Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all,

I am from the US and being transferred by my company to Ireland - they pay for my move and if I want, will ship my 2021 Africa Twin.

Is there anything special I need to be aware of if I decide to take my bike? I have heard the headlights are reversed and that the brake lights flash under hard braking for y'all.

Anything else? How much of a pain is the MOT?

I do have an aftermarket slip on Arrow can, but otherwise she is pretty much bone stock. Pic prior to me adding the exhaust.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Howdy!
The only thing you might have an issue with is the headlights as they are usually biased to the left for Right Hand Drive (drive on the left) countries. But you may be lucky and discover that your bike has a flat dipped beam cut off. My old Honda Bros, imported from Japan, does, so was fine when I took it to Germany for a few years. If you’re not so lucky, you might need to buy some new headlights unless there is an adjustment built in on your newer bike.
I can’t imagine that your Arrow slip-on can will be an issue as such alterations are common. Most vehicles don’t have flashing brake lights under emergency braking.
There will be some paperwork, which shouldn’t be too bad (I’m assuming Ireland won’t be that different to the UK).
Too good an opportunity not to bring it over I would say.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
580 Posts
Be aware that it's reputed to always rain in Ireland, so invest in some decent waterproofs and copius amounts of cleaning stuff for the bike 😄 Aside from that, it's great and there are some fine roads.... the one time I took my XRV there for a week it was wall-to-wall sunshine, so the perceived general rule of rain-rain-rain very kindly halted for me! Many years before that, I actually lived in N. Ireland for a couple of years and can testify to the general veracity of the rain-rain-rain issue!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends if it’s Southern Ireland or Northern Ireland ?
I live in the south and there is a very relaxed attitude to bikes and tests. We have no MOT or NCT ( National car test ) for bikes. Yearly motorbike tax is €86 or €26 for anything over 30 years old. Lots of new model Africa twins on the roads here as they really suit our road system and shitty roads. So you should have no issues importing a private bike that you own. Lots of American imports on the roads here especially Harleys and no issues getting them registered and onto the roads here so no headlight or exhaust change needed. Police very rarely pull bikers for anything like exhausts etc and as long a you don’t take the piss on the road will never be stoped. Probably best to check in advance on insurance cost here as it can be very expensive if you are under a certain age like 25 or don’t have a no claims bonus so check to see if your can get cover here at a reasonable price. I pay about €400 a year but that is for 4 bikes including v strom 1000, xrv650 and BMW K1100rs . Best of luck if you are bringing it over and you will really enjoy the roads here especially out west and the Wild Atlantic way etc, which is almost built for a large adventure type bikes. and yes investment in a good set of waterproof gear it’s money well spent, as they say here if you can see the mountains it’s going to rain and if you can’t see them it is raining 😜
ps: also invest in a good locking system, bike theft can be a problem but really just in large urban areas like Dublin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts