(?) but it is a bombproof cheap to run bike which will take anything you throw at it with minimal home servicing costs. and IMO one of the best looking bikes ever made, especially in certain colour options.
£1400 sounds good, theres an older one (but with hard givi panniers) for sale locally at £2000

1 - 14 of 14 Posts